Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

She should know.

The excuse always given is "Oh she can't handle it."

Yet look at all the **** she's been through the last few years. The Red Goblin, being saved by Otto, running FEAST, teaming with Otto, freaking CANCER.

That excuse doesn't fly anymore. Especially since they've hinted that she's known quite a few times.

Hell, even JONAH knows nowadays. And it's advanced their dynamic/bond.

No excuse to keep it from her.

Astonishing Member

The more people who know Peter is Spider-Man, the more the conflicts inherent in the secret identity are weakened and undermined. It's understandable that readers want good things for the characters they like, but it doesn't make for good drama.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The more people who know Peter is Spider-Man, the more the conflicts inherent in the secret identity are weakened and undermined. It's understandable that readers want good things for the characters they like, but it doesn't make for good drama.
    Just because readers want drama doesn’t mean that they always want drama. Isn’t that why people are annoyed by Peter and MJ’s “will they, won’t they” shenanigans?

If May learns his secret, instead of wondering where Peter is all the time, she can be worried about Peter being in mortal peril all the time and and having to keep his secret from his enemies.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Just because readers want drama doesn’t mean that they always want drama. Isn’t that why people are annoyed by Peter and MJ’s “will they, won’t they” shenanigans?

If May learns his secret, instead of wondering where Peter is all the time, she can be worried about Peter being in mortal peril all the time and and having to keep his secret from his enemies.
    Exactly. And "drama" is only good when it's not completely played out and constantly rehashed to diminishing returns . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I don't think that's what the "May should know Peter is Spider-Man" people are asking for though. Typically they want May to be badass and supportive of Peter's crime fighting life. Similar thing with Jonah. Similar thing with Mary Jane. From what I see on forums and social media, fans tend to want these things because they want Peter to fundamentally have a happy and stable life.

Extraordinary Member

I loved when May knew before. The way she researched Spidey and then sent that letter to the Bugle. The way she reacted when Peter was popping aspirin like M&Ms and it worried her while Pete and MJ were just like "do it all the time...my system works differently".

But as others have said it really comes down more to how his supporting cast is used...and these days they are shifting away from showing them as people with lives towards heroes always fighting bad guys.

I don't think that's what the "May should know Peter is Spider-Man" people are asking for though. Typically they want May to be badass and supportive of Peter's crime fighting life. Similar thing with Jonah. Similar thing with Mary Jane. From what I see on forums and social media, fans tend to want these things because they want Peter to fundamentally have a happy and stable life.
    Putting aside how there is nothing remotely wromg with May being badass and supportive, Peter's problems did not go away when she was in on the secret. This idea that Peter having people in his corner that he can share all of his life with removes all conflict and obstacles has no basis in fact and is not remotely what fans are asking for.

Astonishing Member

If Peter's girlfriend knows he's Spider-Man, that removes one conflict. If Jonah knows Peter is Spider-Man, and turns over a new leaf, that removes another conflict. If Aunt May knows Peter is Spider-Man and supports him, that removes yet another conflict. Who next? All of Peter's friends, like Randy Robertson and the others? It gets to the point where Peter's secret identity has no downsides and there's less and less push and pull between Peter's personal life and his Spider-Man life.

Astonishing Member

If Peter's girlfriend knows he's Spider-Man, that removes one conflict. If Jonah knows Peter is Spider-Man, and turns over a new leaf, that removes another conflict. If Aunt May knows Peter is Spider-Man and supports him, that removes yet another conflict. Who next? All of Peter's friends, like Randy Robertson and the others? It gets to the point where Peter's secret identity has no downsides and there's less and less push and pull between Peter's personal life and his Spider-Man life.
    Did Peter get a job yet? That can always be a source of conflict.

The idea that Peter can go on virtually forever without exposing his ID is always an issue, because 1) he rarely makes up competent enough lies so that people would be thrown off, 2) it strains disbelief that no one just finds out by accident, just like May did on JMS' run.

Plus, the painful lengths they've gone to undo the Civil War unmasking pretty much killed any dramatic tension about the secret, because we all know they're never gonna expose him again on 616 continuity.

It removes one type of conflict while keeping others available. It also doesn't mean everyone has to know Peter's secret identity. You're basically looking at the worst case scenario regarding story opportunities but it doesn't have to come to that. Every choice limits stories but it isn't much of a problem at all if you focus on what you can do instead of what you can't.

Neither does Jonah, but I’ll still keep him.
    He's basically Perry White now. The boss at a media outlet who has a reporter on staff who he's friendly with (unlike with Peter at the Bugle) but doesn't know is secretly a superhero (Perry only found out Clark was Superman when he admitted it to him just prior to going public).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    She should know.

The excuse always given is "Oh she can't handle it."

Yet look at all the **** she's been through the last few years. The Red Goblin, being saved by Otto, running FEAST, teaming with Otto, freaking CANCER.

That excuse doesn't fly anymore. Especially since they've hinted that she's known quite a few times.

Hell, even JONAH knows nowadays. And it's advanced their dynamic/bond.

No excuse to keep it from her.
    Maybe Jonah could be the one to tell her, by accident, mistakenly assuming she already knows? That could reignite the feud between Peter and Jonah too, giving him something to do when Silk doesn't have a book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Removing a source of conflict isn't a good idea, unless it directly opens the door for an equal or greater source of conflict. This series is expected to run as long as possible, the plates have to keep spinning.

The secret identity conflict has already been weakened, with all the people who know Peter is Spider-Man. Adding another character to that list weakens it further, especially when it's a central character who will always be in Peter's life and always have a presence in the series.

The biggest and most recurring fan demands I see on forums are from readers who want good things for Peter. He should be in a happy, stable and supportive marriage. Aunt May should know he's Spider-Man and be supportive. Jonah Jameson should be supportive of Spider-Man. The Avengers should deeply respect and look up to Spider-Man. Spider-Man should lead the Avengers. Peter should have a respectable and stable job. Peter should be a good mentor to Miles Morales. The public should trust and respect Spider-Man.

The fact that some readers want these things for Peter is good, it means they're empathising with him on some level. Actually putting all of these ideas in the comic is a terrible idea, because then the drama is weakened.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe Jonah could be the one to tell her, by accident, mistakenly assuming she already knows? That could reignite the feud between Peter and Jonah too, giving him something to do when Silk doesn't have a book.
    I definitely don’t want Aunt May to accidentally find out. Especially if this is just to create conflict between the three of them.

Removing a source of conflict isn't a good idea, unless it directly opens the door for an equal or greater source of conflict. This series is expected to run as long as possible, the plates have to keep spinning.

The secret identity conflict has already been weakened, with all the people who know Peter is Spider-Man. Adding another character to that list weakens it further, especially when it's a central character who will always be in Peter's life and always have a presence in the series.

The biggest and most recurring fan demands I see on forums are from readers who want good things for Peter. He should be in a happy, stable and supportive marriage. Aunt May should know he's Spider-Man and be supportive. Jonah Jameson should be supportive of Spider-Man. The Avengers should deeply respect and look up to Spider-Man. Spider-Man should lead the Avengers. Peter should have a respectable and stable job. Peter should be a good mentor to Miles Morales. The public should trust and respect Spider-Man.

The fact that some readers want these things for Peter is good, it means they're empathising with him on some level. Actually putting all of these ideas in the comic is a terrible idea, because then the drama is weakened.
    I am with you 100% here. This is what I keep trying to say but people keep responding with how they want him happy and boring.

Most of the time the talk about how Peter should grow as a character comes across to me as "I wish he was a completely different person. All the interesting things that brought me to Spider-man and made me enjoy him over the years, i want all of them gone."