Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Could the Justice League fit into the Matt Reeves Batman Universe?

Talking about tone, visuals, etc. If you think it could work, how would you incorporate them and make Batman relevant?

Shouldn't this be in the TV/Film forum?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Probably not.

Anything is possible with good writing.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

I wasn't a huge fan of the movie and I don't think they really can.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

No.
    I think neither Reeves OR Nolan's vision of Batman works alongside the JLA.

One of the things I liked about Snyder's JL was that he didn't portray Bruce as 'UberBat'.
    He struggled fighting the Parademons and was completely outclassed against Steppenwolf.
    Yet Affleck still made him cool.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

No. Like Nolan's trilogy before it, it's not built for the whole shared fantastical world of the Justice League. Superman wouldn't have worked in the Nolanverse, and The Batman is even more grounded and gritty! Just stop. I loved this movie, best DC superhero movie in years. I'm thankful that this out of universe film somehow came to be. But putting Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash in this world explicitly made only for Batman is not a good idea.

The DCEU is getting a mini reboot in the Flash. It's building up to an even bigger reboot later allegedly. We don't need to shoehorn in a shared universe in a universe meant to be the opposite of that.

only if you tremendously nerf the other Justice League members
    The J-man

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    only if you tremendously nerf the other Justice League members
    You could do something like Landis' American Alien type of story with all of the JL members to make it work.

Or

You can go the Morrison route and level up Batman and basically turn him into BatGod which could work since in The Batman he's only on year 2.

You could build out his arsenal, training, intergalactic connections, and build up his Bat Family. If writers did that I can see it working.

I mean it works in the comics I can see it work in the movies as long as the writing is locked tight because cinema goers have a harder time letting go of their incredulity.

Let's be real right now. Robert Pattinson already went through the horrible experience of filming the twilight saga. I doubt he would be up for something like the Justice League. (I'm not saying it can't be good, but it doesn't seem like something he would be interested in)

Retired

I solved this case on the Superman forum--

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    On the matter of how to situate Superman in the world of Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN, one thing I notice is that even the most grounded Batman movies always have some creative leap that makes them science fiction. The most grounded Batman movies are actually the Adam West movie from 1966 and the two serials from the 1940s, because they used all practical effects and stunts and couldn't go far beyond what the real world allowed.

In THE BATMAN, there's some tech that's suggestive of BLACK MIRROR. In the Charlie Brooker anthology series, what's real is toyed with. A lot happens in simulated realities. If there's tech that can create virtual worlds--places where people can escape from the horrors of modern living--then, in such worlds, fantasies about life on other planets and super-human abilities can be realized.

So, in the world of THE BATMAN, the Man of Steel could exist as a fantasy. However, there's a grounded angle to that, as the cyber world is a place where we all exist and do commerce. Nations and terrorists commit acts of violence through that medium. Bruce Wayne might have to enter that world to pursue criminals from his real world--so in that way Batman could cross paths with Superman.
    --just throw in the rest of the super-powered heroes to boot.

I think that there's a Jurassic Park quote that exemplifies this idea: Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Probably not.

There might be a way that Pattinson's Batman can join the League in movies that take place outside of Gotham; that way Reeves' vision can remain untouched and the movies can largely ignore what goes on outside of Gotham.

But even then, this Batman is so aesthetically stripped down that it would be jarring seeing him next to shinier more colorful heroes. Not to mention his physical (and possibly detective-related) abilities don't communicate the level of mastery needed to even make him relevant. That could change later on though.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    No.
    I think neither Reeves OR Nolan's vision of Batman works alongside the JLA.

One of the things I liked about Snyder's JL was that he didn't portray Bruce as 'UberBat'.
    He struggled fighting the Parademons and was completely outclassed against Steppenwolf.
    Yet Affleck still made him cool.
    Yeah I did like that. He was impressive in a whole lot of ways, but at the end of the day still human.

Retired

I don't know. His super-lenses (which I can't see being possible with present day technology) and his ability to survive explosive blasts to the face and chest seem more outlandish than any movie Batman to date.