Page 33 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I had a think about that, and remembered that April didn't fool MJ one bit when she tried to assume Mayday's life in the series finale of Spider-Girl after Mayday died. I imagine she would have confided in MJ before they got up to any of that business
    If written by DeFalco/Frenz, who understood MJ's character as she has been characterized through the decades? Definitely.

If written by hacks who purposefully set out to make MJ stupid and blind so they can elevate their precious faves and donut steel characters? Doubtful.

But I do like Frenz's idea - head canon accepted!
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-26-2022 at 08:11 AM.

I really would love to see the return of April, but Frenz's idea is B A D.

-Pav, who finds it incredibly offputting...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I really would love to see the return of April, but Frenz's idea is B A D.

-Pav, who finds it incredibly offputting...
    Only if you make it off-putting. Seriously, the fact that some people's minds went there in the first place is what is off-putting LOL

An April who comes back to the Parker family to pretend to be Peter - with the family's full knowledge - to protect the family and to ensure May's (and Peter's) secret identities stay hidden while Peter is incapacitated is actually a great, dramatic idea that develops April's character more.

It's certainly a thousand times more palatable than what we got. Head canon for the win!
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-26-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    So are you confirming you will kill Annie?

Edit: I should clarify that I get it. I come across as some cynical online rando telling people the character who is in danger in a preview for the first issue of a multi-part storyline that isn't out yet won't actually die or be depowered or what have you because you have a financial interest in making this character seem viable, and that attitude can absolutely rub you the wrong way.

(And yeah, I think I come across as a cynical online rando too when it's laid out like that.)
    You do talk in "There's no way writer will do X", writers are just people, and people can make decisions that look weird for us, and those decisions can make sense for 'em.

Also seriously, Annie wouldn't lose much if she stopped being the Pattern-Maker lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Only if you make it off-putting. Seriously, the fact that some people's minds went there in the first place is what is off-putting LOL

An April who comes back to the Parker family to pretend to be Peter - with the family's full knowledge - to protect the family and to ensure May's (and Peter's) secret identities stay hidden while Peter is incapacitated is actually a great, dramatic idea that develops April's character more.

It's certainly a thousand times more palatable than what we got. Head canon for the win!
    I really can't see how this would make either April or MJ look good, specially if Mayday ends up not knowing about it, which, again, given the way she reacted to his death, retconning her into knowing Spidey was actually April looks awkward at best.

Someone like DeFalco could write MJ decently enough but ay "Hey Peter, while you disappeared we had April pretend to be you for a few months, and we acted like she was you all these months/years instead of just not doing any of that! And we may or may not have told Mayday about it!" is just off putting even if she's written decently enough, kinda like how OMD has Spidey and MJ reacting in somewhat in-character ways despite making the literal biggest mistake in their lives.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 09-26-2022 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    You do talk in "There's no way writer will do X", writers are just people, and people can make decisions that look weird for us, and those decisions can make sense for 'em.

Also seriously, Annie wouldn't lose much if she stopped being the Pattern-Maker lol.
    I get why Slott doesn't like an internet rando saying Annie won't die because he has a financial interest in her being viable. It is a cynical comment and can be taken as insulting. And honestly? Wasn't actually even my intention.

We've seen Marvel expand the concept of the Spider-Verse especially over the last few years to be about more than just Peter. There's Peni Parker merchandise these days. We saw Spider-Gwen just explode. All these new Spideys are potentially viable for merchandise (or even Spideys who have been around for decades like Miguel finally getting their time in the spotlight). It's hard to imagine any of 'em dying now. And even if they do, they can just be brought back like Noir was because he was in the movie. (Poor Spider-UK the first, who seems like he ended up in a legal nightmare since he was a Captain Britain who was also a Spidey. Thankfully the new Spider-UK has no such ties to the Captain Britain Corps and can easily be put into a movie.)

(I'm far too cynical about this stuff.)

As for Annie losing her status as the pattern-maker? Sure, it's possible. I don't think it's the likeliest outcome since they finally started exploring what that means (in Carnage of all books, lol). But comics have done that kind of thing before so I can only shrug.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 09-26-2022 at 02:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

It was random and unnecessary to make her the Pattern Maker in the first place. She's a teenager, let her live her life. Besides, I thought Marvel thought all a character had to do was act like a teenager to be instantly compelling and "relatable" so no need to give Annie extra responsibilities, that makes her too adult LOL

I really can't see how this would make either April or MJ look good, specially if Mayday ends up not knowing about it, which, again, given the way she reacted to his death, retconning her into knowing Spidey was actually April looks awkward at best.

Someone like DeFalco could write MJ decently enough but ay "Hey Peter, while you disappeared we had April pretend to be you for a few months, and we acted like she was you all these months/years instead of just not doing any of that! And we may or may not have told Mayday about it!" is just off putting even if she's written decently enough, kinda like how OMD has Spidey and MJ reacting in somewhat in-character ways despite making the literal biggest mistake in their lives.
    Well, I said "full knowledge of the family" which would include May; I can see a scenario in which Peter is incapacitated or out of commission in some way but the Parker family needs to have a Peter stand-in in oder to keep May's (and maybe even Peter's) identities secret - and it could be dramatic and fun for April to playact at being Peter in public (and when the Twilight-reject Inheritors appear) in order to protect May, which may not sit well with May and shenanigans ensue. And besides, anything is automatically superior to the phlegm loogie we did receive in Spider-Worse.

I could also see May playing along to keep it secret that it was April, not her father - after all, in Spider-Worse the spiders were egregiously incompetent bumblers and they were constantly under attack by the Twilight rejects, why take the risk that one of the bumblers might let it slip that her father was vulnerable so one of the faux Victorian wannabe Lestats could find him and finish him off - and for all May knew her mother and boyfriend and April were dead and maybe Peter was elsewhere in the burning house, so she thought he might have succumbed, too, which would make her reaction was authentic. And she still had to protect whoever that newborn baby in arms was (because the real Benjy is a toddler) so again, her reaction wasn't a lie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    So, think we’re gonna get a plot point of Annie vs Mayday with May trying to save her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's possible. I hope it doesn't end in either of them dead, though.
    DEFINITELY not! And they better don't dare to kill Annie's parents, because as much as I would like to see Annie and Mayday as sisters, it would be at a too high cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's possible she survived, though. As uncharitably as Peter might have phrased it at the time, he did have a point in saying that clones and symbiotes didn't necessarily stay dead. That said, I would like to see how she dealt with the memories of her future counterpart showing her where her antagonistic rivalry with Mayday could ultimately lead. Shame the series just ended on her sacrificing herself to save Mayday and we got no follow-up on her whatsoever.
    I also believe there was a high possibility for April to have survived somehow. After all, she's not just another clone/symbiote, but a full hybrid human-symbiote. Who knows what other abilities she had that we never discovered.

I had a think about that, and remembered that April didn't fool MJ one bit when she tried to assume Mayday's life in the series finale of Spider-Girl after Mayday died. I imagine she would have confided in MJ before they got up to any of that business
    You got something wrong here, pal. It was actually little Benjy who was never fooled by April's shapeshifting.

The first time April tried to usurp May's identity, she completely fooled MJ, but Benjy didn't stop crying when she was around. When the real Mayday returned, Benjy jumped from MJ's arms to hug his big sister. And in April's flashback, when she tried to usurp Mayday's identity again, Benjy started crying at the moment, knowing she was not May. That made MJ realize it too.

Spider-Man#4 cover, January

I said it before, and I will say it again. I'm not surprised with Morlun on the side of the Spiders here. Why? Well, I knew from the beginning that an alliance between Shanthra and Morlun will only end up in betrayal. As much as they both hate 616's Spider-Man, their ultimate goals collide (as multiversal conquerers). And besides, Morlun is a totem's devourer, and Shanthra is as much a totem as any other Spider. Which means Morlun could become the key to defeat Shanthra.

And I just realized something, Morlun MIGHT be the key to cure the "infected spiders". I mean, if he can absorb and feed on the wasps inhabiting the spiders, it might actually cure them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I get why Slott doesn't like an internet rando saying Annie won't die because he has a financial interest in her being viable. It is a cynical comment and can be taken as insulting. And honestly? Wasn't actually even my intention.

We've seen Marvel expand the concept of the Spider-Verse especially over the last few years to be about more than just Peter. There's Peni Parker merchandise these days. We saw Spider-Gwen just explode. All these new Spideys are potentially viable for merchandise (or even Spideys who have been around for decades like Miguel finally getting their time in the spotlight). It's hard to imagine any of 'em dying now. And even if they do, they can just be brought back like Noir was because he was in the movie. (Poor Spider-UK the first, who seems like he ended up in a legal nightmare since he was a Captain Britain who was also a Spidey. Thankfully the new Spider-UK has no such ties to the Captain Britain Corps and can easily be put into a movie.)

(I'm far too cynical about this stuff.)
    I get that, and killing her off would be odd, but it was only talked about her not being Pattern-Maker anymore, which can mean anything from "She still has the powers but isn't doing it anymore" to "She died in the most mean spirited way possible, and the role of Pattern-Maker has been erased from everyone's memories, and that includes Annie's own existence." lol.

As for Annie losing her status as the pattern-maker? Sure, it's possible. I don't think it's the likeliest outcome since they finally started exploring what that means (in Carnage of all books, lol). But comics have done that kind of thing before so I can only shrug.
    Not like Carnage added anything new anyways, Spider-Geddon said that she can weave the Web of Life again, Carnage is just repeating that statement and kinda showing her doing it, she's basically just Karn all over again lol.

But hey, actually showing she can do it, even if Carnage is interfering, that's somethin', at least.

Whatever happened with Spider-Zero anyways? Did she even show up after that Spider-Verse vol 3?

It was random and unnecessary to make her the Pattern Maker in the first place.
    I think it was basically like when Kyle Rayner became a White Lantern and fucked off to outside of the universe, in theory that's important, but in practice it's just a fancy way of throwing a character to limbo.

She's a teenager, let her live her life. Besides, I thought Marvel thought all a character had to do was act like a teenager to be instantly compelling and "relatable" so no need to give Annie extra responsibilities,
    Acting like a teenager in when written by these people generally means "They're snarky and annoying" lol.

that makes her too adult LOL
    Kinda? What she's doing is still fantastical in nature, and can even have a sense of adventure if they bother with showing what she's doing (Or how she's doing), wouldn't say it's that much of an adult activity, not that much more than being a super-hero at least.

Having her get in a relationship that may get really serious or worrying about paying bills though? That's more of an adult thing, specially by Marvel's standards lol.

Well, I said "full knowledge of the family" which would include May; I can see a scenario in which Peter is incapacitated or out of commission in some way but the Parker family needs to have a Peter stand-in in oder to keep May's (and maybe even Peter's) identities secret - and it could be dramatic and fun for April to playact at being Peter in public (and when the Twilight-reject Inheritors appear) in order to protect May, which may not sit well with May and shenanigans ensue. And besides, anything is automatically superior to the phlegm loogie we did receive in Spider-Worse.
    I don't really care about "Bad option is better than worse option" when both are gross lol.

If April shows up around in public briefly once or twice to pretend to be Peter, that's fine, since all it's doing is having Peter's presence be around to fool people (Though, I can't see why the hell they'd need to pretend Peter is around when Spider-Man hasn't been around for a while, and it's better to let people know someone has disappeared, and if there's not even a decent reason for them to do this, that's another point against it), her still pretending to be Spidey at home and everyone playing along? That's unsettling and would make me wonder if the Parkers are more fucked in the head than usual.

I could also see May playing along to keep it secret that it was April, not her father - after all, in Spider-Worse the spiders were egregiously incompetent bumblers and they were constantly under attack by the Twilight rejects, why take the risk that one of the bumblers might let it slip that her father was vulnerable so one of the faux Victorian wannabe Lestats could find him and finish him off -
    So she would pretend to a point she decides to be a complete bitch to other Spiders and talk **** about the other Peters and calling them fakes even though it wasn't a Peter who died, but her sister? Come on lol.

and for all May knew her mother and boyfriend and April were dead and maybe Peter was elsewhere in the burning house, so she thought he might have succumbed, too, which would make her reaction was authentic. And she still had to protect whoever that newborn baby in arms was (because the real Benjy is a toddler) so again, her reaction wasn't a lie.
    Why would she expect Spidey to be there and dead if it was actually April pretending to be him?

Yeah, the idea of April taking Pete's place... just to die in Pete's place? lol no.... It's not in-universe, and makes no sense in-universe.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I get that, and killing her off would be odd, but it was only talked about her not being Pattern-Maker anymore, which can mean anything from "She still has the powers but isn't doing it anymore" to "She died in the most mean spirited way possible, and the role of Pattern-Maker has been erased from everyone's memories, and that includes Annie's own existence." lol.

Not like Carnage added anything new anyways, Spider-Geddon said that she can weave the Web of Life again, Carnage is just repeating that statement and kinda showing her doing it, she's basically just Karn all over again lol.

But hey, actually showing she can do it, even if Carnage is interfering, that's somethin', at least.

Whatever happened with Spider-Zero anyways? Did she even show up after that Spider-Verse vol 3?

I think it was basically like when Kyle Rayner became a White Lantern and fucked off to outside of the universe, in theory that's important, but in practice it's just a fancy way of throwing a character to limbo.

Acting like a teenager in when written by these people generally means "They're snarky and annoying" lol.

Kinda? What she's doing is still fantastical in nature, and can even have a sense of adventure if they bother with showing what she's doing (Or how she's doing), wouldn't say it's that much of an adult activity, not that much more than being a super-hero at least.

Having her get in a relationship that may get really serious or worrying about paying bills though? That's more of an adult thing, specially by Marvel's standards lol.

I don't really care about "Bad option is better than worse option" when both are gross lol.

If April shows up around in public briefly once or twice to pretend to be Peter, that's fine, since all it's doing is having Peter's presence be around to fool people (Though, I can't see why the hell they'd need to pretend Peter is around when Spider-Man hasn't been around for a while, and it's better to let people know someone has disappeared, and if there's not even a decent reason for them to do this, that's another point against it), her still pretending to be Spidey at home and everyone playing along? That's unsettling and would make me wonder if the Parkers are more fucked in the head than usual.

So she would pretend to a point she decides to be a complete bitch to other Spiders and talk **** about the other Peters and calling them fakes even though it wasn't a Peter who died, but her sister? Come on lol.

Why would she expect Spidey to be there and dead if it was actually April pretending to be him?
    If you want to know about Spider-Zero, she was in Spider-Gwen: Gwen-Verse and helping Spider-Gwen navigate through time and space in the warped reality created by that miniseries' villain.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

So what, are they gonna kill Noir again then?

I also really think Kaine will be killed this time around, he's been having it too good lately .

I don't really care about the concept of Spider-Verse, but killing off characters and trying to end something like this is whatever.

That's assuming they'll kill off and actually end the Spider-Verse though, who knows, maybe "Spider-Verse" will end, and then it'll become "Arachnid-Verse", which would technically make it even bigger lol.
    Why do you think Kaine will be killed this time ?
    There is a cover of him with his Scarlet Spider suit and a hoodie like Ben's so would the kill him if he had a new look ?
    In amazing spider man 21 vol 4 karn said the new chapter in Kaine like will be his last, so is this going to happen hear or did the editors change their minds ?

Please reply.
    Last edited by Xwho; 09-28-2022 at 05:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Okay, so I'm just playing around & not taking this seriously at all (but have already put more thought into this than was evident in wet phlegm loogie Spider-Worse LOL):

Peter and May are out together when a big terrible bad breaks out. May goes into battle but is losing, badly. Peter swings in as Spider-Man, but he's badly hurt.

May is then dogged by someone who saw enough of the fight to put two and two together and threatens to spill May's secret identity. Says they know her father is hurt and his injuries match the ones sustained by Spider-Man and that's all the evidence they need.

April, who has been watching over the Parkers from a distance, shows up right then as Peter and calls the person's bluff. Only this person is determined to reveal May's secret identity - maybe they are a reporter for whom this is a career break, maybe they are a big bad, maybe they are out to destroy the Parkers for some reason.

April now has to show up as Peter to events where he would be likely to appear. Peter is being cared for at home, with the help of a family friend who is a medical doctor, maybe the Parkers call in some favors from the superhero community who they trust. And maybe Peter has temporarily lost his powers.

April is appearing as Peter as May had friends over who don't know her secret identity. Wes is the last to leave when the faux Less-tats appear. April, who feels she has to look after the Parkers, takes the brunt of the attack and tells May and whoever the baby she was holding to run (the baby can't be the Benjy that was in Spider-Girl as that Benjy is at least a year older); MJ is, of course, concerned about April but keeps the charade going in front of new bad guys. This also explains why Peter's leg was out of continuity but doesn't explain why Peter and MJ apparently had a third child recently and also named him Benjy.

May can then either think her entire family - including Peter, who is recovering elsewhere in the home - has died, hence her reaction to the spiders. But the spiders really were bumbling incompentent morons so she was right to bitch at them; they all gave Peter Parker a bad name. And Peter being in the house could explain how everyone didn't die (well, except April who now is the Other) because he was recovered enough to get MJ and Wes to safety.

See? It can work LOL.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-28-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    Why do you think Kaine will be killed this time ?
    Because his life is too good lately .

There is a cover of him with his Scarlet Spider suit and a hoodie like Ben's so would the kill him if he had a new look ?
    In amazing spider man 21 vol 4 karn said the new chapter in Kaine like will be his last, so is this going to happen hear or did the editors change their minds ?
    I doubt the editors would even remember that lol.

Please reply.
    You don't have to ask, if I decide to reply I'll do it regardless.

Okay, so I'm just playing around & not taking this seriously at all (but have already put more thought into this than was evident in wet phlegm loogie Spider-Worse LOL):

Peter and May are out together when a big terrible bad breaks out. May goes into battle but is losing, badly. Peter swings in as Spider-Man, but he's badly hurt.

May is then dogged by someone who saw enough of the fight to put two and two together and threatens to spill May's secret identity. Says they know her father is hurt and his injuries match the ones sustained by Spider-Man and that's all the evidence they need.

April, who has been watching over the Parkers from a distance, shows up right then as Peter and calls the person's bluff. Only this person is determined to reveal May's secret identity - maybe they are a reporter for whom this is a career break, maybe they are a big bad, maybe they are out to destroy the Parkers for some reason.

April now has to show up as Peter to events where he would be likely to appear. Peter is being cared for at home, with the help of a family friend who is a medical doctor, maybe the Parkers call in some favors from the superhero community who they trust. And maybe Peter has temporarily lost his powers.

April is appearing as Peter as May had friends over who don't know her secret identity. Wes is the last to leave when the faux Less-tats appear. April, who feels she has to look after the Parkers, takes the brunt of the attack and tells May and whoever the baby she was holding to run (the baby can't be the Benjy that was in Spider-Girl as that Benjy is at least a year older); MJ is, of course, concerned about April but keeps the charade going in front of new bad guys. This also explains why Peter's leg was out of continuity but doesn't explain why Peter and MJ apparently had a third child recently and also named him Benjy.

May can then either think her entire family - including Peter, who is recovering elsewhere in the home - has died, hence her reaction to the spiders. But the spiders really were bumbling incompentent morons so she was right to bitch at them; they all gave Peter Parker a bad name. And Peter being in the house could explain how everyone didn't die (well, except April who now is the Other) because he was recovered enough to get MJ and Wes to safety.

See? It can work LOL.
    Alll of this happening offscreen a while before Spider-Verse to justify "The Peter who died is actually April" is some contrived, unnecessary nonsense, while it does explain why April would roleplay as Spidey, it's still basically another version of "Ned was Hobgoblin even though he died a while ago" lol.

So yeah, the way I see it, it can "work", but not properly, and I don't like a bad retcon to solve a bad story, specially with MC2 Spidey being alive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Male Silk. I wonder if Web-Weaver is a male version of a female character. Maybe a male MJ.