Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Why was black bolts mouth skin durable enough to effortlessly bounce back his brain squishing energy is my question lol. Did she make it out of vibranium?
    We don't know how durable this version of Black Bolt is. For all we know, he might be?

(actually, from a plain viewing of his skull containing his voice somewhat, he would be pretty damn durable)

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    We don't know how durable this version of Black Bolt is. For all we know, he might be?

(actually, from a plain viewing of his skull containing his voice somewhat, he would be pretty damn durable)
    That's an interesting take. I like it.

Well. Kinda like it. It then implies his skin is much more durable than his bones and organs which wouldn't be TERRIBLY unusual for superhero stuff but still...
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I also assumed it was just his natural durability working against him so I grasped it intuitively due to my years on Rumbles I think even though I was surprised.

However, it was also very funny and did make him look like an idiot. Great moment lol.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

just an aside but does suddenly having flesh covering your mouth just seem deeply unsettling to anyone else? I cringed in the theater like it was an eye scream. Movie did a great job of having horror moments in a PG13 setting

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm guessing - just guessing, mind - that it couples the idea of suffocation with the removal of verbal communication, along with a generous helping of creating an uncanny valley effect on the victim.

Definitely worth a cringe of horror.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Presumably he has the required secondary power of resistance to his own powers, since he doesn't blow his mouth off every time he screams. What Witch did partially overcame that resistance by making it bounce off his inner mouth back to his brain. In other words, he has resistance, not complete immunity to his own powers.

This also means he doesn't necessarily have invulnerability in general, anymore than Cyclops not exploding his eyeballs does.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    just an aside but does suddenly having flesh covering your mouth just seem deeply unsettling to anyone else? I cringed in the theater like it was an eye scream. Movie did a great job of having horror moments in a PG13 setting
    It was almost word for word from the first Matrix movie when Smith removes Neo's mouth.

Honestly of the Illuminati, Black Bolt is the one the average viewing audience would care about least, so he's the most disposable.

Alas, also not enough time to explain how the tuning fork on his head channels electrons, or how hype the Master Blow could be. If there was one ability he'd be known for, it'd be the scream, but he also can't be the problem solver in this scenario, so PIS reigns.

Though, bit of a tangent, has anyone here actually seen the Inhumans show? Even if variants aren't 1 for 1 as mentioned above, just curious as to how the 'other' MCU Black Bolt compares.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Honestly of the Illuminati, Black Bolt is the one the average viewing audience would care about least, so he's the most disposable.

Alas, also not enough time to explain how the tuning fork on his head channels electrons, or how hype the Master Blow could be. If there was one ability he'd be known for, it'd be the scream, but he also can't be the problem solver in this scenario, so PIS reigns.

Though, bit of a tangent, has anyone here actually seen the Inhumans show? Even if variants aren't 1 for 1 as mentioned above, just curious as to how the 'other' MCU Black Bolt compares.
    Sadly, I watched it. It's... not great. Show Black Bolt has a colossal amount of power but barely uses it. It's much more like the comics, where using it is not really channeled and risks being omni-directional and blasting everything. He cannot remotely precisely control it like the one in DSMOM can. DSMOM Black Bolt uses it twice only, once to obliterate his foe standing directly in front of him, without damaging anything else around it, and once to... blow off his own head thanks to Wanda.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    When did she She drain captain marvels powers?
    I've seen the movie twice, once with my brother and once with my kids. She definitely either drains CM or just overwhelms her to the point that her powers stop working.

You visibly see her aura turn off and her helmet and stuff fall away, her energy dies, she falls from the sky, then the statue drops on her and kills her. Notably Wanda launching the statue at her earlier, when CM was powered up, did NOT do any real damage at all.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I've seen the movie twice, once with my brother and once with my kids. She definitely either drains CM or just overwhelms her to the point that her powers stop working.

You visibly see her aura turn off and her helmet and stuff fall away, her energy dies, she falls from the sky, then the statue drops on her and kills her. Notably Wanda launching the statue at her earlier, when CM was powered up, did NOT do any real damage at all.
    Has SW ever drained power before?

Not in any previous movie appearances. Though she also had never used her powers to physically manipulate people's physiology to remove the existence of mouths either, or to traverse dimensions by crawling through surfaces/mirrors...

So I guess it can be chalked up to her expanding powers from the magic she learned from the Darkhold?

Kinda. Wandavision. 7:44

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Not in any previous movie appearances. Though she also had never used her powers to physically manipulate people's physiology to remove the existence of mouths either, or to traverse dimensions by crawling through surfaces/mirrors...

So I guess it can be chalked up to her expanding powers from the magic she learned from the Darkhold?
    I'm just going to go with CM burnt herself out because I'm not 100% on the power draining thing.

I'm just going to go with CM burnt herself out because I'm not 100% on the power draining thing.
    Wanda is explicitly a reality warper. She both does it on a large scale on numerous occasions (it's the entire plot of WandaVision of course) and is presented as capable of reality warping on a massive scale by many people in the know, all the way up to and including the Sorceror Supreme, who claims that she can do it on a cosmic scale. Changing reality ought to let her power-wipe all she wants.

She ALSO explicitly can powerjack someone, given that this was the whole plot of DSMoM: she was powerjacking America Chavez.

So there is absolutely no reason not to accept that what we see on screen, to wit, CM's powers visibly being removed while in conflict with Wanda, are anything other than exactly what they look like.