Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smalville film? Tom and Michael are up for it.

This seems like a no brainer. Given the popularity and longevity of the series. Rosenbaum's Smallville podcast is very successful even though more than a decade has passed since it ended. Could it fit in as an Elseworld's DCU project? Maybe farmed out to Netfilx which is mentioned as a potential vehicle for the project? My guess is it would be huge and could bring WBD much needed income from licensing it out. It has far more potential to be a hit than the Abrams Elseworld's project.

Welling said he's prouder of his work on Smallville now, adding that he would be open to reprising his character. "Of course! I mean listen, I was thinking about this the other day right before we did our Talk Ville Podcast, we were on one of the most successful shows in the history of television like Top 50. From that show, I've never gotten an incoming call from anyone involved in that show for further work. I don't mean to, I'm not saying like I don't feel bad about that, I don't harp on anybody about that. But you would think that when you're successful, you would be continued successful with successful people. But I think the time has changed."

https://www.cbr.com/tom-welling-smallville-movie/

Anniversary ep of Inside of You

Inside of you 300th ep - Michael and Tom talk life and Smallville

I wasn't a fan of Welling for the longest time. He didn't seem into the character and did few events at the time the show was runing. He has since been more active on the events trail and clearly loved doing the series. I always felt he was full of himself but met him at an event and he's a really nice guy. Not sure if the chances are good for this to happen but never say never. It could be a series instead of a film but glad it's being talked about.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-01-2024 at 12:40 PM.

Are you talking about an animated film?

I was hooked on Smallville back in high school but I haven't revisited it since.

I wouldn't mind a reunion film but it's not enough to get excited on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Are you talking about an animated film?
    No, they're talking an actual live action film. Streamed I guess on Netflix or one of the other services. It didn't sound like an in the theatre film. Given Gunn and WBD it's not likely but WBD and Gunn have referred to WBD Elseworld projects like Pattison's Batman and Abrams' Superman. Probably not likely but it could be a big money maker for the studio in terms of licensing fees. Michael Rosenbaum and Gunn are good friends so who knows.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-01-2024 at 04:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't see it happening. Gunn is pretty much calling the shots on the movie front and I doubt he wants something distracting from his reboot. At one point they were talking about an animated series but Zazlov made it pretty clear he hates the animation department. Don't get me wrong, I would love this. But I think the time for it has passed. It also would disrupt the COIE ending. Not that I have a huge problem with that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    No, they're talking an actual live action film. Streamed I guess on Netflix or one of the other services. It didn't sound like an in the theatre film. Given Gunn and WBD it's not likely but WBD and Gunn have referred to WBD Elseworld projects like Pattison's Batman and Abrams' Superman. Probably not likely but it could be a big money maker for the studio in terms of licensing fees. Michael Rosenbaum and Gunn are good friends so who knows.
    The original cast has aged, so are you talking about recasting?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    The original cast has aged, so are you talking about recasting?
    No, it sounds like they're talking the original cast. Tom is what 46 or so? Micheal 50ish. I suppose it would be an "older" Superman series which has not been done before. Think older as in Kingdom Come. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't see it happening. Gunn is pretty much calling the shots on the movie front and I doubt he wants something distracting from his reboot. At one point they were talking about an animated series but Zazlov made it pretty clear he hates the animation department. Don't get me wrong, I would love this. But I think the time for it has passed. It also would disrupt the COIE ending. Not that I have a huge problem with that.
    Agree it's not likely and my thought was why not a streaming series? 8 eps or so. Not a big financial risk and, if warranted, more eps could be ordered. I think as a limited run series it could do very well. Though in the end it's arbitrary and up to Gunn's whim - Pattison's Batman will distract from Gunn's Batman as will Abrams' Superman distract from Gunn's Superman.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 02-01-2024 at 06:09 PM.

I would really like to see it to happen. I watched 7 seasons or something of Smallville and then i got bored of it and quit it back in the day, but the show has my sympathies because of mostly nostalgia.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think its obvious that WB has zero interest in the Smallville-verse. An animated film would the biggest no-brainer but they cant make that happen

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think its obvious that WB has zero interest in the Smallville-verse. An animated film would the biggest no-brainer but they cant make that happen
    Agree. I'm in the minority but I don't like a tightly connected universe as the DCU will be. Running through films, TV, games and animation. Gunn is allowing an Elseworlds out (in part because Pattison refused to be folded into the DCU) but that out has to be approved by Gunn/Safran and they will stifle what will be allowed to go into production. I have no interest in the Abrams project, which is in preproduction, but I'd love a Red Son Elseworlds story which Matthew Vaughn just said he'd like to do. Unfortuantely the latter is never going to happen. Or a Wonder Woman Elseworlds if Gunn doesn't announce a DCU WW film for Phase 2 of Chapter 1.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't think it's needed. The little send off it got in the Crisis crossover on the WB shows was fine. Clark gave up his powers married Lois and had a couple kids. Nothing else needs to be said.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't think it's needed. The little send off it got in the Crisis crossover on the WB shows was fine. Clark gave up his powers married Lois and had a couple kids. Nothing else needs to be said.
    The idea he gave up his powers to live a "normal" life doesn't sound like a good send off in my opinion. In fact, it's downright character assassination, if you ask me.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I hated the Earth 167 ending. I personally don't consider it the official Smallville-verse. Both because I don't like it as an ending and because apparently there are contradictions between it and the show and tie in comic.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    The idea he gave up his powers to live a "normal" life doesn't sound like a good send off in my opinion. In fact, it's downright character assassination, if you ask me.
    I mean,jor el was forcing the dude with destiny nonsense.He wasn't into costumed cape stuff.He was willing to help .His send of was awesome.He finally got over the stupid green rock.He got really strong.To each his own i guess.It's basically whatever happened to the man of tomorrow..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"