Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Thirded. While the current run on ACTION is fine, it frankly sucks that its the only book featuring the real Superman. I would be ok with Jon having his own book as long as he didn't end up taking Clark's other book. Clark Kent /Kal-El should be the star of Action and Superman, full stop. The push to make Jon the main Superman really grinds my gears.
    I agree. I can't stand grown Jon Kent and really resent how they push the character on us, and if you don't like him you're a "bigot" (or whatever). It doesn't make any sense, it would be like if the Eradicator or Steel took over the main "Superman" book permanently and all we heard in the comics press was how great it was.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    I agree. I can't stand grown Jon Kent and really resent how they push the character on us, and if you don't like him you're a "bigot" (or whatever). It doesn't make any sense, it would be like if the Eradicator or Steel took over the main "Superman" book permanently and all we heard in the comics press was how great it was.
    I honestly wouldn't care if SUPERMAN:SON OF KAL-EL coexisted alongside two in continuity books for Clark. I understand that DC sees what Marvel has done with Spider-Man and some of their other heroes and want a piece of that action. I get that. But it shouldn't come at the expense of the original Superman. If they just had to give Jon the SUPERMAN solo title, then fine, resurrect the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN title for Clark. Or do a CLARK KENT: SUPERMAN book.

There's no reason why they couldn't have done it. For whatever reason DC wants people to start seeing Jon as the franchise's star and it feels like now that everything thats happened in the last few years regarding the Superman comics has gone to push Jon to the forefront and accelerate his adoption of the Superman mantle and to essentially soft replace his dad as THE Superman. They clearly want a "young, hip and edgier " Superman and tried with the New 52 and ultimately failed. I think DC sees Jon as their ticket to that type of Superman.

I liked Jon. I actually still like Jon as a concept and character. I don't like the fact he is pushing his father out of the spotlight and DC is really leaning into it hard.its frustrating.

Sorry for the off topic rant guys. Carry on your discussion about past eras.

For my two cents, I'd say Bronze Age or post Byrne pre Doomsday Triangle era. Both eras feel like they have similar vibes where they still acknowledged the past but were all about trying some new stuff and learned hard on developing an actual supporting cast for our hero and making Metropolis a character in the stories. Also starting to actually develop the Lois/Superman Lois /Clark relationship into something more than it was in previous eras.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-18-2022 at 02:43 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman comics is mediocre seller at best...Superman Supporting multiple comics ain't gonna happen.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Thirded. While the current run on ACTION is fine, it frankly sucks that its the only book featuring the real Superman. I would be ok with Jon having his own book as long as he didn't end up taking Clark's other book. Clark Kent /Kal-El should be the star of Action and Superman, full stop. The push to make Jon the main Superman really grinds my gears.
    But it’s not? We just had Superman ‘78. We’ve got another nostalgia book featuring Clark in Batman/Superman too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    But it’s not? We just had Superman ‘78. We’ve got another nostalgia book featuring Clark in Batman/Superman too.
    Could happen in the future. That is the point of Jon after all, to replace his father.

Retired

Nostalgia comics can never really replicate the era they're referencing, unfortunately.

I'm sure Didio thought he could replace Clark permanently. That man was a plague upon the House of El. And we know that AT&T saw a lot of adaptation potential in Jon as well.

But let's be real; regardless of what anyone "thinks" they can do, there's only one Superman, and his name is Clark. Jon's fine, and perfectly capable of carving out a niche for himself in both comics and larger media. Just like Kara and Conner did. But Clark is king, and that isn't going to change.

Maybe DC is still foolish enough to think they can get away with it. They let Jon eat one of Clark's titles and use the "Superman" name after all. But any of us who've been around for a minute have seen heroes replaced, we've seen DC say "this is *the* new guy! Forever!" and we all know how well that works.

Seems to me that the push Jon has had isn't about getting him positioned to replace Clark, but is trying to position him to stand alongside Clark. People aren't gonna accept a complete, 100% replacement. They may accept the idea of more than one Superman, same as we accept multiple Flashes. But replacing Clark completely is a fool's errand doomed to failure.

As Super fans, this is one of the last things we need to worry about. Jon doesn't have the sales to support the idea, for one thing, regardless of what Didio or anybody else wanted or planned to happen. Worst case scenario, DC tries to make it work against all logic and reason, realizes a few months deep that it's a dumb idea and their sales won't hold, and they walk it back and put Clark back where he belongs.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-18-2022 at 05:48 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm sure Didio thought he could replace Clark permanently. That man was a plague upon the House of El. And we know that AT&T saw a lot of adaptation potential in Jon as well.

But let's be real; regardless of what anyone "thinks" they can do, there's only one Superman, and his name is Clark. Jon's fine, and perfectly capable of carving out a niche for himself in both comics and larger media. Just like Kara and Conner did. But Clark is king, and that isn't going to change.

Maybe DC is still foolish enough to think they can get away with it. They let Jon eat one of Clark's titles and use the "Superman" name after all. But any of us who've been around for a minute have seen heroes replaced, we've seen DC say "this is *the* new guy! Forever!" and we all know how well that works.

Seems to me that the push Jon has had isn't about getting him positioned to replace Clark, but is trying to position him to stand alongside Clark. People aren't gonna accept a complete, 100% replacement. They may accept the idea of more than one Superman, same as we accept multiple Flashes. But replacing Clark completely is a fool's errand doomed to failure.

As Super fans, this is one of the last things we need to worry about. Jon doesn't have the sales to support the idea, for one thing, regardless of what Didio or anybody else wanted or planned to happen. Worst case scenario, DC tries to make it work against all logic and reason, realizes a few months deep that it's a dumb idea and their sales won't hold, and they walk it back and put Clark back where he belongs.
    I agree entirely.

Spectacular Member

Byrne/Jurgens eras followed by Loeb..

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

For me,jon or clark doesn't matter.Unless,the writers change the fundamental vision which they write superman with..Superman will have problems with relevance..A few good books with humor or action or story here and there won't change that.They would just be exceptions..But, that's just me.Even thor,an actual god whom should be worshipped isn't treated like sacred superman.There should be more supermen..Not just clark and jon.The more the merrier.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-19-2022 at 12:51 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

New 52 era. Warts and all, it was my favorite era of Superman I read, by far.

I mean, I even have the perfect first page for a New 52 - Earth Superman book, so obviously I want to read it someday XD
    Last edited by Korath; 05-19-2022 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Part of me thinks that the DC editors and publishers want to functionally kill off all the old-gen characters so they don't have royalties to pay. I don't know if it's TRUE though. It would imply they're going to stop using the old characters, not sure if they actually will. I mean, the OLD OLD characters(like Alan Scott) are sorta still around.

Astonishing Member

I don't get the fear about Jon, the kid was getting every adjective slapped on him to make him seem more impressive than his old man. They straight up raided the silver age/ golden age fridge (they friggin put the legion and Krypto in his corner) but at the end of the day the kid just talks a big talk. For all of the massive miss steps of the Post-Crisis Superman he still has some level of connection to the old Superman who actually did all of the things that Tom Taylor claims Jon is suppose to be doing. While Jon is having froyo parties with his little friends, Kal is out in space leading revolutions. Kid has pretty much stepped into his father's old conundrum where after the Golden Age he pretty much can't do anything if it ties back to Earth. Clark for the first time in pretty much forever is getting real work done. I'd rather he have 1 book where he's doing great things than 10 books of him doing diddly squat.

Besides Bruce bumped Clark off as the defacto hero of Earth years ago, Diana took being the first from him, he's too cowardly these days to try and make a difference in any real capacity, and all of his childhood friends don't even remember who he is. Other than some alone time with his old lady I don't really know what he's suppose to do on Earth anymore? His job is basically him going to a cubicle to play around and do nothing at this point. The writers are afraid of him becoming "political" which kind of neuters his role as a reporter to doing soft and predictable tales.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

How about going back to the post-Infinite Crisis era that had begun to restore the rich Earth-One/SA/BA mythology? Johns' work on Action was consistently great and Busiek's was good for the most part.

Take the Post-Crisis (1986-2000) era as a whole, sprinkle in some Bronze Age feels and mix in the Tomasi/Jurgans era and you got the right ingredients. Consolation of origins to the point it doesn’t contradict itself. Make a cohesive timeline that slides appropriately. Age down Jon so we can get those great coming of age stories that we never saw.

As for the actual story beats: Keep the basic premise of the Byrne/Ordway/Jurgans/Stern stuff. That was tight continuity. Weave Jon’s birth in the timeline where it fits (I’m thinking Lois gets pregnant around Final Night, when Clark was pretty much powerless.) Lex was a contemporary of Perry. Lex was a businessman turned President turned fugitive turned back to businessman. Lucy and Ron have a kid, as does Lana and Pete. Give Clark back his secret identity. Lex is self made by way of killing his parents and building his empire.

Even though you keep this “feel”, you still can move forward. Jon will slowly age. Bring back Linda Danvers while still having Kara. By opening up the books on that reality of stories, the possibilities would be endless.