Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman’s Strength and Power Through the Ages

Besides “inconsistent,” how would best describe the upper limits of Diana’s strength and power and her limitations across the ages:

Golden Age
    Silver Age
    Bronze Age
    Modern Age

Do you have preference for how her strength was portrayed during one of the ages?

For one thing I wish she didn't fly, but whatever

Ones established by Perez in his reboot were simple enough: superstrength, speed, flight, immune to fire, animal empathy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Besides “inconsistent,” how would best describe the upper limits of Diana’s strength and power and her limitations across the ages:

Golden Age
    Silver Age
    Bronze Age
    Modern Age

Do you have preference for how her strength was portrayed during one of the ages?
    TBH, the only really problem I did have with golden/silver age Diana WAS that her powers were inconsistent. But everything back then, especially under Marston, took a back seat to whatever social/politic topic or ideology was being represented. Same thing with her limitations, the whole "being bound by a man" thing was directly in line with Marston's core belief of domination and submission when it came to power structures. Obviously, Diana would free herself as that was the point, but she would go from pulling suns and fighting gods to basically Superman with kryptonite levels of helpless because someone, usually a man, tied her up for a bit.

Wasn't bronze age when she lost all her godly powers? That was kind of stupid.

In terms of modern age, Diana is almost constantly touted as this amazon goddess, this immensely powerful being and an unconquerable warrior, but when it comes time to display this, she faulters behind a lot of heavy hitters. I mean just the number of times she's background decor, writers getting her powers wrong, the lack of explosive creativity/power with action scenes, the over reliance on equipment rather than her own powers just to name somethings. I mean some writers don't even justify why certain villains can beat her. I'm glad that Cloonrad has Diana give a "your strong and fast" line here and there so we have some verbal confirmation with new villains, but, as an example, Deathstroke. Like, I'm suppose to believe that Deathstroke, a guy that gets his but handed to him by Nightwing at times, possesses the superstrength to fight kind of evenly via artwork against Diana? Sorry, no. This goes with weaknesses to, I'm not trying to turn this into another thread about her bullet weakness, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far in this day and age for a character in her position. She needs new ones.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    For one thing I wish she didn't fly, but whatever
    You forgot to mention street level fighting abilities. If she didn't fly, then she could swing around on her lasso like in the mall scene in WW84.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Ones established by Perez in his reboot were simple enough: superstrength, speed, flight, immune to fire, animal empathy, etc.
    If writers were consistent, then most of us wouldn't have this argument. Yet, we have movies like Justice Society where all she has is superstrength and speed and still needs help to take on Aquaman on land, or get curb stomped by Superman in the Justice League movie.

I would love to have consistency with Diana and her rogues. They should never have used Cheetah in the Catwoman movie. It just pisses on her reputation even more than it has when Batman one shotted her.

Have consistent powers, have editors that follow up on this rule, and then the writers can concentrate on the stories with character aplenty.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    You forgot to mention street level fighting abilities. If she didn't fly, then she could swing around on her lasso like in the mall scene in WW84.
    Fellow fan, I never said that's what I wanted. I said that it wasn't a big deal to me as it was to you. Cmon you don't need to be sassy

If writers were consistent, then most of us wouldn't have this argument. Yet, we have movies like Justice Society where all she has is superstrength and speed and still needs help to take on Aquaman on land, or get curb stomped by Superman in the Justice League movie.

I would love to have consistency with Diana and her rogues. They should never have used Cheetah in the Catwoman movie. It just pisses on her reputation even more than it has when Batman one shotted her.

Have consistent powers, have editors that follow up on this rule, and then the writers can concentrate on the stories with character aplenty.
    This isn't the topic of this thread. I'm not saying you can't post something out of context, but I just want you to be aware

Yup. (10char)

Fellow fan, I never said that's what I wanted. I said that it wasn't a big deal to me as it was to you. Cmon you don't need to be sassy
    From all that I have read from your posts, you definitely want a superhero in Wonder Woman more on par with Spiderman than Superman.

From all that I have read from your posts, you definitely want a superhero in Wonder Woman more on par with Spiderman than Superman.
    I don't want Superman or Wonder Woman to move planets. That's it. I know you dislike this, but it has nothing to do with me lacking love for the characters. Cmon now

Alright, both of you guys, calm down now. The two of you both know each other's positions on this. Let's not derail a thread, all it takes is one person choosing not to respond.

I don't want Superman or Wonder Woman to move planets. That's it. I know you dislike this, but it has nothing to do with me lacking love for the characters. Cmon now
    Sorry to masterwitcher88 but I have to respond to this comment. I have never, and I repeat never, wanted any Superhero to push or move planets. It's a stupid straw argument that people use when they can't find another reasonable argument to the contrary.

But Alpha, if you can produce documentation that I have ever said this or wanted her to move or push planets or even implied it, than I will leave the messageboard. But for all those folks that might think of this as a godsend, Alpha will never be able to find this because I find it beyond stupid and the writers who write it. Again, you are probably confusing me for another poster.

I would love for Wonder Woman to be at the power level of Superman during the Byrne reboot years. Powerful, but fallible. But then power creep kept on accruing with other writers and if other superheros didn't also power up they would fall by the wayside. In this respect, you can probably blame all the editors at DC to let this happen.

Okay that's good to hear. I probably did confuse you with someone else. I never said Diana should be a streetfighter either

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Same hear.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~