Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are you under the impression that the movies (which include Batman v Superman) are the only Batman adaptations we've had since 2005?
    Movies aren't the only adaptations, and the Snyderverse was a ****show.

Its possible. Wouldn't mind seeing a team-up between Bats and Supes. Where Supes needs Batman's detective skills to help track down, maybe Intergang (whom is backed up by an alien/meta that requires Supes). They work together, if a bit reluctantly on Bats' part, but when evidence that they moved into Gotham, he agrees.

Retired

I've always made a distinction between the Batman in the solo stories in his own book and the Batman in the team-up stories in other books (WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA et al). For the fun of seeing the character with other heroes, I just allow that he's going to see super-powered folks and even get super-powers himself.

But I never liked it that much when this bled over into his own world. In those Batman comics, I wanted to see a guy who can get beat up and has to struggle to figure out mysteries (that with enough clues even I could figure out).

When super-powered folks invade his world, he ends up becoming essentially a super-hero--with a super-brain, super-skills, super protocols that put him ahead of the game--he could never get beat by Johnny Witts now that he's a super-powered know-it-all who is steps ahead of any adversary or co-worker. He's essentially Superman, which is why Superman himself has a hard time finding work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've always made a distinction between the Batman in the solo stories in his own book and the Batman in the team-up stories in other books (WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA et al). For the fun of seeing the character with other heroes, I just allow that he's going to see super-powered folks and even get super-powers himself.

But I never liked it that much when this bled over into his own world. In those Batman comics, I wanted to see a guy who can get beat up and has to struggle to figure out mysteries (that with enough clues even I could figure out).

When super-powered folks invade his world, he ends up becoming essentially a super-hero--with a super-brain, super-skills, super protocols that put him ahead of the game--he could never get beat by Johnny Witts now that he's a super-powered know-it-all who is steps ahead of any adversary or co-worker. He's essentially Superman, which is why Superman himself has a hard time finding work.
    I disagree. Batman is proof that superpowers don't make you a hero, so why can't the same be said for villains? He can have a tough time fighting some of Black Mask's henchmen and an easy time fighting Martians. Powers don't make someone "better" or some new caliber of hero. It's always been Batman's intelligence that allows him to operate with his fellow Justice Leaguers, and him getting beat up by thugs or solving smaller mysteries doesn't diminish that at all.

I think Tower of Babel and the BatJerk/BatGod wave that followed portrayed Batman inaccurately, like he was basically unstoppable and better than everyone. That almost implies that there are two Bruce Waynes, one for street level crime and one for supervillains. But really it's all the same guy, because it's not about the powers he's up against, but the people themselves.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I disagree.
    Do you? I'm not sure you do from all that you posted. You might actually agree with me and we've just got our wires crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Do you? I'm not sure you do from all that you posted. You might actually agree with me and we've just got our wires crossed.
    Perhaps. What I gathered was that you feel like the superhero Batman stories and detective Batman stories can't coexist in the same Gotham. I feel the opposite.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Perhaps. What I gathered was that you feel like the superhero Batman stories and detective Batman stories can't coexist in the same Gotham. I feel the opposite.
    Well obviously they do co-exist. I'm not blind. I'm just saying how I like my Batman comics and my own preferences. It's not anything for anyone else to agree with or disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Movies aren't the only adaptations
    Um, yeah. That was my point. There have been several adaptations where Batman interacts with other superheroes. That was the entire premise of Brave and The Bold. Which is why integrating the Justice League into Reeves's film would be unnecessary; it wouldn't exactly be treading new ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Not really. MCU avoided jumping the shark by establishing a shared universe. The MCU of 2008 is far more grounded than the MCU of 2022.
    Jumping the shark doesn't mean what you think it does.

Do you seriously think no one like DCAU Batman until he was part of a shared universe? Because I assure you there was nothing grounded about that show before it existed in a world with Superman.