Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    Wait how old is she now then?
    and de aged how?
    She was 19 in the original Spider-Gwen series, and near the end spent a year in prison, so she should be 20. But the relaunch as Ghost Spider still called her a teenager.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    The pairing isn't dead yet. Reading any amount of Tiana + Miles makes it seem (most likely intentionally) flaky at best. Maybe even more so than Harry-65 + Gwen-65. It's not like people stopped pairing Peter with MJ when Carlie Cooper showed up, and Mary Jane got put on a bus. Or Felicia + Parker when she definitively 'lost'. Hell even for Morales' circle Lana, hasn't shown up in the book for over (or close to) a year and people (like me) still root for her. Tomoe hasn't shown up since her initial appearance and Kamala hasn't appeared in some 6 months and they still have followings. Marvel might not have writer tackling it at the moment, but they don't seem to mind the perception of it being a thing at some point since they allow bait covers teasing it. Compare it to say Cindy Moon and Peter Parker who haven't appeared together on a cover since those accusations of Asian fetishization. That's a pairing that is dead.

I thought they were talking about the time Superman went back in time and smooched a 15 year old Lana Lang. I didn't know about this.

That'd make her older than Gwenpool which would be weird.
    Not only that, but the way it came about in the first place was absolutely f***ed up, given that they were driven to "mate" by a link between their spider-senses stemming from both of them having been bitten by the same spider, so informed --- much less enthusiastic --- consent was completely out of the picture. I still don't get why nobody in an editorial position put a stop to that mess before spinning her off into her own series.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not only that, but the way it came about in the first place was absolutely f***ed up, given that they were driven to "mate" by a link between their spider-senses stemming from both of them having been bitten by the same spider, so informed --- much less enthusiastic --- consent was completely out of the picture. I still don't get why nobody in an editorial position put a stop to that mess before spinning her off into her own series.
    The gag probably would have worked in the 90s maybe even the 00s. Modern sensibilities obviously found it icky. The best version of the relationship in my opinion was probably Spider-man Fake Red, where it was toned down to being a unrequited crush from Cindy towards Peter.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Babs and Dick in comics.
    Babs and Bruce in Batman: animated series and Batman Beyond.
    Babs and Jason in 3 Jokers
    Babs and Tim in Arkham Knight video game
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She dated Luke Fox in the comics at one point too
    So, she has had relationships in different media with different members of he Bat-Family.

How, exactly, does that make her a "bicycle," a derogatory term for a woman who is perceived to have many partners? It's the disgusting, misogynistic and completely inaccurate term I was questioning.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Miles is with
    I didn't want to bring up any of Miles' other love interests because I didn't want this to turn into a shipping war when I have no objection to the couple as long as they age Miles up, not Earth-65 Gwen down.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    asexual.
    I'm asexual. A person can be in a sexual relationship and be asexual.

Gwenpool
    Even if Marvel intended Gwenpool to be Gwen Stacy, the age of one variant doesn't necessarily impact the age of another. An example would be Doc Ock in Marvel's Spider-man, who is 19 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    misogynistic.
    I understand the condemnation and edit the post to say, "Is shipped by DC executives with every lawfully permitted costumed male in the Batfamily". I'm familiar with the term as "Fandom bicycle," aka Launcher of a Thousand Ships. I've seen and used it interchangeably for fictional men and women, so I forgot it had connotations for other people. This is not an excuse but rather an explanation. I'm sorry my words caused offense to you and anyone else who might have read them. I'll try not to use it again.

In all those examples, she also dated Grayson(with Tim Drake, she secretly dated Grayson in the tie-in materials, and she's seen wearing a "Flying Graysons" necklace in the game). I wouldn't date my ex's brother, but I don't have a problem with her being a romantically or sexually active young woman. Luke Fox, one of the better choices as he is neither Bruce nor raised by Bruce, is in canon for JayBabs and DickBabs. The problem with dating the batfamily is that it's often not a logical exploration of her character. Or it punishes her for having sexual needs. Or uses her as an objectified fanservice prop for the robin costume. She didn't need to be used as a plot device to cause man pain and drive wedges between team members, such as when her pregnancy with Bruce's baby led to the team's dissolution.
    Last edited by Lunala; 05-17-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    I'm asexual. A person can be in a sexual relationship and be asexual.
    I know, but people came to that conclusion because Gwen doesn't seem very interested in relationships or romance in general, she's just not as vocal about it as, say, Nadia Van Dyne.

she's just not as vocal about it as, say, Nadia Van Dyne.
    Well I mean, Nadia is so affectionate (a real big hugger) you could possibly forget her Ace status without a verbal confirmation. Honestly to me, the concept seems to just confuse her with it being so abstract compared to science and math.

Spectacular Member

I know, but people came to that conclusion because Gwen doesn't seem very interested in relationships or romance in general, she's just not as vocal about it as, say, Nadia Van Dyne.
    To me, Gwen's availability seemed more like a way to ship-tease her and get a feel from the audience on who Marvel should eventually commit to as a romantic partner. Then someone pointed out that Marvel might be contrasting MJ with Gwen, and I can see that too. Aging Peter down to his mid-twenties makes him more "viable" as a love interest for Ghost Spider and the anti-marriage Editorial. If her connection to Gwen didn't prevent Marvel from briefly pairing Peter Parker with Sarah Stacy, the variant might not be safe. I prefer the asexual reading, but comics have made me cynical.

Well I mean, Nadia is so affectionate (a real big hugger) you could possibly forget her Ace status without a verbal confirmation. Honestly to me, the concept seems to just confuse her with it being so abstract compared to science and math.
    Well, she's never shown any romantic interest in someone (unless you read more into her female friendships, I guess) and I think Whitley had her explictly say she had no interest or "boys or romance" in two different comics, not that it automatically means she's ace but I think it was Whitley's intention even if he couldn't spell it out.

I think it was explicitly confirmed in a novel but that probably isn't canon.

To me, Gwen's availability seemed more like a way to ship-tease her and get a feel from the audience on who Marvel should eventually commit to as a romantic partner. Then someone pointed out that Marvel might be contrasting MJ with Gwen, and I can see that too. Aging Peter down to his mid-twenties makes him more "viable" as a love interest for Ghost Spider and the anti-marriage Editorial. If her connection to Gwen didn't prevent Marvel from briefly pairing Peter Parker with Sarah Stacy, the variant might not be safe. I prefer the asexual reading, but comics have made me cynical.
    I don’t see her and Peter getting together, not with ITSV putting her and Miles together. Would be really weird, and last thing Marvel is going to want is to have Peter and Miles in a love triangle. He and Gwen are pretty much guaranteed to get together at some point around the second movie’s release.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The gag probably would have worked in the 90s maybe even the 00s. Modern sensibilities obviously found it icky. The best version of the relationship in my opinion was probably Spider-man Fake Red, where it was toned down to being a unrequited crush from Cindy towards Peter.
    Ah, you read Fake Red, too? Cool.

Spectacular Member

I don’t see her and Peter getting together, not with ITSV putting her and Miles together. Would be really weird, and last thing Marvel is going to want is to have Peter and Miles in a love triangle. He and Gwen are pretty much guaranteed to get together at some point around the second movie’s release.
    Weirder than this?

Keep in mind the extreme age differences, the fact that she was raised thinking Peter was her father, and that she was, at the time, the daughter of Peter's dead girlfriend. Comics are all about generating that sweet controversy foot traffic.

Weirder than this?

Keep in mind the extreme age differences, the fact that she was raised thinking Peter was her father, and that she was, at the time, the daughter of Peter's dead girlfriend. Comics are all about generating that sweet controversy foot traffic.
    Does the potential incest make this worst than the Mattie Franklin hook up?

Weirder than this?

Yeah, true.

Does the potential incest make this worst than the Mattie Franklin hook up?
    That was entirely one-sided. Peter wasn't going for that with a 15-year-old girl, of all people, when he was still mourning Mary Jane (who turned out not to be dead, not for lack of trying on Marvel's part).

She dated Luke Fox in the comics at one point too
    Probably her least toxic relationship.

So of course they broke up off screen because the writers wanted to shove her with Dick again whom was simultaneously doing stuff with Kory.