Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Which era of Superman comics would you go back to?

If you could pick one era of comics to return to, which would it be? I would include a poll but I'd probably forget one.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Early Golden Age, Silver Age or New52, I think.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tomasi-Gleason-Jimenez' Superdad of a ten year old!

He's so cute

Triangle, in a freaking heartbeak. Starting from just after the "Exile" storyline.

However, the Golden Age would be fun, too - especially if I can bring the issues back with me! lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Bendis era. Unironic. Unapologetic. Felt like things were happening and we were moving forward rather than laterally. The only issue was all of the behind the scenes shuffling that can plainly be seen in the work, and were openly talked about.

For example, fairly certain Lois book was to be a tell all about how Superman was the father to her son, and Clark was his stepfather. I distinctly remember Bendis saying that he wanted to position the Superman family as both DC's First Family and a "modern family". As I recall Bendis flat out said that he had a different take on what "Truth" would've been, but DC had him change it, and Rucka seeing what it was being changed into got very protective about how Bendis was going to keep Clark Kent Clark Kent after it.

Even all of the stuff with Jon's lost years was something that was changed because the behind the scenes stuff. Suddenly Earth-3 was being promoted in all of his for seemingly no reason other than DC wanting to push it and Bendis being a team player. But clearly, Jon was supposed to be aged up due to some space travel fake sciences that has him spend years in space dealing with galactic conflicts with Jor-El. The invisible Mafia's boss Leone was likely supposed to tease the addition of the extra years for 5G, and she seemed to be someone that remembered it (thus the famous green car). But Earth-3 was just kind of slapped on there, and Bendis made due even though the solicitations and whole drive of the story didn't really point to that. It makes more sense that Leone knows so much about Superman if she's known him since the 60s. It makes more sense that Jon comes up with the UP because he's spent several years dealing with space conflicts.

I'd go back to the Bendis era and have it play out more in line with what he wanted. If nothing else, it would've been more cohesive and sharper.

Edit: Also very likely that Jon and Jor-El were supposed to be time traveling from era to era like Mr. Peabody & Sherman, and they lose track of time trying to write the wrongs of each era, and Jon gets lost in time and in outer space. This then makes the idea that they kill Jor-El by putting him back in his original time make more narrative sense since his crimes are fucking with the time stream trying to save **** and then save his grandson.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-10-2022 at 03:43 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Head canon era or fan fic era...Cause i can decide whatever i like..Mwahaha!My character would be based on goldenage(man of action) with bronze age ponderings (man of thought)..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-10-2022 at 03:57 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If you could pick one era of comics to return to, which would it be?

Definitely, my choice would be the Loeb/McGuinness era

Rebirth era. The era that made me appreciate Superman after spending my whole life thinking he was boring. I'd give SO much to have that back.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Rebirth era. The era that made me appreciate Superman after spending my whole life thinking he was boring. I'd give SO much to have that back.
    I came to think superman was boring(the kid) after jon went away..So...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Ever forward. Take what worked from the past, yes, but keep moving forward.

Astonishing Member

1938-1987. Basically encapsulates all of the magic, fun, and whimsy of the character along with the nest of everything meaningful as well as the true moral heart of the character comes from the Pre-Crisis stuff. The Post-Crisis Superman is largely just the "continuity" era. But continuity in American cape comics is completely worthless.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I came to think superman was boring(the kid) after jon went away..So...
    The kid definitely helped. I'm a sucker for family stories so I was instantly drawn in when I saw that Clark was married with a kid. And then once I actually started reading it, I realized "...Wow. I actually really like Clark as a character. Why have I been sleeping on him for so long?"

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

A bit of Bronze Age, Triangle Era and Rebirth era.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Rebirth era. Without a doubt.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin