54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 12.96%
  • No

41 75.93%
  • I am good with both a reboot and a continuation of the current series

6 11.11%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Eventually they will in some form. RDJ won't be the last actor to play Tony Stark. Chris Evans won't be the last actor to play Steve Rogers. Tom Holland won't be the last actor to play Peter Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    No, I don't think it makes sense for the MCU to be rebooted at all.

One of the sometimes underrated USP's of the Marvel Universe is the fact that its basically one gigantic sprawling interconnected narrative that's been ongoing from 1961 to the present-day (1941 when you consider the Golden Age stuff, particularly Captain America, that was grandfathered in). Ignoring a few retcons and cosmetic changes, its the same continuous story. That's something even DC can't claim, given its constant reboots (not to mention the fact that it didn't embrace serialized storytelling and character evolution until long after Marvel did).

The MCU has basically been able to bring that spirit of an ongoing shared universe to the big-screen over the last nearly 15 years. Yes, its easy to get bored of it sometimes now and forget just what a, well, marvel it truly is!

Moreover, the MCU has the potential to truly evolve in ways that its comic-book counterpart cannot (or rather won't) - because it cannot keep its characters perpetually young and doesn't need to maintain any kind of status quo. So heroes can retire or die and new heroes can take their place. You don't need to keep telling the same stories over and over again...you can tell new ones with familiar characters, or familiar ones with new characters.

And with the X-men and Fantastic Four coming into the picture, the MCU is poised for a creative renaissance...even if Phase 4 so far hasn't quiet lived up to the previous phase. (which I suppose was to be expected after something like Endgame).

I mean, realistically, do we need to see Tony Stark building the suit again? Do we need to see the Avengers assembling for the first time again? Do we need to see them fighting Loki or Thanos or Ultron again? Because, one way or another, that's what your getting with a reboot.

Instead we get to see Rhodey potentially becoming the new Iron Man, in spirit if not in name. We get the possibility of new Avengers line-ups led by different heroes. We get to see new villains who haven't been explored on-screen yet.

And the best part is that with the Multiverse, the MCU can have its cake and eat it too. We can get a new Tony Stark or Steve Rogers down the line. Hell we could even get a new version of the old ones if RDJ and Chris Evans are game! Hell, maybe we can get our own little ''Ultimate MCU''-type universe that runs parallel to 616 MCU (as its now been officially labelled). Anything's possible. Everything's possible.

I love DC and admittedly I'm more a DC fan than a Marvel fan. DC does a great job finding new ways to tell the same old stories of Batman fighting the Joker, Superman fighting Lex Luthor and Zod, and so on. But the ethos of DC as a brand has always been building up (and then reinventing) individual franchises that occasionally crossover. Marvel's legacy has been a cohesive interconnected shared universe. That's the house Lee and Kirby built. And that's what the MCU should honor.
    My thoughts exactly.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

They will eventually, that's just kinda inevitable.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Eventually, of course. I think the question was about doing it now, which makes no sense to me given the current successful results and the depth of untold stories.

One of the sometimes underrated USP's of the Marvel Universe is the fact that its basically one gigantic sprawling interconnected narrative that's been ongoing from 1961 to the present-day (1941 when you consider the Golden Age stuff, particularly Captain America, that was grandfathered in). Ignoring a few retcons and cosmetic changes, its the same continuous story. That's something even DC can't claim, given its constant reboots (not to mention the fact that it didn't embrace serialized storytelling and character evolution until long after Marvel did).

The MCU has basically been able to bring that spirit of an ongoing shared universe to the big-screen over the last nearly 15 years. Yes, its easy to get bored of it sometimes now and forget just what a, well, marvel it truly is!

Moreover, the MCU has the potential to truly evolve in ways that its comic-book counterpart cannot (or rather won't) - because it cannot keep its characters perpetually young and doesn't need to maintain any kind of status quo. So heroes can retire or die and new heroes can take their place. You don't need to keep telling the same stories over and over again...you can tell new ones with familiar characters, or familiar ones with new characters.

And with the X-men and Fantastic Four coming into the picture, the MCU is poised for a creative renaissance...even if Phase 4 so far hasn't quiet lived up to the previous phase. (which I suppose was to be expected after something like Endgame).

I mean, realistically, do we need to see Tony Stark building the suit again? Do we need to see the Avengers assembling for the first time again? Do we need to see them fighting Loki or Thanos or Ultron again? Because, one way or another, that's what your getting with a reboot.

Instead we get to see Rhodey potentially becoming the new Iron Man, in spirit if not in name. We get the possibility of new Avengers line-ups led by different heroes. We get to see new villains who haven't been explored on-screen yet.

And the best part is that with the Multiverse, the MCU can have its cake and eat it too. We can get a new Tony Stark or Steve Rogers down the line. Hell we could even get a new version of the old ones if RDJ and Chris Evans are game! Hell, maybe we can get our own little ''Ultimate MCU''-type universe that runs parallel to 616 MCU (as its now been officially labelled). Anything's possible. Everything's possible.

I love DC and admittedly I'm more a DC fan than a Marvel fan. DC does a great job finding new ways to tell the same old stories of Batman fighting the Joker, Superman fighting Lex Luthor and Zod, and so on. But the ethos of DC as a brand has always been building up (and then reinventing) individual franchises that occasionally crossover. Marvel's legacy has been a cohesive interconnected shared universe. That's the house Lee and Kirby built. And that's what the MCU should honor.
    They can probably keep this going for twenty years.

Part of it is they're able to swap out characters. Tony Stark gives way to Dr Strange. Thor was supposed to give way to Black Panther. Captain America gives way to Captain Marvel and to another Cap.

Marvel Comics has tried that, but it just hadn't worked. You don't know beforehand if a new sets of characters will be the New X-Men or the New Universe. The films can pick and choose, which is especially important when it takes a while to crystalize a character's appeal. It took a generation before Silver Surfer was able to explore the cosmos. It took a while to realize Carol Danvers should be Captain Marvel, or that Black Panther should have a sister.

I don't think they can keep this going forever. Eventually they'll run out of A-listers.

But it's a good thing if it takes as long to get a new Tony Stark as it did to get a new Mary Poppins.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Very similar to what I said. The movies can avoid what some see as the strengths of the comics but that I (perhaps from a perspective of 50+ years) see as the weaknesses, and that is, the endless repetition and facelifts to the same characters. But a Tony Stark who genuinely has a life story and an ending to that story matters. For me, comic Tony Stark just sort of faded away as do all comic characters.
    Power with Girl is better.

Why would they reboot? They have already set up or are in the process of establishing legacy characters for the original Avengers, and the ones so far have been fairly well-received (yelena, Kate bishop.. with sam wilson cap being the only really controversial legacy character thus far). Hemsworth and Ruffalo seem up for more anyhow. And obviously there will be some character who picks up BP's mantle as well. And MoM is doing great at the box office.

By the time they get thru trilogies with the new characters, the de-aging/face swapping cgi they used on Downey in Civil War and for Luke in Mando may have advanced to the point where its feasible to bring back some of the original characters for more, even if the actors are older and not up for doing as many stunts etc. But even if not, as long as they can make new characters people find compelling, i don't think they have any worries. I do think Eternals flopped in this respect, not many of those characters are ones i really feel compelled to know more about. Unfortunately MoM could have done a better job with wanting viewers to see more of America Chavez, imo, although the movie didn't really hurt the character either. I do think marvel did a nice job with Shang-Chi, would definitely like to see more of all three main characters.

The only argument for rebooting is really "i never liked the mcu in the 1st place". nothing wrong with not liking mcu but i don't see any reason why they would reboot at this time.

Agreed with what many have said - they don't need to call it a reboot, they can change actors/character histories and personalities without that much worries. The MCU is its own thing that doesn't need to play by established film rules.