Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Starfleet's idea of Tactics? meh. The important stuff about dealing with their sensors and stuff will be in the basic captain package, and their main strat was "pull up and exchange broadsides". contrary to what some people say.
    I'm pretty sure this is the difference between just being a Broadside commander and coming up with something like The Picard Maneuver but some clarification would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Makes sense. If that's what it is, I'll pass; I really don't need more of that. And I'm rather disinterested in layering Aikido or whatever on top of the stuff I already know. Sure, it would be nice to have yet another perspective and some refinement of fundamentals from another point of view, but realistically it's not going to help a lot (a smidgen, maybe) and would be effectively worthless compared to me learning 'Advanced Scientific' or whatever.

Zagreus, some clarity on what 'Advanced Combat Training' is?
    Well as an overweight nerd I need the help so I can then take the calisthenics class put on by good ol Doc McNinja

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Well as an overweight nerd I need the help so I can then take the calisthenics class put on by good ol Doc McNinja
    You bring up a valid point, and it's this: we're not given any gimmes in the OP as to our physical condition.

Looks like I'm not going on a lot of away missions for a bit - likely the first year.

That would be dumb.

I'm in my 50's now, and my body is in less-than-perfect shape thanks to years of getting beat up. The pandemic hasn't helped me keep in great shape.

I mean, I'm 100% sure that Star Trek medical stuff will get rid of all of those pesky chronic injuries and damage after a short time, and I can start really working out to get myself in the best shape of my life. Grand. But for the first year, I would guess I would be a liability on away missions as compared to the bunch of people I have working for me. So most of the exploration and poking around ancient ruins will be taken care of by people like Data, Ivanova, Garibaldi, maybe Sheridan if he's in that kind of mood (he often isn't - Sheridan was one of those smarter commanders who often didn't lead scouting missions personally unless there was something he absolutely needed to be there to see).

Maybe after Year One I'd start poking my nose into stuff on a proactive basis (in the first year, stuff is going to happen onboard whether I like it or not, but I can limit my involvement). Edit: Also, I don't plan on sticking my nose directly into the kind of **** that the other Captains seemed to do because...they wanted to do it. I'll stick to basic following of Starfleet protocols and general exploration. Try to stay with boring stuff.

It's also fun to realize that I am pretty much tied for the shortest person in my bridge crew. Even Susan Ivanova - who looks tiny compared to all of the people around her, because they're all freaking 6' to 6'2" - is somewhere between 5'9" and 5'10", making her roughly my height or taller.

No worries; I've also been pretty much the shortest, lightest dude in the two most recent martial art schools I've attended, so I'm used to that.

But for once, I will say, I'm perfectly willing to endure this crap because bringing people with me to the Star Trek Universe and living there for our retirement is something I cannot pass on doing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-12-2022 at 06:56 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Maaaan, wish we had one more person - would be nice to bring in Talia Winters (if I could get the character without Control) or Lyta Alexander (pre-Vorlon Modification, she might break the power curve after that).

*considers*

I guess despite the feeling that it was a retcon in the show, it's impossible to get Winters without Control, so I would take Alexander Pre-Modification. Post-modification she stomps all over Betazoids, so she would be out.

...or I could confuse everyone and get Bester (who LIKELY doesn't outright break the power curve). ^_^

[Scotty] I dinna understand why everyone hates Chekov. And where his accent went.

[Garibaldi] Chekov? Is that what Bester is calling himself now? *shakes head* Boy, has he got you fooled.

Ah, Bester. Great character.

Bester.jpg

Kinda reminds me of someone, though.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-12-2022 at 07:08 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

You bring up a valid point, and it's this: we're not given any gimmes in the OP as to our physical condition.

Looks like I'm not going on a lot of away missions for a bit - likely the first year.

That would be dumb.

I'm in my 50's now, and my body is in less-than-perfect shape thanks to years of getting beat up. The pandemic hasn't helped me keep in great shape.

I mean, I'm 100% sure that Star Trek medical stuff will get rid of all of those pesky chronic injuries and damage after a short time, and I can start really working out to get myself in the best shape of my life. Grand. But for the first year, I would guess I would be a liability on away missions as compared to the bunch of people I have working for me. So most of the exploration and poking around ancient ruins will be taken care of by people like Data, Ivanova, Garibaldi, maybe Sheridan if he's in that kind of mood (he often isn't - Sheridan was one of those smarter commanders who often didn't lead scouting missions personally unless there was something he absolutely needed to be there to see).

Maybe after Year One I'd start poking my nose into stuff on a proactive basis (in the first year, stuff is going to happen onboard whether I like it or not, but I can limit my involvement). Edit: Also, I don't plan on sticking my nose directly into the kind of **** that the other Captains seemed to do because...they wanted to do it. I'll stick to basic following of Starfleet protocols and general exploration. Try to stay with boring stuff.

It's also fun to realize that I am pretty much tied for the shortest person in my bridge crew. Even Susan Ivanova - who looks tiny compared to all of the people around her, because they're all freaking 6' to 6'2" - is somewhere between 5'9" and 5'10", making her roughly my height or taller.

No worries; I've also been pretty much the shortest, lightest dude in the two most recent martial art schools I've attended, so I'm used to that.

But for once, I will say, I'm perfectly willing to endure this crap because bringing people with me to the Star Trek Universe and living there for our retirement is something I cannot pass on doing.
    I'm not planning on leaving the ship either, but too many things beam onto the bridge looking for a tussle for me NOT to have my bases covered.

Bester.jpg

Kinda reminds me of someone, though.
    That is an ear worm it is

I'm not planning on leaving the ship either, but too many things beam onto the bridge looking for a tussle for me NOT to have my bases covered.
    Oh, absolutely. Like I said, stuff will happen on the ship. I just want to put a limit on my actual 'seeking out stuff'. ^_^

That is an ear worm it is
    I imagine Garibaldi would agree with you. And Ivonava. And Sheridan. And pretty much everyone you could think of from the B5 universe who might show up here. ^_^
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Oh, absolutely. Like I said, stuff will happen on the ship. I just want to put a limit on my actual 'seeking out stuff'. ^_^
    Definitely a smart move, as we are not granted Character Shields against the madness that can affect anyone going on an away mission of even the most innocent sort.

I imagine Garibaldi would agree with you. And Ivonava. And Sheridan. And pretty much everyone you could think of from the B5 universe who might show up here. ^_^
    Something's crawling around up there, I just know it.

Something's crawling around up there, I just know it.
    Oh, I meant more that I think that the B5 characters would agree that Bester is an ear worm.

They'd probably also agree that 'something is crawling around up there', but would probably figure it to be 'Bester's arrogant brain'.
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Oh, I meant more that I think that the B5 characters would agree that Bester is an ear worm.

They'd probably also agree that 'something is crawling around up there', but would probably figure it to be 'Bester's arrogant brain'.
    The best jokes are multifaceted, and I try to pull them off when I think I khan.

The best jokes are multifaceted, and I try to pull them off when I think I khan.
    O_o

Gundam again.jpg

^_^
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Ah well I'll go mobile, suit yourself.

It's my normal reaction to puns. Apologies. ^_^
    Why are we here?

BANNED

Well as for my team's analysis, it was really tough deciding whether Moody was going to be in Security of First, and I figured I needed more loyalty in the position even if I'm going to assume Xanatos isn't going to work against me. With Xanatos in charge of security I can finagle some powered armor with Data's help updating it for the 24th century while keeping it to Star Fleet passivistic tenancies until that Dominion War comes along. Along with crew-wide mandatory 'calisthenics' from Dr McNinja and specialized training for officers with Moody's assistance planning it I'll have the most physically and mentally prepared crew I can hope for with 'red shirts' that won't die easy.

I think both Q and Guinan will be interested in someone who comes from a reality that has a general idea of what their futures hold, and with my having watched Picard I'm going to institute that little back-door shut down code Captain Rios had to prevent the many times the Enterprise has been taken over ASAP. With the "So you want to give Speeches?" course of Diplomacy I'm taking I should at least be able to give a passable Kirk/Picard speech when it comes time to unleash one, with a versatile and hardened squad of star fleet security that WON'T die to a single shot ready back me up should it fail. Studying 'magic' (from a distance if necessary) should give Data a challenge and inspire many new innovations that can be applied to the Enterprise. Tom Paris is there because he's some sort of jack of all trades with a specialization in piloting, but he's also there to chat about 20th century pop culture with me and so I'd have someone to help me set up a D&D group amongst the crew. If the Borg target me like they did Picard it's going to be disastrous for them to get my memories unless I'm able to get Moody to train me to eliminate that weakness, which is probably a priority as I want to make sure I have enough time to learn.

Assuming my sense of humor doesn't exacerbate things too much, I'm more confident I can make it to the end of the series after thinking about things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    First Officer: Alexander of Macedonia

Security Officer: "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Chief Engineer: Nikola Tesla

Chief Medical Officer: Dr. John H. Watson

Counsellor: Carl Gustav Jung

Chief Operations Officer: Doug "Cypher" Ramsey

Chief Science Officer: Werner Karl Heisenberg
    I think I will change this slightly:

• Chief Tactical Officer: Admiral Thrawn

• Marine Commander: "Dirty" Harry Callahan

• Ship's Computer: JARVIS (MCU)

I keep recalling all the times the senior staff went on missions that really ought to have been for a team of commandoes. Since it's my ship, I think I'll keep a tac team of marines for boarding, raiding, and other such activities.

The episode with Captain Jellico was great, but the idea that Picard, Worf and Crusher had to go on that op was ridiculous. "Well, Admiral, we have a tac team for situations like that, I'm sure Commander Callahan and his marines can accommodate you."

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    I think I will change this slightly:

• Chief Tactical Officer: Admiral Thrawn
    He fails utterly since no-one has made any Art in Star Trek since the 30s.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Fantastic Member

I'll take the Talented Teen Bullshit for $200, Alex. ^_^ I already have the basics filled up with the people who have solid foundations, so having a wild card in my pocket could be useful.
    "It's a Daily Double". Why pick one teenager, when you can pick all of them. Disney Teenager genius for the WIN!!!

Skills: Engineering, Technical, Combat
    First Officer: Kim Possible
    Security Officer: Cornellius Fillmore (Fillmore!)
    Medical Officer: Sakura Haruno (Naruto: Ship.)
    Engineering (Captain): Sarah and Mary Test (Johnny Test)
    Communications: Wade (Kim Possible)
    Helmsman: Cyborg (Teen Titans)

Enhanced is: Sakura, Cyborg (and possibly Kim Possible). Rest are normal humans.

Kim Possible is THE perfect number 1. I got my fighting and diplomatic skills right there. Fillmore is the street-wise ex-criminal detective who knows how to catch people. He can grow into the role of security. Medical, give me someone who can heal with or without medical equipment. Physical strength is a bonus. Wade can hack any computer system. Half of Star Trek's issues was them losing communication with the away team and/or transporter issues. With Wade, that will not happen for long.

Now, the brilliant (or death-causing) part of the plan. Teenager Mad-scientist FTW (or FTL). I'm putting the Test sisters and Cyborg together. If they could give Johnny and his dog superpowers, what can they do with Cyborg? Plus, giving them the current tech tree, I like my chances of getting past the Borg and Q. I just need to be careful of avoiding physical fights with the Klingons.

I would love one more spot for either Sokka (Avatar) or Ron Stoppable at Ten-Forward. I need that comic relief/secondary warrior/chaotic element. Otherwise, it's a fun seven years with me.