Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    The first movie was a visual spectacle, but without the special effects at the theater, it was a dud watching it at home on blu-ray since the special effects were really all it had going for it.

I'll watch the sequel at the theater, despite expecting more weak writing, but I probably won't bother with subsequent films unless the 2nd one wows me enough. I'm not the type who goes to the theater simply for special effects, but Avatar will be the exception.
    You didn't have a 3D TV with the $80 glasses?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I do remember those being pushed at the time, weird how they never took off...
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They were as popular as the Metaverse.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

3D tech is expansive and 3D was often viewed as a gimmick. How much it actually improved the viewing experience varied wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They were as popular as the Metaverse.
    Metaverse wouldn't have it's negative reputation if the companies trying to sell actually knew what it was. It was clear they hyping it up as a crypto pump and dump scheme. Real metaverses (VRchat) can be pretty sweet.

I still have the glasses somewhere lol. It's passive 3D at least though.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    The first movie was a visual spectacle, but without the special effects at the theater, it was a dud watching it at home on blu-ray since the special effects were really all it had going for it.

I'll watch the sequel at the theater......
    Same. It had it's hook, the 3D spectacle. Once I watched it at home the glaring writing and tissue paper thin characters and their cliche motives was just painful.

When I see it, and I will, it will be a year or more from now when it is on a streamer I already pay for. Most likely Disney+.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I don't see the point of not seeing this in 3D at the theaters. At home it would be like watching a YouTube video of a roller coaster ride. Misses what makes it thrilling.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What I hate is that they still sell 3-D Blu-Rays, and you can still get a 3-D Blu-Ray player, but they don't sell the TV's anymore. So the other stuff is worthless.

James Cameron says people can take a bathroom break 'any time they want' during #AvatarTheWayOfWater

"They can see the scene they missed when they come see it again"

(via @THR)
    I don't think I've ever wanted a film to fail. Really, I want them all to succeed for everyone that worked on the film. But every time Cameron has opened his mouth recently... goddang I want this movie to bomb hard, just to humble the man.

I mean, I get it. Just about every movie he's made has been more successful than the last one. He's made BILLIONS of dollars. He's invented technologies. He's done incredible work as both a director and an explorer. But the arrogance of the man has grown astronomical. That comment above shows that.

The first movie did so well because it had groundbreaking effects. But in the decade since it came out, the desire to see movies in 3D has lessened. Movies are still released in 3-D, but they don't get as many showings as they used to. And the first story was fine, not great. Not exactly something to draw me back to the theaters.

I'm sure this movie will be a hit in China. But I'm really curious how well it does in the States, considering how long it's been since the last one.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I don't think I've ever wanted a film to fail. Really, I want them all to succeed for everyone that worked on the film. But every time Cameron has opened his mouth recently... goddang I want this movie to bomb hard, just to humble the man.

I mean, I get it. Just about every movie he's made has been more successful than the last one. He's made BILLIONS of dollars. He's invented technologies. He's done incredible work as both a director and an explorer. But the arrogance of the man has grown astronomical. That comment above shows that.

The first movie did so well because it had groundbreaking effects. But in the decade since it came out, the desire to see movies in 3D has lessened. Movies are still released in 3-D, but they don't get as many showings as they used to. And the first story was fine, not great. Not exactly something to draw me back to the theaters.

I'm sure this movie will be a hit in China. But I'm really curious how well it does in the States, considering how long it's been since the last one.
    Agreed. Creatively, his work isn't that great. It's just pretty effects with plots more basic than any MCU movie, and some pretty insulting tropes (mighty whitey, among them).

What I hate is that they still sell 3-D Blu-Rays, and you can still get a 3-D Blu-Ray player, but they don't sell the TV's anymore. So the other stuff is worthless.
    It would benefit the 3D content that's still being produced to be ported to VR. The the underlying tech that's used to create the 3D effect is also used for VR.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It would benefit the 3D content that's still being produced to be ported to VR. The the underlying tech that's used to create the 3D effect is also used for VR.
    Except right now VR is a black hole. Turns out most people don't want to spend 400 bucks on something they're only going to use a few min. tops a day.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Except right now VR is a black hole. Turns out most people don't want to spend 400 bucks on something they're only going to use a few min. tops a day.
    VR is a niche not a black hole. The amount of time a person spends on VR depends on what they use it for. People who use the social apps like VRchat and Rec Room will have people on for hours. Same applies if they play something like Bone Lab which is a VR sandbox within a shooter that has a level editor. They play something that will give them a workout like Beat Saber then yea, they'll be on for just a few minutes.

I expect VR to remain niche while the barrier to entry is still relatively high.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The arrogance, pride and lunancy of this statement from James Cameron sounds about as unchecked as something Donald Trump might say.

James Cameron says people can take a bathroom break 'any time they want' during #AvatarTheWayOfWater

"They can see the scene they missed when they come see it again"

(via @THR)
    "...when they come see it again."

He's just all sure of himself that that many folks will be lining up again to see it multiple times. Sure there will be some.
    Point is he doesn't care about the blokes who might want to see it but will only get one theatrical shot (insert reason/s here) at the film.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Given Cameron's track record I can see why he believes that. Goddamn is he tempting fate.

Most projectors for home cinema are able to display 3D.

I guess you'll like this quote from the man then:

“Obviously, I’m not going to be able to make Avatar movies indefinitely, the amount of energy required.” He’s started giving some thought to a succession plan. “I would have to train somebody how to do this because, I don’t care how smart you are as a director, you don’t know how to do this.”

Directing the masterpieces that are the Avatar movies requires a genius and prowess that only one man on earth possesses. At least he's so humble to hint that some other smart director might be up to that task after the biggest directorial genius himself has tought him how to do it.

Well many theaters in China are closed because of covid lockdowns right now, that could be a serious hit for its China box office if things don't improve.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.