Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default Aunt May needs to know Peter’s identity again

Ever since OMD, Aunt May has been trapped in limbo, with her character not progressing too much ever since she forgot Peter’s identity. The marriage arc with Jay was nice, but after he died and after Tom King’s Friendly Neighborhood run, Aunt May hasn’t really progressed in the past few years. I think Peter re-revealing his identity would strengthen her character and her bond with Peter, they even have a chance to make it a parallel to the first time he revealed his identity to May, since Romita Jr. is on the book rn.

You could make the excuse they were playing it safe for movie viewers crossing over getting into ASM, but that excuse doesn’t work any more now that spoilers:
    Aunt May has known Peter’s identity since the end of Homecoming in the MCU, and she was killed in NWH, something 616 wont ever commit to.
    end of spoilers

I feel like there might be some editorial mandate not allowing this to happen, since Peter has re-revealed his identity to most key characters that knew it pre-OMD except for Aunt May. Even Norman now knows it again after forgetting it for a decade. I just really want Peter and Aunt May to have a stronger bond and trust of each other, much like it was pre-OMD.

(I am not a pre-OMD purist and always love ASM, even through the controversial choices, love to see new things happen, this post is just about a pet peeve of mine.)

Edit: Tom Taylor, not Tom King lol
    Last edited by Crazyspideyfan; 05-09-2022 at 10:25 AM.

BANNED

Until she relearns the identity or becomes a great aunt to his kid, Aunt May will remain irrelevant.

Incredible Member

You have to question Marvel's thought process here. Peter had no issue revealing his ID to Black Cat after her heel turn. Why? He felt bad. Okay fine. But Aunt May is supposedly the person he cares for the most and yet he still keeps her in the dark? Jonah knows and that's okay? How many heroes know? Norman Osborn knows again and that puts May in ten times the danger. Yet Aunt May doesn't know? There is no real excuse as to why she shouldn't know. It's just lazy and stupid writing.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    Ever since OMD, Aunt May has been trapped in limbo, with her character not progressing too much ever since she forgot Peter’s identity. The marriage arc with Jay was nice, but after he died and after Tom King’s Friendly Neighborhood run, Aunt May hasn’t really progressed in the past few years. I think Peter re-revealing his identity would strengthen her character and her bond with Peter, they even have a chance to make it a parallel to the first time he revealed his identity to May, since Romita Jr. is on the book rn.

You could make the excuse they were playing it safe for movie viewers crossing over getting into ASM, but that excuse doesn’t work any more now that spoilers:
    Aunt May has known Peter’s identity since the end of Homecoming in the MCU, and she was killed in NWH, something 616 wont ever commit to.
    end of spoilers

I feel like there might be some editorial mandate not allowing this to happen, since Peter has re-revealed his identity to most key characters that knew it pre-OMD except for Aunt May. Even Norman now knows it again after forgetting it for a decade. I just really want Peter and Aunt May to have a stronger bond and trust of each other, much like it was pre-OMD.

(I am not a pre-OMD purist and always love ASM, even through the controversial choices, love to see new things happen, this post is just about a pet peeve of mine.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Until she relearns the identity or becomes a great aunt to his kid, Aunt May will remain irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    You have to question Marvel's thought process here. Peter had no issue revealing his ID to Black Cat after her heel turn. Why? He felt bad. Okay fine. But Aunt May is supposedly the person he cares for the most and yet he still keeps her in the dark? Jonah knows and that's okay? How many heroes know? Norman Osborn knows again and that puts May in ten times the danger. Yet Aunt May doesn't know? There is no real excuse as to why she shouldn't know. It's just lazy and stupid writing.
    Generally cosigned, especially the last part, since when Norman found out again, he did send a symbiotically corrupted Normie to kill Aunt May in the most vicious and sadistic manner he could and she had to be saved by Otto Octavius in his Superior Octopus phase. Norman might be "cleansed" of his sins now and capable of regret and remorse for them, but how long will that really last?

That said, to slightly correct the first poster here, it was Tom Taylor who wrote the second volume of Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, not Tom King. Given King's prior work at DC with Batman (and more disgracefully, Heroes in Crisis), though, I'm not sure I would give him Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

One of the ugliest remnants from OMD and there's no reason not to let go of it.

Aunt May needs to get back to be dead as per ASM #400

Astonishing Member

Cosigned all of this. Peter needs to tell her personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    That has nothing to do with the topic.

I honestly didn't care much for how they treated her character once she learned he was Spider-man. Rather than it feeling like any kind of organic growth, it felt like she became an entirely new character altogether.

Personally, I prefer the idea of her not knowing, at it leaves a segment of Peter's life unconnected to his life as Spider-man as well as further enforcing the idea that you don't have to share your entire life with somebody for them to still care about you and you for them. I realize that's an unpopular opinion in today's word of Twitter and facebook where people feel the need to share there every stray thought but there was just something comforting about Peter having a parental figure that is able to go "You don't have to tell me what the problem is, but just know that I'm here for you."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Personally, I prefer the idea of her not knowing, at it leaves a segment of Peter's life unconnected to his life as Spider-man as well as further enforcing the idea that you don't have to share your entire life with somebody for them to still care about you and you for them. I realize that's an unpopular opinion in today's word of Twitter and facebook where people feel the need to share there every stray thought but there was just something comforting about Peter having a parental figure that is able to go "You don't have to tell me what the problem is, but just know that I'm here for you."
    My issue with this is that it just doesn't make sense for her not to know. Everyone else knows. Jonah of all people knows. Osborn knows again because of Jonah. Two of Spider-Man's biggest threats. Another issue is Peter has so many clones and everyone associated with the clones all know about Peter and his life too. Too many people know. Way too many. But aunt May shouldn't? Why?

Astonishing Member

My issue with this is that it just doesn't make sense for her not to know. Everyone else knows. Jonah of all people knows. Osborn knows again because of Jonah. Two of Spider-Man's biggest threats. Another issue is Peter has so many clones and everyone associated with the clones all know about Peter and his life too. Too many people know. Way too many. But aunt May shouldn't? Why?
    Because none of the writers feel like it's important for Peter to tell her. He could do that easily by this point but won't because of reasons.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Because none of the writers feel like it's important for Peter to tell her. He could do that easily by this point but won't because of reasons.
    She has outlived the need to be character in the main universe unless she's like a an aunt to Peters children. That's a whole new area that needs to be explored

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I honestly didn't care much for how they treated her character once she learned he was Spider-man. Rather than it feeling like any kind of organic growth, it felt like she became an entirely new character altogether.

That would work better if this was like pre-2000's again where very few people actually knew who's behind Spidey's mask, but nowadays we have so many people who know it's ridiculous (To the point Zdarsky's Spectacular had Karnak knowing it), and Spidey never gives any excuse to not tell aunt May, he doesn't tell her just because.

In particular I don't really care about aunt May for not knowing, right now her character is useless and I doubt she'd be less useless even if she did know considering comics barely develop the supporting cast, so her knowing or not is kinda inconsequential to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    this is the way
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

She doesn't. The idea that longtime characters need to die or get shook up in a lazy matter is wrong. It's the mindset that brought us the unmasking in Civil War.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That would work better if this was like pre-2000's again where very few people actually knew who's behind Spidey's mask, but nowadays we have so many people who know it's ridiculous (To the point Zdarsky's Spectacular had Karnak knowing it), and Spidey never gives any excuse to not tell aunt May, he doesn't tell her just because.

In particular I don't really care about aunt May for not knowing, right now her character is useless and I doubt she'd be less useless even if she did know considering comics barely develop the supporting cast, so her knowing or not is kinda inconsequential to me.
    Too many people know and not enough is done with the supporting cast are two completely separate problems and letting Aunt May know might do something for May, but it won't do anything for the other two problems. It's probabaly just make them worse. They need to focus on fixing things rather than just charging on ahead and adding to what's wrong.