Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Bronze, New 52, Triangle.

But honestly at this point I'd gladly accept any other era with both hands over this current one. Even with as resentful and generally not-a-fan as I was with Rebirth, I'd take that without question if it meant burying Infinite Frontier (including what would lead to it, sorry Bendis).

I know how you feel, trust me.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

New Krypton or the Tomasi era.

BANNED

Oh man... I really loved the 2006-2008 period with Busiek on Super and Johns on Action. Then it all went to hell with New Krypton. Also really liked the Loeb early 2000s era and the first few years of Byrne leading into Roger Stern.

Of course, if I could go to ANY era, I get the most pure joy from reading the stories by Siegel and Shuster from 1938-1943 or so, so I'd pick those.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    New Krypton or the Tomasi era.
    Yeah, I'm one of those who liked the place the comics were in BEFORE New 52, and felt that it well... ruined the industry.

Sure, they told good stories, at least some of the time with New 52, but.... less good than what came before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Why go back to only one? If possible, I'd do minis set on various Earths that preserved those eras of Superman as seen in Doomsday Clock #12. The one I'd be most excited to read would be by Jurgens and Tomasi.

If that's not an option, I'd create a new era that springs from an event (not another fight with a big bad) that sees the pre-COIE Multiverse restored in its entirety with slight alterations. On this old/new Earth-One, we'd have the Silver/Bronze Age continue with some changes. It's now instead of 1985 but the Superman/Clark/Lois triangle is still there, Superman is still the first superhero, and the rich lore of those eras is fully on the table.
    Well, Dark Crisis apparently might involve the restoration of the Pre-COIE Multiverse so, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Bronze Age, just to see how it would have evolved naturally with all the lore still in place and without COIE mucking things up.
    You know, we almost got that. Byrne claims that his original plan was to keep most Pre-COIE continuity intact while just doing some cosmetic updates on the origin story and early years...but DC insisted on the scorched earth approach to continuity.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    You know, we almost got that. Byrne claims that his original plan was to keep most Pre-COIE continuity intact while just doing some cosmetic updates on the origin story and early years...but DC insisted on the scorched earth approach to continuity.
    Yep.

And look where that got us lol.

None. We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards the next Crisis.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    None. We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards the next Crisis.
    ... as foolish Earthlings are wont to do.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Post-Crisis triangle era.
    Although I'm stuck in a rut in my read through right after the "Death of Clark Kent" storyline.
    I dropped the book when the electric red and blue came along and tried very half-heartedly to come back during "Our Worlds at War".

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Another Crisis? I really ought to do something but I am already in my pajamas....
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Retired

I think what gives me a greater affection for the earlier comics is that I felt like the guys creating those comics were my friends and family. Obviously this was delusional and I knew very little about them in reality. But what I did know about them from the comics and from books like ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME and THE STERANKO HISTORY OF COMICS made me feel connected to them.

I just don't have the same feeling for most modern creators and publishers. And often, before you even get a chance to read their work, they have presented themselves on social media and spoiled any delusions you might have had about them.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

1938-1966. Peak Superman. That is 28 years of continuous Superman content being made.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    1938-1966. Peak Superman. That is 28 years of continuous Superman content being made.
    And I only started buying Superman comics at the very end of 1966. So I just missed the very best time to be a Superman reader. Even then, I think I instinctively knew this. And ever since I've been trying to find a time travel machine to take me back to this era that I can never revisit, except through back issues and reprints.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    I know how you feel, trust me.
    Thirded. While the current run on ACTION is fine, it frankly sucks that its the only book featuring the real Superman. I would be ok with Jon having his own book as long as he didn't end up taking Clark's other book. Clark Kent /Kal-El should be the star of Action and Superman, full stop. The push to make Jon the main Superman really grinds my gears.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If you could pick one era of comics to return to, which would it be? I would include a poll but I'd probably forget one.
    just pre death of or just post Marriage of. the 90's the triangle era.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.