Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    And I find fan reaction every bit as entertaining as anything, quite frankly.
    I especially like the ones that don't pay attention to valid points, move goalposts, or think they're somehow the 'superior' stan because they find reactions so amusing and would rather see a franchise wallow in static mediocrity, thus showing they don't actually care for it and probably never did to begin with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I especially like the ones that don't pay attention to valid points, move goalposts, or think they're somehow the 'superior' stan because they find reactions so amusing and would rather see a franchise wallow in static mediocrity, thus showing they don't actually care for it and probably never did to begin with.
    I just want an entertaining story. I've read both with and without the marriage. But neither are as funny as the fan reaction, TBH.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

I just want an entertaining story. I've read both with and without the marriage. But neither are as funny as the fan reaction, TBH.
    Slott was wrong (but what else is new). Peter Parker isn't Charlie Brown - Peter Parker's fans are.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Slott was wrong (but what else is new). Peter Parker isn't Charlie Brown - Peter Parker's fans are.
    I enjoyed parts of Slott's run, but I can't disagree with that second part in the least.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Buuuut, I do think that we should let OMD rest in it's ashes. Who knows, maybe a non reaction is the best reaction.
    People are reactive by nature, that would be difficult, specially since Marvel references OMD once in a while, and they keep MJ around, which's also a reminder of OMD.

Nah. OMD deserves all the loud derision it receives and more. Staying quiet just gives Marvel what it wants.
    Whining about it and still buying comics is giving Marvel what it wants, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    At this point, I think it's best to just let the marriage go. It's been 14 years since it ended, there have been People who were born after the marriage and started reading Spider-Man comics in that time. The only People who care about it aren't the audience that Marvel is going to listen to, they'll buy Spider-Man no matter what or are a small margin of an audience that listening to them isn't worth Marvel's time.
    It sucks, but wanting it back will only hurt more. The best you can do right now is either vote with your wallet, or enjoy the stories you do enjoy. Otherwise you get something like Spencer's run, a run which I do actually like (even if I have issues) but spent so much time trying to fix what the writer didn't like about Spider-Man that he forgot to add his mark on the mythos.
    I can only wonder how many younger people are dumb enough to read this incomprehensible disaster that are comic books lol.

Like sure, I'm sure there are those who read, but how many? Comic books are hilariously niche, and if they're gonna read a comic it'll most likely be manga.

Yeah, the way either side gets really dramatic about it can be pretty funny, but then it stops being funny, and then it somehow becomes funny again, it's weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Whining about it and still buying comics is giving Marvel what it wants, so no.
    There’s whining and then there’s eternally laughing at Marvel editorial for being creatively bankrupt storytellers who hang on to a failed story that makes Peter Parker morally a supervillain - he aids and abets Mephisto - out of sheer pettiness.

I agree Marvel wants the marriage crowd’s money. That’s why they hold the OMD football and encourage fans to come kick it so often. But I do think they wish people would shut up about how terribly written and what a character breaking story OMD is, however. Or we wouldn’t get the “If you don’t like it, stop engaging” rhetoric not only from other readers, but pros.

I can only wonder how many younger people are dumb enough to read this incomprehensible disaster that are comic books
    I used to think one of my greatest failures was not getting my nieces and nephews into Spider-Man comics. Now I understand they were just far smarter than me.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-19-2022 at 03:28 PM.

There’s whining and then there’s eternally laughing at Marvel editorial for being creatively bankrupt storytellers who hang on to a failed story that makes Peter Parker morally a supervillain - he aids and abets Mephisto - out of sheer pettiness.

I agree Marvel wants the marriage crowd’s money. That’s why they hold the OMD football and encourage fans to come kick it so often. But I do think they wish people would shut up about how terribly written and what a character breaking story OMD is, however. Or we wouldn’t get the “If you don’t like it, stop engaging” rhetoric not only from other readers, but pros.
    Marvel is a company, they care about making money than people talking **** about 'em, if people are whining but still giving them money, they're relatively happy.

I mean ****, they released OMD trade at some point, it probably sold a lot just because of how infamous that story is.

So yeah, vote with your wallet and whatever, but most people won't, buying **** out of habit even if they're not happy with it, or maybe even enjoying poorly written stories, yeah... Like I said in another thread, Spidey unironically suffers from success, he's just big enough that garbage like Clone Saga and OMD just damage him, but won't kill.

I used to think one of my greatest failures was not getting my nieces and nephews into Spider-Man comics. Now I understand they were just far smarter than me.
    It's a good thing you didn't, I think making children read current ASM would be considered a war crime .

Astonishing Member

Marvel is a company, they care about making money than people talking **** about 'em, if people are whining but still giving them money, they're relatively happy.
    Talking **** doesn’t always correlate to giving them money….

(There are legit and legal ways to keep up comic books without opening wallets. Just sayin’).

It's a good thing you didn't, I think making children read current ASM would be considered a war crime .
    It was the Slott era, so.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-19-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Talking **** doesn’t always correlate to giving them money….

(There are legit and legal ways to keep up comic books without opening wallets. Just sayin’).
    Not always, but the classic Tom Brevoort method of pissing off the fanbase to make 'em buy is still being used, it does work too which's the most annoying part, but it has plenty of issues, pissing off the fanbase intentionally is just damaging on the long run.

So yeah, they care about making money but aren't really good at it.

It was the Slott era, so.
    At least kids could find the weird gimmicky costumes to be fun I guess lol.

When did this topic move from Aunt May to "Spider-man, his stories, his comics, his creative team, and all his fans are all horrible"?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    When did this topic move from Aunt May to "Spider-man, his stories, his comics, his creative team, and all his fans are all horrible"?
    Someone mentioned OMD.

It's like Beetlejuice, only instead of saying Beetlejuice three times, you only have to say OMD once.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-19-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Spectacular Member

OMD.
    We are all so bitter.

Bring. Her. Back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    We are all so bitter.

Bring. Her. Back.
    This was awesome. This is what I meant when I wrote they improved her character over the years. Doesn't matter if she knows Peter's secret as long as she knows Peter himself.
    In the old days, she would have suffered her fifth (or sixth? I have lost count) heart attack.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 05-21-2022 at 01:02 AM.

This was awesome. This is what I meant when I wrote they improved her character over the years. Doesn't matter if she knows Peter's secret as long as she knows Peter himself.
    In the old days, she would have suffered her fifth (or sixth? I have lost count) heart attack.
    and still survive
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

and still survive
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy