Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    In the Silver Age, Diana didn't fly by herself, she used air currents.
    Which is largely a distinction without a difference.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I like to tone down powers in general. But if Supes can retain his flight...Im cool with WW keeping hers. Her preferring a nice jet is a good way to differentiate her and gives her something to bond over with Steve/Hal.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Interesting discussion on Diana flying. Personally, I'm pro-Invisible Jet cuz that's an awesome idea. However, I'm okay with flying. It's a nice add-on. I just want Diana to be treated like the powerhouse she is.

Diana is the literal daughter of Gaea. She emerged from the Earth's "womb" that fateful day when Hippolyta molded Diana from Themysciran clay. To me, Diana should be as strong and durable as the earth itself. And yes, bullets should not pierce her skin. The whole bullets-and-bracelets thing (an iconic element of Wonder Woman lore that I LOVE) has always seemed to me like a [somewhat showboating] exercise to sharpen her senses, reflexes and speed, and to protect OTHERS from bullets (not to protect herself).

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Which is largely a distinction without a difference.
    If I remember right, there was a few times in which she plummeted due to no winds or got her self into serious situations because the writers used the lack of air current or changing currents as a crutch device for Wonder Woman pre-Perez.

Wonder Woman has had flight for decades. At this point, I have no idea why it's still a source of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wonder Woman has had flight for decades. At this point, I have no idea why it's still a source of contention.
    Tell that to the DC editors at large, with respect to animation, the movies and the comics.

Justice Society - No flight
    Wonder Woman (first solo animated movie) - no flight
    nu52 - didn't fly until issue 11 or 12 under Azz
    Sensational Wonder Woman - depends on the writer whether she can or can't
    DCEU - couldn't fly until WW84, and it still could be air currents since she needed Steve to tell her how to fly

These are just some of the examples I can think of. The editors and the higher ups are the ones where they make flight a source of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    DCEU - couldn't fly until WW84, and it still could be air currents since she needed Steve to tell her how to fly
    By the end of the film, it was quite evident that she was flying 100 % self -powered. The way she gracefully pirouetted upward through the clouds and then swiftly zoomed downwards in the direction of the sounds of sirens left no doubt that this was no air current gliding. Having said that, I profoundly disliked that Steve was the one who "taught" her how to fly. Meh.

Incredible Member

While I don't mind a Wonder Woman that can't fly a la Golden Age, I'm absolutely for her flying at this point. Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned making her in-universe history reflect her publication history with regards to her flying, and I think that's a neat and effective way of handling this point. She was not always able to fly, and had adventures using the Jet (perhaps in the 1940s), but at some point, she learns/gets the ability to fly that by the time of the Modern Age of Super-heroes that she's in the air, bracers, tiara, lasso and all.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    By the end of the film, it was quite evident that she was flying 100 % self -powered. The way she gracefully pirouetted upward through the clouds and then swiftly zoomed downwards in the direction of the sounds of sirens left no doubt that this was no air current gliding. Having said that, I profoundly disliked that Steve was the one who "taught" her how to fly. Meh.
    When I see her flying at Shazam or Black Adam's speed, I'll concede that point to you. Of course, this might not happen as I don't see them interacting in a movie, but we can dream.....

It did seem to make her incredibly stupid that after about 70+ years since leaving the island that she needed Steve to let her know how to fly. How do you go 70 years with the abilities she has and not even think that flying could be one of them when she makes her superleaps?
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 05-11-2022 at 07:39 AM.

I think for a lot of heroes, we primarily favor power creep because there's an arms race with other heroes, but in universe (e.g. WW and Superman) and out (e.g. Thor, Hulk, Goku, etc.).

I feel like one possible compromise would be contextualized power downs. For instance, if you focused on a specific timeframe in WW's career, you can go weaker: teenage years with no flight, body itself isn't bulletproof, sub-sonic running speeds, superhuman strong but not lifting-mountains strong, etc. But you can't carry over that weakened state when she crosses over with the rest of the DCU. I think the movies and the DCAU kind of took this approach, but not in a particularly satisfying way.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think for a lot of heroes, we primarily favor power creep because there's an arms race with other heroes, but in universe (e.g. WW and Superman) and out (e.g. Thor, Hulk, Goku, etc.).

I feel like one possible compromise would be contextualized power downs. For instance, if you focused on a specific timeframe in WW's career, you can go weaker: teenage years with no flight, body itself isn't bulletproof, sub-sonic running speeds, superhuman strong but not lifting-mountains strong, etc. But you can't carry over that weakened state when she crosses over with the rest of the DCU. I think the movies and the DCAU kind of took this approach, but not in a particularly satisfying way.
    Diana shouldn't be bulletproof like Superman. I like what Geoff Johns mentioned in his JL run. She can't handle strong bullets. But, bulletproof? Nah. I like the idea of Diana being strong, fast, intelligent, but still can get hurt. Keeps her on her toes.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Diana shouldn't be bulletproof like Superman. I like what Geoff Johns mentioned in his JL run. She can't handle strong bullets. But, bulletproof? Nah. I like the idea of Diana being strong, fast, intelligent, but still can get hurt. Keeps her on her toes.
    Being immune to bullets doesn't mean she can never get hurt.

I don't think she should be a slightly above super soldier tier.

She is a mythology based superheroine, her feats should be grand and awe inspiring.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Being immune to bullets doesn't mean she can never get hurt.
    Thank you!