Page 56 of 82 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Morlun's like Doomsday. It's not so much the character so much as the severity and dynamic of the fight. Like I think the fight with Morlun still ranks pretty high in the "best Spidey fights."
    Morlun is a big strong guy that Spider-Man has to think outside the box to defeat. And that can work. But a story like that can only really work once. And you hit diminishing returns when you go back to that.

This is why nobody can write a truly great follow-up to Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut. Not even Roger Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Morlun is a big strong guy that Spider-Man has to think outside the box to defeat. And that can work. But a story like that can only really work once. And you hit diminishing returns when you go back to that.

This is why nobody can write a truly great follow-up to Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut. Not even Roger Stern.
    Yeah...the inheritors always came off as Morlun-lite. Except Karn. That man had flair.

Oh...since its Slott and the Spider-Verse, what are the chances of Superior showing up? I'm feeling a strong 50%

Astonishing Member

Well, I should have known Morlun wouldn't had it so easy against Shanthra. I mean, the only reason for Morlun to siceraly join the Spider-Team would be if they are fighting someone worse than him. But I expected he would at least have a way to drain Shathra's life force.

So, after so much time eating spiders, Morlun has actually become one? Honestly, that's a possibility I considered time ago. Guess it makes literal the old say "You are what you eat".

It's horrible killing babies, but all things considered, I feel no pity for Morlun's family.

So they say 616's Spiders are inmune to Shathra's corruption. Good to know. But someone clearly forgot something: Miles is not really from Earth-616!!!

I hope to see more of Peter and Felicia (Night Spider) in the next issues. She acts quite similar to 616's Felicia when she met Spidey for the first time. I truly hope she will learn the old power/responsability gig from Peter at some point. Do you think maybe she will even fall in love with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Well, I should have known Morlun wouldn't had it so easy against Shanthra. I mean, the only reason for Morlun to siceraly join the Spider-Team would be if they are fighting someone worse than him. But I expected he would at least have a way to drain Shathra's life force.
    Back in the day Shathra seemed to be below Morlun in terms of danger, considering she went down a lot easier. But I suppose it's nitpicking at this point.

Getting rid of the other Inheritors is fine by me. I'm expecting Morlun to sacrifice himself at the end of this (this issue was leaning pretty heavily on the whole "you are now a spider totem" thing) and hopefully stay gone this time. He had a nice, simple shtick pre-Spider Verse, could've remained a one-off villain, and the multiverse-jumping vampire family retcon did nothing to keep him interesting (he was a bit player in SV and a plot device to keep Peter out of Spider-Geddon).
    Last edited by Webhead; 11-10-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Back in the day Shathra seemed to be below Morlun in terms of danger, considering she went down a lot easier. But I suppose it's nitpicking at this point.

Getting rid of the other Inheritors is fine by me. I'm expecting Morlun to sacrifice himself at the end of this (this issue was leaning pretty heavily on the whole "you are now a spider totem" thing) and hopefully stay gone this time. He had a nice, simple shtick pre-Spider Verse, could've remained a one-off villain, and the multiverse-jumping vampire family retcon did nothing to keep him interesting (he was a bit player in SV and a plot device to keep Peter out of Spider-Geddon).
    Well, I'll say Morlun and Shanthra will kill each other in the final battle. Doubt, however, we get rid of them for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Morlun has always been a boring villain. Even when he first appeared he was a less interesting version of Morbius except he was THE MOST POWERFUL THING EVER!@!!!!
    Yeah, JMS went a bit too far in trying to push him as such a super powerful threat.

Actually giving him a family and letting him jump from reality to reality to hunt Spider-men made him a bit more interesting than he was originally, but even then there's only so far you can go with the idea.
    The idea itself is fine, the problem is that Slott made the other Morluns be just, Morlun, but dressed differently (And he has a brother who doesn't even bother with that).

Perhaps a way to make them work better would be making at least some far weaker than Morlun, that way the weaker ones would compensate the weakness by being smarter and having more ways of fighting than "I can beat all of these Spider-Fodders because I'm Morlun strong" that Slott went for, at the very least this way they could stand out from each other more, and Morlun himself wouldn't look interchangeable with the rest of his family.

Morlun's like Doomsday. It's not so much the character so much as the severity and dynamic of the fight. Like I think the fight with Morlun still ranks pretty high in the "best Spidey fights."
    It's also worth pointing out that, by the time Spidey fought Morlun, I'm pretty sure it had been a good number of years that he fought an overwhelmingly strong enemy like Juggernaut or Thunderball where he had to find a creative way to take him down (And I guess for the sake of a mention, there's also Firelord, even though his the way he was defeated is as uncreative as it can be), so that gave him some novelty, but now Morlun is just showing up once every few years, diminishing the impact of his fight, but also the idea of Spidey fighting someone that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It's not nitpicking at all, considering Morlun is the one who's "The first villain who pissed off Spidey" and "Hits harder than the Hulk" and whatever other awkward wanks, Shathra was seen as a threat but not to such a "Wtf he's so strong and cool!" extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Same. That's why I called him a force of nature. It's not so much the character that was impressive as that fight itself, and the call Pete made to Aunt May in the middle of it all. And everytime Morlun has been reused since, it's been diminish returns.

If I had to make another comparison, he's Spider-Man's equivalent to Bane. Bane kind of peaked in his very first storyline. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Same. That's why I called him a force of nature. It's not so much the character that was impressive as that fight itself, and the call Pete made to Aunt May in the middle of it all. And everytime Morlun has been reused since, it's been diminish returns.

If I had to make another comparison, he's Spider-Man's equivalent to Bane. Bane kind of peaked in his very first storyline. lol
    Best Bane is the Bane in the Harley Quinn animated series, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

I'd say Venom is more Spidey's Bane (and they both debuted in the 90's) but I get where you're coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Best Bane is the Bane in the Harley Quinn animated series, lol.
    And Arkham Origins Bane.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I enjoyed this second issue a lot more because something actually happened. Morlun working with the spiders is kind of interesting. Also, Slott indiscriminately killing off the inheritor babies and turning MCU Spidey into a spider-wasp is so funny to me.

The roster feels ridiculous though. Just feels like some random people.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Yeah...the inheritors always came off as Morlun-lite. Except Karn. That man had flair.

Oh...since its Slott and the Spider-Verse, what are the chances of Superior showing up? I'm feeling a strong 50%
    Given the latest issue, odds are he's been Wasp'd already.

Well, since there is no more back up i can honestly say that have hit rock bottom and are now scrapping the bottom of the barrel with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I enjoyed this second issue a lot more because something actually happened. Morlun working with the spiders is kind of interesting. Also, Slott indiscriminately killing off the inheritor babies and turning MCU Spidey into a spider-wasp is so funny to me.

The roster feels ridiculous though. Just feels like some random people.
    That’s not MCU Spider-Man. That’s the Spider-Man from the W.E.B. of Spider-Man mini from not too long ago.

The next thing you know the cartoon Spidey's might show up .

The next thing you know the cartoon Spidey's might show up .
    I wonder if Marvel will allow the Spideys from the pre-school show to appear as monsters in this story.