Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    If she had met him when he was 18 and out of high school, that would be one thing. Marvel was doing this when he was 16 and it was illegal.

Yes, I do have a personal hang up over relationships where the minor crushed on the legal adult and the adults response was "Not yet". If the adult let this kiss continue in public she would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor, possibly be jailed up to one year, and fined. She didn't but that's not really the point. She continued touching him, laying her head over his shoulder in a manner intended to be romantic to the readers. Instead, her response should have been "Dude, you're a literal kid, no." It's fine for him to have a crush but since they decided to be creeps and have her reciprocate, the writers can wait until he is 20 before getting them into a relationship. These two are fictional ink creations incapable of feeling anything without creators plotting it out. I'm sure they'll survive.
    Last edited by Lunala; 05-11-2022 at 12:39 AM.

He was 17 there. Doesn't dialogue say that there's less than two years between him and the 19 year old Gwen?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Two years and some odd months. Spider-Gwen #15 places Gwen's at age 19 and #16 lists Miles at age 16. Since a month hasn't passed between #16 and #18, he was 16 when they kissed. Miles was a minor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Two years and some odd months. Spider-Gwen #15 places Gwen's at age 19 and #16 lists Miles at age 16. Since a month hasn't passed between #16 and #18, he was 16 when they kissed. Miles was a minor.
    A 16 year old and a 19 year old is no big deal.

BANNED

If she had met him when he was 18 and out of high school, that would be one thing. Marvel was doing this when he was 16 and it was illegal.

Yes, I do have a personal hang up over relationships where the minor crushed on the legal adult and the adults response was "Not yet". If the adult let this kiss continue in public she would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor, possibly be jailed up to one year, and fined. She didn't but that's not really the point. She continued touching him, laying her head over his shoulder in a manner intended to be romantic to the readers. Instead, her response should have been "Dude, you're a literal kid, no." It's fine for him to have a crush but since they decided to be creeps and have her reciprocate, the writers can wait until he is 20 before getting them into a relationship. These two are fictional ink creations incapable of feeling anything without creators plotting it out. I'm sure they'll survive.
    So, in your mind, if two 17 year olds are dating and one turns 18 first, suddenly they're a horrible person and a creep and dating a "literal child?" I think a lot of places don't actually consider it illegal if the two kids ages are close enough. I think there's a huuuuuge difference between an older person going after someone Miles' age and this, which seems pretty innocent.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 05-11-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Where I live, engaging in that activity would be a criminal offense, so, uh... I guess you're a proponent of lowering the age of consent, but I can't agree with this statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    No. Not really. Romeo and Juliet laws would usually protect someone as long as the couple was together before one reached their majority. If not, they can go without sex for a couple of months. Laws like that are in place to protect both parties, and they should avoid acts that would classify the older party as a sex offender. I am beginning to doubt this conversation will go anywhere. You feel it is harmless. I dislike it, and I can't even rely on a writer's good intent because the man who wrote the scene was let go due to sexual harassment allegations. Again, waiting until the fictional character is 20 hurts no one. It prevents the appearance of impropriety and I'm all for that. If that makes me "judgmental", I have that right.

BANNED

Where I live, engaging in that activity would be a criminal offense, so, uh... I guess you're a proponent of lowering the age of consent, but I can't agree with this statement?

No. Not really. Romeo and Juliet laws would usually protect someone as long as the couple was together before one reached their majority. If not, they can go without sex for a couple of months. Laws like that are in place to protect both parties, and they should avoid acts that would classify the older party as a sex offender. I am beginning to doubt this conversation will go anywhere. You feel it is harmless. I dislike it, and I can't even rely on a writer's good intent because the man who wrote the scene was let go due to sexual harassment allegations. Again, waiting until the fictional character is 20 hurts no one. It prevents the appearance of impropriety and I'm all for that. If that makes me "judgmental", I have that right.
    Fair enough. It just seemed a bit harsh. I didn't know that about the writer, though.

I don't think you magically become mature when you hit 18. It's a bit of a spectrum. I see nothing wrong with Miles+ Gwen. There's no power disparity between them and as far as age gaps go, 2 years is peanuts. Your parents are more likely to have a age difference larger than that. If some 16 year old could be tried as an adult because they had understanding of what their crimes were a 17 and 19 year old could get together without denouncing 1 as some sort of groomer. Both of them can not purchase alcohol in NYS.

Can't even count how many Seniors were dating Juniors/Sophomores in High School and nobody batted an eye tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    I don't think you magically become mature when you hit 18. It's a bit of a spectrum. I see nothing wrong with Miles+ Gwen. There's no power disparity between them and as far as age gaps go, 2 years is peanuts. Your parents are more likely to have a age difference larger than that. If some 16 year old could be tried as an adult because they had understanding of what their crimes were a 17 and 19 year old could get together without denouncing 1 as some sort of groomer. Both of them can not purchase alcohol in NYS.
    I would agree with that. There's nothing wrong with their relationship. Now if Gwen was 22 and Miles was 16 then there'd be more problems. But 16-18 or 17-19 there's no problems with imo. No one would see a problem with 17-15 either. I saw that a lot in high school where there were people dating that had a 2 year age gap between 17-15 and yes I knew Seniors that dated Sophomores and the age gap was 18-16 and even some Seniors dating Juniors where the age gap was 18-16. No one really batted an eye there and there was no 'power dynamic manipulation' that had to do with it, that would be the case if someone was say 22 and their partner was 16.

So yeah, nothing wrong with Gwen and Miles 'age gap', whether it's 15 months or 1.5-2 years.

These aren't the old comics days where the 30 year old Green Lantern dated a 15 year old, or where in his late 20s Superman was making out with his cousin whom was 14 at the time. Miles and Gwen is NOTHING like that, nor is it comparable.

Yeah, I don't see how the two-year gap is problematic, eps. considering they met as minors, so whatever relationship they have grew from that instead of from between a legal adult and legal minor, not to mention how loosey-goosey comics get with age and the passage of time.

(Also, are Miles and Gwen even an item in the comics? I know the Spiderverse movie series have been showing their Miles and Gwen developing feelings for each other, but that's its own thing.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, I don't see how the two-year gap is problematic, eps. considering they met as minors, so whatever relationship they have grew from that instead of from between a legal adult and legal minor, not to mention how loosey-goosey comics get with age and the passage of time.

(Also, are Miles and Gwen even an item in the comics? I know the Spiderverse movie series have been showing their Miles and Gwen developing feelings for each other, but that's its own thing.)
    Not at the moment. Aside from "Sitting in a Tree," they're friends at most.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not at the moment. Aside from "Sitting in a Tree," they're friends at most.
    Wow, that's a lot of discussion over something that's not even happening. (Dollars to donuts, the romantic alternate cover probably has more to do with the movies building a love story between the characters than anything else.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of discussion over something that's not even happening. (Dollars to donuts, the romantic alternate cover probably has more to do with the movies building a love story between the characters than anything else.)
    People have to have something to do, although is it a coincidence that they're both starring in miniseries revolving around their respective Multiversal variants?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    People have to have something to do, although is it a coincidence that they're both starring in miniseries revolving around their respective Multiversal variants?
    I'd guess it's for synergy with the upcoming movie. Course, if the movie pulls the trigger on Miles and Gwen becoming a couple, could the comics doing the same for synergy, too.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Can't even count how many Seniors were dating Juniors/Sophomores in High School and nobody batted an eye tbh.

I would agree with that. There's nothing wrong with their relationship. Now if Gwen was 22 and Miles was 16 then there'd be more problems. But 16-18 or 17-19 there's no problems with imo. No one would see a problem with 17-15 either. I saw that a lot in high school where there were people dating that had a 2 year age gap between 17-15 and yes I knew Seniors that dated Sophomores and the age gap was 18-16 and even some Seniors dating Juniors where the age gap was 18-16. No one really batted an eye there and there was no 'power dynamic manipulation' that had to do with it, that would be the case if someone was say 22 and their partner was 16.

So yeah, nothing wrong with Gwen and Miles 'age gap', whether it's 15 months or 1.5-2 years.

These aren't the old comics days where the 30 year old Green Lantern dated a 15 year old, or where in his late 20s Superman was making out with his cousin whom was 14 at the time. Miles and Gwen is NOTHING like that, nor is it comparable.
    Wait, what? When was Superman and Supergirl a thing?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman