Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Considering how many fucking new Spiders that will likely be forgotten after this event were created, it seems really obvious that all they're doing is create new ones to see which one is popular, basically throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
    Well, yeah. But they also won't get rid of the old characters either in case they finally get their moment in the spotlight. Miguel O'Hara is about to get a big chance coming up. So he's got to be prominent and viable.

I'm pretty sure Annie says that to other Spiders overall, including Anya, not just to Mayday in particular.

Dead.

He only really resurrected at the very end of it, I guess he spent a long time thinking over whether or not resurrecting with a Spider-God within was worth it, or somethin' lol.
    I'm putting these together because we see at the end of Spider-Geddon that she's talking to Mayday specifically.

Which happens with about anyone who isn't a classic name, characters like Miles and Kamala are the exceptions, not the rule.
    They definitely wanted Miles to be popular. He's like the one character in the history of the entire franchise they outright planned to be popular who actually became popular. Even Peter himself wasn't planned to be popular, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Then when was the last time Miles had actually sold well. He's entire run(s) are glorified satellite books that sell as such
    Dunno about comic sales, but I'm talking about being known outside of comics, 'cause as much as Gwen is arguably the third most popular Spider right now, her comics sell like crap, and may get cancelled fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I will still go to my grave saying it was a waste that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (or even Infinite) didn't feature Juri to pit her against (or team her up with) Spider-Man.
    I don't think anyone would want to see Juri in MvC:I's ugly ass graphics.

Then again, she did survive SF4's and 5's ugly ass graphics...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Well, yeah. But they also won't get rid of the old characters either in case they finally get their moment in the spotlight. Miguel O'Hara is about to get a big chance coming up. So he's got to be prominent and viable.
    I didn't say they were gonna get rid of old characters, at best they'd do so with alternate Spideys nobody cares about.

I'm putting these together because we see at the end of Spider-Geddon that she's talking to Mayday specifically.

About The Other, yes, about "We'll see each other again"? No, it's even Anya who replies, not Mayday, in that case she's not talking specifically with either of 'em.

They definitely wanted Miles to be popular. He's like the one character in the history of the entire franchise they outright planned to be popular who actually became popular. Even Peter himself wasn't planned to be popular, lol.
    I mean Miles was obviously planned to be popular since he replaced the protagonist of one of the few Ultimate comic people liked at the time lol.

That wasn't my point anyways, my point is that new characters are doing a mountain climb to become popular even if Marvel pushes 'em, specially if they're not using a classic codename, for every Miles there are 100 Julias or Matties, maybe even Charlotte if they're really unlucky.

But yeah, it's funny how Spidey was seen as something that was gonna fail, it's why he even debuted in a comic that was about to get cancelled lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I didn't say they were gonna get rid of old characters, at best they'd do so with alternate Spideys nobody cares about.
    I'm just speaking in general on the subject.

About The Other, yes, about "We'll see each other again"? No, it's even Anya who replies, not Mayday, in that case she's not talking specifically with either of 'em.
    Mayday and Anya are the only two characters Annie is talking to. She isn't speaking to the entire Spider-Verse. Everyone else is having their own private conversation.

I mean Miles was obviously planned to be popular since he replaced the protagonist of one of the few Ultimate comic people liked at the time lol.

That wasn't my point anyways, my point is that new characters are doing a mountain climb to become popular even if Marvel pushes 'em, specially if they're not using a classic codename, for every Miles there are 100 Julias or Matties, maybe even Charlotte if they're really unlucky.

But yeah, it's funny how Spidey was seen as something that was gonna fail, it's why he even debuted in a comic that was about to get cancelled lol.
    I just think it was funny that Miles is the only character in the history of the entire franchise that they planned to be popular who actually became popular.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Dunno about comic sales, but I'm talking about being known outside of comics, 'cause as much as Gwen is arguably the third most popular Spider right now, her comics sell like crap, and may get cancelled fast.

I don't think anyone would want to see Juri in MvC:I's ugly ass graphics.

Then again, she did survive SF4's and 5's ugly ass graphics...

Can also make the argument for MJ. She wasn't supposed to be the girl that everyone associates with Peter or even end up with either. It's another thing that just happened and the stuck and no matter how much they try it goes back to them

Then when was the last time Miles had actually sold well. He's entire run(s) are glorified satellite books that sell as such
    And Kamala's gotten pushed harder than almost any character in the last 20 years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    And Kamala's gotten pushed harder than almost any character in the last 20 years.
    I don't think Kamala has a book right now.

Initially, she was the only one in 616 and with ties to Inhumans. That's arguably why she got more of a push.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I don't think Kamala has a book right now.

Initially, she was the only one in 616 and with ties to Inhumans. That's arguably why she got more of a push.
    She is just doing tie ins mostly. That was also due to her recent MCU show and then a dark web tie in which is also probably due to her show, but can see her being removed the book as soon as Norman is evil again or something

I haven't checked lately but when I do Miles seems hover in or just below top 50? Pretty good for a Legacy Character book. He doesn't sell as well as ASM, but he does outsell every other Spider on-going. Even Peter starring secondaries like Friendly Neighborhood. I don't think he'd ever outsell whatever title is considered the 'main' book but he holds his own. Especially considering he's never taking over ASM like Otto or Ben.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    I haven't checked lately but when I do Miles seems hover in or just below top 50? Pretty good for a Legacy Character book. He doesn't sell as well as ASM, but he does outsell every other Spider on-going. Even Peter starring secondaries like Friendly Neighborhood. I don't think he'd ever outsell whatever title is considered the 'main' book but he holds his own. Especially considering he's never taking over ASM like Otto or Ben.
    Plus Miles' books sell well in trades.

Astonishing Member

I read an advance issue. If you’re like me and hated Spiderverse and Spidergeddon, you’ll hate this. If you loved that stuff, you’ll probably love it. The issue contains a pretty big twist that I thought was dumb and fan-fictiony, but your mileage may vary. I’ll wait until the issue drops later before discussing any serious spoilers (and as I’ve said before, I don’t answer PMs).

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I read an advance issue. If you’re like me and hated Spiderverse and Spidergeddon, you’ll hate this. If you loved that stuff, you’ll probably love it. The issue contains a pretty big twist that I thought was dumb and fan-fictiony, but your mileage may vary. I’ll wait until the issue drops later before discussing any serious spoilers (and as I’ve said before, I don’t answer PMs).
    It's very dumb and depending on who cares about a certain or few characters this is not really a goods issue by any means

Astonishing Member

It's very dumb and depending on who cares about a certain or few characters this is not really a goods issue by any means
    It’s Slott… I knew it wouldn’t be up my alley. I wonder what JMS thinks about what Slott has done with a certain energy vampire. Every appearance diminishes his original mystique and sense of menace a bit more imo.

It’s Slott… I knew it wouldn’t be up my alley. I wonder what JMS thinks about what Slott has done with a certain energy vampire. Every appearance diminishes his original mystique and sense of menace a bit more imo.
    I mean I loved the funny usage of his character in a recent war

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I just think it was funny that Miles is the only character in the history of the entire franchise that they planned to be popular who actually became popular.
    After so many attempts, it'd be depressing if it didn't work even once lol.

Can also make the argument for MJ. She wasn't supposed to be the girl that everyone associates with Peter or even end up with either. It's another thing that just happened and the stuck and no matter how much they try it goes back to them
    MJ is a character who's accidentally fun, and was accidentally a pretty fitting love interest even once MJ herself said she doesn't love him romatically back in ASM#259:

It comes across as both her and Spidey wanting to be with each other but it's really not the right time.

Satellite titles didn't help with this idea they're just friends too, 'cause Web of Spider-Man#3 basically says MJ is in love with him but considers herself too much of a coward to be with him:

With Web of Spider-Man#6 making it even clearer she loves him romantically:

Usually stuff like this make a character contradictory in silly ways, but with MJ, it accidentally gives some more stuff to her and it just happens to work with ASM#259.

It's fucking hilarious, just how much stuff about MJ just happens to work way better than it should, and I would find it even funnier if Marvel ever revealed that she was an unplanned pregnancy too, making her into even more of an accident lol.

Sounds like Spider-Verse alright lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Considering that Cindy is introduced, Spidey says her powers surpass his own overall except for super-strength, and immediately gets an important role with the bride nonsense, yeah, I can see that lol.

Shit like that is why I really thought Cindy was an out of date april fools the first time I saw her article on the wiki, there were so many traits that are usual from a character from a fanfiction written by a 12 year old Cindy had that I couldn't think how it wasn't a joke, what a fucking terrible introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seems like the running opinion I've gathered is that Cindy was written terribly under Slott and was redeemed and lived up to her potential when other writers took charge of her, but by then, the damage Slott had done had ruined the character's chances to hold her own comics. (Also gathered that Cindy was supposed to become what the throwaway character Spider-Gwen has become, which I guess goes to show that, as the meme goes, one does not simply create the next superstar and that readers pick the things that the embrace.)
    Man, I really can't stand Silk for those reasons. My least favourite comic book character ever. Thank God Spider-Gwen took off.

Tried the Silk book wrote by Robbie Thompson and that did nothing for me either.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 10-04-2022 at 09:52 PM.