All-New Member

Default Recommendations For Comics With Prison/Jail And/Or Courthouse Settings?

This is one of my favorite settings for fiction, and there's a surprisingly large number of comics that have done a compelling story involving characters being locked up or on trial. I'm looking for any recommendations other than the ones listed below, and preferably no older than 2000ish.

Daredevil has at least two arcs that I'm aware of with him in prison, and obviously a ton of courthouse/trial stuff.
    Punisher - The Cell, Punisher: Trial of the Punisher
    Civil War II
    She-Hulk
    Cap's most recent ongoing by Coates

I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting, but I'd love if anyone can point me towards some more.

My recommendation would be the Nicieza run from Thunderbolts,
    where Hawkeye allows himself to be arrested in order to secure Presidential pardons for his team...

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-09-2022 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

in moonshine, set in prohibition era, the main character (a new york gangster) spends a few issues in a southern prison (chain gang, hot box, etc.)

Another recommendation would be Captain Marvel from PAD, in which Genis-Vell cleverly finds a way to escape his imprisonment...

^^^Good choices, K7P5V!

I didn’t enjoy all the tie ins to the Age of X-Man event, but this one was pretty good,
    It’s a 5 issue mini, and the plot is…:

ENTER THE AGE OF X-MAN! In the Age of X-Man, when you break the law, you aren’t sent to just any prison. You’re sent to the Danger Room…a penitentiary filled with the roughest and meanest mutants that don’t fit into X-Man’s utopia. They each have a reason for being there. And they’re all ready to kill each other. But that’s about to change, because the newest prisoner just arrived. Lucas Bishop…

Astonishing Member

The '90s New Warriors side story when Vance kills his dad and the Judgment Day series from Liefeld's Awesome comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Good choices, K7P5V!
    Thanks, Riv86672! My next choice would be Escape from Blackgate (Nightwing #35; #36; #37).
    I know it's a bit before 2000, but anything from the Dixon/McDaniel run is highly recommended

Hellblazer #146-#150 (collected as Hellblazer Hardtime) has John Constantine going to prison.

In my usual shambolic way, only noticed this thread very late.

But one series I’d strongly recommend was primarily set in prison: Hard Time by Steve Gerber and Mary Skrenes