Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #2 preview

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Mighty Member

I think the real job offer comes after issue 900. After Peter fights the super sinister adaptoid.

I can't keep the whole Sins straight thing but nobody is really treating Norman like, honestly, anyone should treat Norman at this point.

The one thing Janice hates is being coddled.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't keep the whole Sins straight thing but nobody is really treating Norman like, honestly, anyone should treat Norman at this point.
    Right? Such "quirky uncle" vibes from this scene. Even a pure-hearted guy like Peter should at least be extremely uneasy.

It's weird considering Norman turned Normie into a little Goblin Jr. a few years back and everybody's cool with having him just part of the family. I feel like they really need to sell good Norman better with stuff like that, sure it's a fun setup but it's also a big stretch without the legwork just having Norman be with the fam no questions asked. Also Stanley is like 5 now lol. Peter being anything less than 30 at this point makes little sense when you've got Normie being how old? 13 or so? Friends with teenage Dylan Brock out there.

Incredible Member

I'm usually a "c'mon guys let's give this a chance" when it comes to Spider-Man but I gotta side with people who thought this looked bad from the beginning. Admittedly I did check out emotionally on Spencer's run fairly early on and I think time proved me right on that. Speaking of Spencer's run if the whole Kindred thing was using science based illusions via Mysterio how does that square with the resurrected Sin Eater using mystical soul cleansings? Beyond and the current book act like the purifications were a very real thing? Also if this whole arc is dependent on Peter and the reader buying that Norman is a literal changed man then maybe it would be a good idea not to have him act like such an arrogant douche.

A few minor positives is JR's art looks better than it has in a long and (at least based on those pages) better than the first issue. Also anyone else picking up that Peter's relationship with children could be a theme of this run? Perhaps off panel Peter has decided he doesn't want kids due to his life as Spider-Man and that could be the reason he and MJ split and she's got a new guy with a ready made family. I could see that being of interest.

Mighty Member

The same Peter who was going to propose to MJ in Spencer's runk

Astonishing Member

My decision not to continue with this book is validated.

JRJr’s art is so much worse than it was in the 90s. His style has “evolved” into some rubbery, uncanny valley weirdness. Bring back Gleason!

Ham-fisted and forced Raimi Spider-Man reference… yawn (‘I’ll pay you when you fix this damn door’).

Norman was naive and innocent when his sins were stripped in that dumb Spencer storyline. Here he seems conniving and slimy, even if he isn’t “bad” per se.

Why is Peter even socializing with him? If I knew someone who murdered or hurt many of my loved ones, but then claimed they had changed… even if that change was real, I still would want nothing to do with them.

Did I mention the art is terrible? Look at Peter in the last panel. What even is that? It’s like he forgot how to properly align and space facial features on a face.
    28A87DE5-B016-4E02-9879-44AEEF130AF7.jpg
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 05-10-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    My decision not to continue with this book is validated.

JRJr’s art is so much worse than it was in the 90s. His style has “evolved” into some rubbery, uncanny valley weirdness. Bring back Gleason!

Ham-fisted and forced Raimi Spider-Man reference… yawn (‘I’ll pay you when you fix this damn door’).

Norman was naive and innocent when his sins were stripped in that dumb Spencer storyline. Here he seems conniving and slimy, even if he isn’t “bad” per se.

Why is Peter even socializing with him? If I knew someone who murdered or hurt many of my loved ones, but then claimed they had changed… even if that change was real, I still would want nothing to do with them.

Did I mention the art is terrible? Look at Peter in the last panel. What even is that?
    28A87DE5-B016-4E02-9879-44AEEF130AF7.jpg
    Say whatever you want about Spencer ( and trust me I had my issues with him), Peter was 100% correct about being fed up with Osborn. Peter is supposed to forget about Gwen and all the rotten things he did down through the years? He is supposed to forget that everything Osborn touches he ruins ( Harry and Phil come to mind)? Between that and making Peter look worse then ever, it is a story that I am sitting out.

Why the hell is Liz letting Norman anywhere near her kid?!

Stanley is still white I see.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I'm usually a "c'mon guys let's give this a chance" when it comes to Spider-Man but I gotta side with people who thought this looked bad from the beginning. Admittedly I did check out emotionally on Spencer's run fairly early on and I think time proved me right on that. Speaking of Spencer's run if the whole Kindred thing was using science based illusions via Mysterio how does that square with the resurrected Sin Eater using mystical soul cleansings? Beyond and the current book act like the purifications were a very real thing? Also if this whole arc is dependent on Peter and the reader buying that Norman is a literal changed man then maybe it would be a good idea not to have him act like such an arrogant douche.

A few minor positives is JR's art looks better than it has in a long and (at least based on those pages) better than the first issue. Also anyone else picking up that Peter's relationship with children could be a theme of this run? Perhaps off panel Peter has decided he doesn't want kids due to his life as Spider-Man and that could be the reason he and MJ split and she's got a new guy with a ready made family. I could see that being of interest.
    Technically, as of the finale of Spencer's run, Kindred was the end result of Harry Osborn's digitized consciousness from before he died being coopted by Mephisto, who also brought back the Stacy-Osborn twins (actually clones with Gwen and Norman's DNA implanted with false memories to believe they were Gwen and Norman's children) and had them acting as Kindred. It was all part of Mephisto's sick game to ultimately destroy Spider-Man and stave off his final defeat at the hands of either Spider-Man himself or Spider-Man's daughter with Mary Jane --- born of what Mephisto back in One More Day described as a "once-in-a-millennium love, blessed by the Most High," or something to that effect. The real Harry Osborn was dead and in hell all along thanks to Norman unwittingly selling Harry's soul to Mephisto years before Peter was born or became Spider-Man in his own Faustian bargain for earthly success and wealth, whereas the Harry we'd seen since the end of One More Day was a clone with memory implants to explain away how Harry could still be alive after "Best of Enemies." The clone Harry ultimately died saving Peter and/or the "cleansed" Norman, whereas the real Harry's soul was released from Mephisto's grip due to the wager Doctor Strange made with Mephisto using Spider-Man (and Mary Jane).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

So...three entire pages to dance around Stupid Mystery Box (since when does Norman pinch cheeks? And for someone who's been "cleansed," I agree he's acting rather conniving and slimy) and to establish Peter as a babysitter, not moving the main plot forward. And Peter is still obsessed with telling the reader the time, something he started in the previous issue.

*Sigh* Say what you want about Kindred, at least it was intriguing until the last minute jump the shark reveals. This is just...*yawn.* The only intrigue is coming from the characters being purposefully obtuse to keep the reader in the dark even though both characters know full well what happened and there's no reason for them not to openly discuss it except for the rather visible placement of Well's hand over their mouths.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It's weird considering Norman turned Normie into a little Goblin Jr. a few years back and everybody's cool with having him just part of the family. I feel like they really need to sell good Norman better with stuff like that, sure it's a fun setup but it's also a big stretch without the legwork just having Norman be with the fam no questions asked. Also Stanley is like 5 now lol. Peter being anything less than 30 at this point makes little sense when you've got Normie being how old? 13 or so? Friends with teenage Dylan Brock out there.
    Pete has consistently been depicted recently as in his early 30s by everyone but Spencer, when he did his “mid twenties” bit. Zdarsky’s SSM run even had him at 31 or older specifically. I loved Spencer’s run, but the mid-twenties line always sat with me strange since the latest he was “mid twenties” should be the 90s/earlier 2000s. I know it’s a nitpick since ages in comics always change, but it’s one of my pet peeves lol. The preview for this issue looks interesting, I do agree that Norman is acting much more Sinister than he was in Spencer’s run, maybe some of his sins have somehow been returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    I do agree that Norman is acting much more Sinister than he was in Spencer’s run, maybe some of his sins have somehow been returned.
    In the words of morally inverted Roderick Kingsley, "You think someone just wakes up one day and they're good? You think evil just goes away? WRONG!"

(Ironically, he was feigning being evil all along, but still.)

Astonishing Member

Agreed with everything said here. (I won't quote you all, for obvious reasons)

Adding two more peeves:
    Another mystery on top of the ones we already had?
    Peter face is not even consistent with the previous issue