Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Does this thread have something like a monkey's paw curse on it, where any wish we made would be granted but in a terrible way?
    That's the thing that always stumps me when these kinds of questions come up. The answer isn't as simple as it looks. If I have this metaphysical power to travel through time, how does that change my sense of reality? And why would I waste that power just buying comic books? If it's some kind of Quantum Leap power, would I leap into my own seven year old body--and how would little Jimmy afford all those extra comic books I would want to get--would he have to become a thief? Or would I Quantum Leap into a stranger's body and hijack their life just to satisfy my own desires? I think I would end up living long enough to see myself become the villain, corrupted by having too much power.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Does this thread have something like a monkey's paw curse on it, where any wish we made would be granted but in a terrible way?
    Nah, just a self indulging nostalgic exercise.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-12-2022 at 12:21 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Lois and Jon dropping out of the books post-Action 1000 was also mandated. That was happening regardless, but Bendis shortened the time they'd be gone from his statements in past interviews. The identity reveal and the wrench that that threw into Rucka's Lois Lane series and how it resolved the "affair" Lois was having with Superman appear to have been all Bendis too. He even went so far as to retcon his own story, having the kiss photo revealed in Lois Lane, but then having that gossip columnist say she never published it after the reveal.
    I have ear than Bendis does that a lot: To retcon his own stories, sometimes after a few issues. So it is no surprising.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    It really is funny how my perception of characters like Superman, Jean Grey, and Cyclops have changed as I've gotten older. There wasn't really anything different about Clark in Rebirth that changed my mind, so much as it being the first time I actually took the time out to read a Superman comic. Before then my only exposure to Superman were through comics and TV shows where he wasn't the main focus. He was always either a secondary/guest character, or just one part of a team made up of much more interesting characters. To me, he always had trouble standing out in a crowd full of other heroes so I never felt compelled to read any of his solo stories and get to know him better.

That changed during Rebirth. Like I said before, I love family/coming of age stories. So seeing a book (by one of my favorite writers, no less) where Superman is now in the role of a parent piqued my interest enough to finally give a Superman comic a chance. And I loved it. Not just because of Jon (Though he was definitely a big contributing factor. I will never stop missing that kid, and I will never stop resenting Bendis for ruining yet another character for me) but because I finally got a glimpse of who Clark is as a character when he's not being overshadowed by the other Leaguers.

I may still not think there's a lot to him as a character, but for what there is...I just really like him. I like that he's just a nice guy trying to do the right thing and set the right example for not only his son, but all the people he inspires. I like his chemistry with Lois. I like how simple and down to earth, yet larger than life, he feels. I liked him in that run so much that I started going back and reading a bunch of random Superman stories from before Flashpoint. All the reasons I found him boring when I was a kid, ended up being all the reasons I find him to be a very likable character now that I'm an adult. Not my favorite kind of character and definitely not the kind of character I wanna see replicated too often (my biggest problem with the current Jon), but one that I can really appreciate for who he is. All it took was me finally giving him a chance.
    That's really cool!

And for all of you that liked Rebirth and want more of a similar feel (minus Jon, of course, but still), I'd highly recommend the Triangle Era. You can start with Byrne's MoS and read forward, and I do think it's very good overall.... but imo everything before Exile is best considered backstory, as he does a LOT of personal growing in Exile and just after.

Still, though - the Superman from the Triangle era IS the Rebirth Superman, personality-wise.. even if, technically, Pre-Flashpoint was his origin.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Definitely, my choice would be the Loeb/McGuinness era

This. I feel Up In The Sky condenses everything good about this run into 6 issues.

Feel: the books were dynamic with threats that kept ramping up in both scope and imagination. It juggled a lot of ongoing stories, seeded future events and was a love letter to all previous eras of Superman. Every issue felt like something big was happening, had just happened, or was about to happen. Everything seemed to flow from one thing to the next. It was among the most compelling runs I've ever found a US comic book as I never knew what was coming next but I knew it'd be good. Everyone had more distinct personalities and spoke more like actual people that blurting expository fluff.

It was an evolution of the early triangle era (1991-1994 or so) where everything fed everything else, but with everything cranked up to 11.

Superman: Superman felt like a big deal and the center of the universe. He actually used all of his powers regularly rather than just fly and fight like a regular guy (because when Supes and his opponent are evenly matched, it's just a fight). Superman was the DCU's go to guy, even though different characters had differing opinions of him.

He wasn't just Superman because X in the past or the lip service of "he's the best," he was actually shown to be Superman doing the amazing things that nobody else could. Saving the person, the city, the world and the universe. He WAS Superman rather than just a guy in Superman's costume.

Clark: Clark loved being a journalist and using that to do even more good. He had friends and colleagues outside of being Superman. They were gearing up for Clark to go after president Luthor before Loeb left. Ma & Pa were wholesome as heck.

Lois: Lois had more complexity and things to do that in most eras. She was Clark's rock while he was also hers. She had a strong role as an independent character in her own right.

Lex: Redefining Lex as the perfect man and adding a xenophobic line to his hatred of Superman was ingenious. It made sense for him, plays into his massive ego, and gives a nice nod to the real world where xenophobia is rife and easily exploited. I also prefer Lex as a self-made man (rather than inheriting from his father) as it adds to his self-belief and hubris. Harkening back to Byrne's idea that he wanted Lois but giving him actual feelings was also a positive change to the dynamic. Also, giving his daughter up to B13 is the darkest thing Lex has ever done and I love it.

Supporting Cast: The Planet was relevant and Jimmy and Perry had their places in the mythos. They were both important. Supergirl and Superboy both had great moments and it was great seeing Superman call on them for help while also dealing with the idea that Superman feels awkward needing help.

Steel: STEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favourite Superman spin-off hero given the respect he was due. Him being acknowledged as Superman's partner makes me smile to this day and the scene of Clark "revealing" the secret in priceless. John Henry Irons is a phenomenal character and this run is his best. Also, Natasha was fantastic, too.

Kel-Ex: "By the gold volcano of merciful Rao! We are saved!" Sassy Kel-Ex is best Kel-Ex.

Villains: Several villains were reimagined for the better (Prankster, Brainiac, Zod) and great new villains were added (Imperiex, Kancer, Encantadora). Superman always felt in danger, or in the way of it, without all threats seeming the same.

I have read all eras of Superman since hoping to a return to this kind of dynamic storytelling and have mostly been disappointed. I think Bendis came close, which is why I enjoyed him so much, it's a shame he didn't get 5+ years.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

My first impulse is to say early New 52. Give DC a second chance to build the unified, idealized Superman whose blueprint Grant Morrison sketched out of Silver Age whimsy and Golden Age grit. Maybe the second time around, DC won't toss out the best shot the character had at relevance in the 21st century.

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Golden Age, for me. Or, a modern version of it anyway. Morrison's opening Action run.

But I'm fairly satisfied with where we are now. Jon shouldn't exist, and he was more fun as a kid, but his book is decent enough and I'm enjoying Clark doing his thing with the Authority and United Planets. I'd like more work put into exploring how Clark is dealing with the loss of a duality he spent his entire life maintaining, and I have other nitpicks about the current era, but generally I think the line is better now than it's been in years.

But if I'm going back to a prior era, it's definitely the t-shirt/modernized Golden Age Superman that I wanna see.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

probably late 70s or mid-1980s. but each era evolves its own version.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    A bit of Bronze Age, Triangle Era and Rebirth era.
    Yeah, I think this is pretty close to my platonic ideal of Superman, and there's a linear progression of sorts here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I can't decide if going back is a good idea or not.

Superman has moved on. He's not the rough and tumble social crusader from 1938 anymore. He's married to Lois and doesn't need to go back to stories centered on Lois trying to prove his identity while he tries to disprove all her evidence. This isn't 1970 when Superman was king of the hill and able to have adventures without anyone asking about why half the DC Universe aren't involved. It isn't even 1990 where you can sell the book by using a supporting cast that aren't superheroes. Plus if we went back to any earlier status quo would it really be any different than another stop on the ever shifting continuity we've had the past decade plus.

You just can't go home again
    Very true. And you can try to rebuild home, but its still a new home that only superficially resembles the old one.

Which is not to say that you can't look to the past to create a new future for Superman. Some of the best takes on Superman have been inspired by the fact while having something new to say about the character. Morrison's New 52 run and All-Star Superman. Superman Smashes the Klan. CW's Superman & Lois. The Rebirth-era comics. But you can't just pander to nostalgia if you want the character to thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    My first impulse is to say early New 52. Give DC a second chance to build the unified, idealized Superman whose blueprint Grant Morrison sketched out of Silver Age whimsy and Golden Age grit. Maybe the second time around, DC won't toss out the best shot the character had at relevance in the 21st century.

Its one of my favorite takes on Superman as well, and what I'd base a cinematic reboot on. But it's not really an 'era' per say...unfortunately it was part of the New 52 era which was basically a kind of watered down Bronze Age/early Post-Crisis Superman in armor sans red trunks.

Extraordinary Member

I really enjoyed Loeb's run. It was just big and bombastic and fun and nearly everything I ever liked about the character (of course it helped that at this point the books were beginning to hastily shed a lot of the post-Crisis Byrne stuff that I loathed so much). I didn't really care for his Lois, though. It wasn't until she became a mom that I really began to be sold on the character. From Rebirth, right up until the end of Bendis' run (Bendis' Lois was fantastic).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Why go back to only one? If possible, I'd do minis set on various Earths that preserved those eras of Superman as seen in Doomsday Clock #12. The one I'd be most excited to read would be by Jurgens and Tomasi.

If that's not an option, I'd create a new era that springs from an event (not another fight with a big bad) that sees the pre-COIE Multiverse restored in its entirety with slight alterations. On this old/new Earth-One, we'd have the Silver/Bronze Age continue with some changes. It's now instead of 1985 but the Superman/Clark/Lois triangle is still there, Superman is still the first superhero, and the rich lore of those eras is fully on the table.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I also think it'd be cool to revisit the DC Comics Presents team-ups. Single issue or otherwise short-ish story lines with a variety of partners would be fun.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Bronze Age. All the stuff added in the Silver age is still there but with a slightly more mature tone. Having Clark Kent as a mobile tv news reporter works because that type of setup is pretty common now. My 2nd choice would be the 1986 - 1993 period. I’m a diehard Bronze Age Superman fan but this era was outstanding.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Bronze Age, just to see how it would have evolved naturally with all the lore still in place and without COIE mucking things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

Or this

Bronze, New 52, Triangle.

But honestly at this point I'd gladly accept any other era with both hands over this current one. Even with as resentful and generally not-a-fan as I was with Rebirth, I'd take that without question if it meant burying Infinite Frontier (including what would lead to it, sorry Bendis).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-14-2022 at 10:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El