Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, it involved the Jackal (Miles Warren version) having somehow survived Ben Reilly's murder attempt on him in the aftermath of Clone Conspiracy and plotting to steal the invention of a former ESU classmate of Peter's that could preserve people's memories in a kind of digital cloud, which was intended to help people suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia, though the Jackal wanted to use it to further advance his cloning technology. In the process of trying to stop him from stealing that invention, something went off and it switched Spidey's and Ms. Marvel's minds into each other's bodies, though when they were finally able to switch back, it came at the cost of their most recent memories at the time, so they explicitly lost the knowledge of each other's real identities.
    That's such a silver age thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I am curious how this satellite book will sell.

Marvel is doing a few things right with the book compared to other titles.

It has a known creative team who has done significant Spider-Man work in the past. Plus, Slott has worked with Wells in the past, so they should be able to coordinate the two books pretty easily.

Spider-Man
    is a title for a satellite book that isn't automatically seen as lesser than Amazing Spider-Man. The top-selling Spider-Man comic ever is Spider-Man #1 by Todd Macfarlane. The first Sam Raimi film was just called Spider-Man. There are plenty of good video games with that title.

The character works really well in an ongoing series which may be part of why the satellite books flop. Readers care about what happens to Peter Parker, and they've been trained to recognize that the major events will be in Amazing Spider-Man. So sales will be interesting.
    I'm wondering what this will be doing once Spid3d-V3rs3 ends, like, will Spidey be dealing with multiverse shit still? Or it's gonna be basically a sequel to Slott's ASM minus not having as much game changing shit? Or just be a comic about Spidey dealing with street level stuff?

Knowing Slott it's likely gonna be secretly a team-up comic regardless...

Time will tell on what this will be.

If this doesn't work out, rotating writers on Amazing Spider-Man is likely to be a permanent fixture.
    Urgh, I hope not, BND sucked and so did Beyond, we don't need a third BND.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    enemy of my enemy is my friend type of deal i guess
    Morlun will probably go back to trying to eat 'em as soon as it's done, or even before it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Or for a real shock twist, instead of ultimate Jessica do Avengers Alliance Jessica.
    https://avengersalliance.fandom.com/...aker_of_Stone_
    Yeah... this is the alt-U where Jessica is one of the Worthy.
    Isn't this Jessica technically a villain? 'Cause that costume and hammer are like those villains from Fear Itself lol.

Beating the ---- out of Karn and Morlun with her was sooo much fun.
    Why can you fight Karn? Isn't he the good-Morlun? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Not a bad issue really. Honestly if we get Superior back in some form because of this, I'll be a very happy girl.
    Can't wait to see Otto be a villain, decide to become more of a hero only to become a villain again.

Third time's the charm as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Maybe it's because of how bland the Wells ASM is but, as much as I hate to admit it, Slott didn't do too bad here. I've never been his biggest fan, but I gave it a chance and it was a fun issue where things actually happened and Peter didn't seem utterly miserable. Most of Slott's more annoying (to me, at least) aspects were pretty subdued here and I don't really have any major complaints here.
    Slott can be really hit and miss with his writing quality, like, as much as I shit on him a lot, he does have decent or even fun stories here and there.

I guess it's an advantage of his writing style, he tries this gimmick and the characters may be changed around 'em, and they may work, like flipping three coins and they all land on their side.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Isn't this Jessica technically a villain? 'Cause that costume and hammer are like those villains from Fear Itself lol.
    The Worthy? yeah, that, all of that. She gets turned into a Worthy, then... while still having the hammer... eventually starts acting like herself again.... which isn't fully explained in the game. It's one of those gameplay /story separation things. All the Worthy(except Sin and the Serpent himself) are heroes who get corrupted and after completing a rather long list of tasks... you get the ability to use the Worthy form as a playable character version.... a stupidly powerful playable character.
    Why can you fight Karn? Isn't he the good-Morlun? Lol.
    Eventually that's what he became, but this was set before that. Karn is actually the main bad guy in that particular story chapter.

Astonishing Member

Maybe it's because of how bland the Wells ASM is but, as much as I hate to admit it, Slott didn't do too bad here. I've never been his biggest fan, but I gave it a chance and it was a fun issue where things actually happened and Peter didn't seem utterly miserable. Most of Slott's more annoying (to me, at least) aspects were pretty subdued here and I don't really have any major complaints here.
    It's sad that Wells's run is so poor that he makes Slott look "not too bad." Truly a battle of the mids in the Spider-office right now.

Astonishing Member

Why do you hate to admit it? You read a comic to be entertained, and you were entertained.

If I read a comic by Writer A and I don't like it, then I'm disappointed. If I read a comic by Writer A and I do like it, then I'm pleased.

Astonishing Member

I wasn't going to say anything about Slott-Man #1 because it was so aggressively mediocre as to be immediately forgettable. And honestly, it doesn't deserve to be talked about, it's so mid.

But my take:

Slott's return appears to be really wanting to go back to She-Hulk - which, by the way, Rainbow Rowell is KILLING on right now, one of the absolute best runs Jen has ever had, so happy Rowell's run might get more sales because of the TV show - by making the characters appear cringe-worthy aware they're in a story. The hypen joke was tired when Chip Zdarksky used it in his FCBD story, and at least Zdarksy used it to illustrate character while only giving it one line, instead of the frying pan to the face blunt approach Slott takes that leeches any faint chuckles the reader might have. The hypen joke is also another illustration of the characters acting ilke they know they're in a story, because of course no one hears hyphens in real life; all it does is break the suspension of disbelief between reader and the story. It works in She-Hulk because breaking the fourth wall is part of the world-building, but in Spider-Man it's just...eye-rolling (hypen is silent).

Morlun is of course out of character as established by JMS and now add Shathra to the list of JMS characters whose original characterization and appearances just simply do not seem to matter; once again Spider-Man characters are treated as merely inanimate toys to be twisted and moved around the plastic playset, to inevitably be swept off the board and reset as if the previous adventure didn't occur. All this issue lacked was a demand for "Kragle" and then for Will Farrell to appear.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 10-07-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything about Slott-Man #1 because it was so aggressively mediocre as to be immediately forgettable. And honestly, it doesn't deserve to be talked about, it's so mid.

But my take:

Slott's return appears to be really wanting to go back to She-Hulk - which, by the way, Rainbow Rowell is KILLING on right now, one of the absolute best runs Jen has ever had, so happy Rowell's run might get more sales because of the TV show - by making the characters appear cringe-worthy aware they're in a story. The hypen joke was tired when Chip Zdarksky used it in his FCBD story, and at least Zdarksy used it to illustrate character while only giving it one line, instead of the frying pan to the face blunt approach Slott takes that leeches any faint chuckles the reader might have. The hypen joke is also another illustration of the characters acting ilke they know they're in a story, because of course no one hears hyphens in real life; all it does is break the suspension of disbelief between reader and the story. It works in She-Hulk because breaking the fourth wall is part of the world-building, but in Spider-Man it's just...eye-rolling (hypen is silent).

Morlun is of course out of character as established by JMS and now add Shathra to the list of JMS characters whose original characterization and appearances just simply do not seem to matter; once again Spider-Man characters are treated as merely inanimate toys to be twisted and moved around the plastic playset, to inevitably be swept off the board and reset as if the previous adventure didn't occur. All this issue lacked was a demand for "Kragle" and then for Will Farrell to appear.
    Thanks for recommending Rainbow Rowell's She-Hulk, by the way. She did write a one-page story for She-Hulk in Marvel Comics #1000 celebrating Marvel's overall 80th anniversary a few years back, and that was pretty decent. Glad she's knocking it out of the park with a full ongoing series.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

But my take:

Maybe Slott is just writing the Peter Parker of Earth-721?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The Worthy? yeah, that, all of that. She gets turned into a Worthy, then... while still having the hammer... eventually starts acting like herself again.... which isn't fully explained in the game. It's one of those gameplay /story separation things. All the Worthy(except Sin and the Serpent himself) are heroes who get corrupted and after completing a rather long list of tasks... you get the ability to use the Worthy form as a playable character version.... a stupidly powerful playable character.
    Nice lol.

Do the movesets have major changes or do they just have higher stats?

Eventually that's what he became, but this was set before that. Karn is actually the main bad guy in that particular story chapter.
    Huh, interesting.

But my take:

Spencer also did the hyphen joke:

(ASM#10 vol 5)

I wonder, is Morlun consistent with what Slott wrote of him before? 'Cause knowing Slott, that might not be the case lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe Slott is just writing the Peter Parker of Earth-721?
    It is ironic that Slott came up with that Earth's main gimmick when a lot of the characters he writes would be from it because of his characterization issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

But my take:

It's not just the hyphen joke. Peter also realised as soon as Cindy, Miles and Jessica showed up, that they were doing another Spider-Verse.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The worst part wasn't the hyphen joke, overdone as it is, but rather devoting a whole page to it and combining with the theme song joke.

Astonishing Member

The plot twist was also weak with Morlun too conveniently having his mouth full of webbing. I really hate when you see the strings dangling so clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    The plot twist was also weak with Morlun too conveniently having his mouth full of webbing. I really hate when you see the strings dangling so clearly.
    Webbing is so plot-sensitive anyway. It will either support tons of falling debris or break when Doc Ock pulls it off his face!

Fantastic Member

Are spider editorial keeping Kaine from coming back for any reason?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post

Do you really want Kaine written by Wells/Slott? I'm thankful he's forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    what should they do with him anyways
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy