Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: ASM #2 preview

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    If that person didn't tag Lowe, maybe they would have been able to vent without a problem. When the approach is polite, there're some really insightful exchanges betweens creators and fans.
    That's a very good point.

Besides, you know there's probably a social media intern at Marvel who is scouring the 'net for reaction anyway. The tweets will be seen even without @ someone or using a hashtag.

I do agree that the cover wasn't a fair move, but I can see multiple scenarios:

-It was planned for another issue and moved for some reason
    -The cover was solicited before the script was done. The script changed and excluded MJ for this issue later on
    -It is to reflect what it's happening to Peter and MJ's relationship overall in the storyline (which I don't particularly like. I like my covers to talk about the story inside)

Or the shit reason: a cover bait, which is always possible, of course
    I don't think it was planned for another issue or that Marvel skipped an issue. I've seen speculation that the story we got was supposed to be issue #3 and they dropped the story for #2, because of the delay in publication. But if they were going to skip an issue, then they would've skipped the whole thing, including the cover.

I'm fairly certain the delay in publication was due to the paper shortage and also the pandemic-induced limited capacity at printers. It's affecting all of publishing, not just comics. Marvel appears to be back on track, with all the remaining announced ASM issues having publication dates. For some reason ASM #5 isn't on Marvel's website, but it's scheduled for July 6 on retailer websites.

I'm placing my bet on #2 - the covers and solicits went done before Wells broke down his outline into scripts. And I honestly wouldn't blame Marvel for wanting a Peter/MJ cover early on. A) MJ covers sell; B) Putting out a cover several months in advance implying Peter & MJ break up at the start of Well's run helped to calibrate fan expectations.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    That's a very good point.

Besides, you know there's probably a social media intern at Marvel who is scouring the 'net for reaction anyway. The tweets will be seen even without @ someone or using a hashtag.

I don't think it was planned for another issue or that Marvel skipped an issue. I've seen speculation that the story we got was supposed to be issue #3 and they dropped the story for #2, because of the delay in publication. But if they were going to skip an issue, then they would've skipped the whole thing, including the cover.

I'm fairly certain the delay in publication was due to the paper shortage and also the pandemic-induced limited capacity at printers. It's affecting all of publishing, not just comics. Marvel appears to be back on track, with all the remaining announced ASM issues having publication dates. For some reason ASM #5 isn't on Marvel's website, but it's scheduled for July 6 on retailer websites.

I'm placing my bet on #2 - the covers and solicits went done before Wells broke down his outline into scripts. And I honestly wouldn't blame Marvel for wanting a Peter/MJ cover early on. A) MJ covers sell; B) Putting out a cover several months in advance implying Peter & MJ break up at the start of Well's run helped to calibrate fan expectations.
    It's be funny if they dropped the kids angle after the first issue and was never bought up again. Have Moria Jane then elude to a reunion because marvel knows that's the only logical solution to have but also by having it getting a sales bump

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It's be funny if they dropped the kids angle after the first issue and was never bought up again
    That'd be the-what-fourth dropped plot with MJ in the last decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    That'd be the-what-fourth dropped plot with MJ in the last decade?
    But would it really be a bad one. Just move on to an X-men plot then bring them back together
    Lowe is seeming like he's losing it. Fans starting to get to him

Astonishing Member

But would it really be a bad one. Just move on to an X-men plot then bring them back together
    Lowe is seeming like he's losing it. Fans starting to get to him
    Honestly, IMO Lowe is far more publicly polite, pleasant and professional than many of his colleagues. It’s a thankless job in the first place because it’s impossible to please every single reader - plus people are quick to criticize, not so quick to praise. And I think the world in general is more on edge right now.

Just really bad timing for bait-and-switch marketing, no matter how innocent the reason for the misleading cover. Again, IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Honestly, IMO Lowe is far more publicly polite, pleasant and professional than many of his colleagues. It’s a thankless job in the first place because it’s impossible to please every single reader - plus people are quick to criticize, not so quick to praise. And I think the world in general is more on edge right now.

Just really bad timing for bait-and-switch marketing, no matter how innocent the reason for the misleading cover. Again, IMO!
    It's public perception thing. If he says something bad it will become a PR nightmare

BANNED

It's public perception thing. If he says something bad it will become a PR nightmare
    His passive aggression in the tweets are embarrassing enough already. Don't want bad publicity? Let the artist paint, let the writer write, and say nothing.

Spectacular Member

In my opinion, "Sorry you didn't like the issue" is fine as far as responses go. There's a difference between responding to someone tagging you on social media and joining a CBR thread expecting nothing but praise. If a person insults someone on Twitter, a sensible adult reaction is not a flaw in the person that was belittled. I don't care if Lowe "deserved" it because of that title bait or character treatment; basic politeness should have stopped fans from doing it in the first place. When fans act entitled, the behavior does nothing to assist their real concerns. The (possible) reaction to ASM #1(purchasing less Spider-man comics, if what the diamond sales indicated holds) is a considerably more helpful method to let creatives know the fanbase does not support their decisions.

Assuming a fan wants to persuade a Staff member toward their opinion, etiquette instructs them to politely word it without verbally attacking the employee and expressing unhelpful assumptions regarding their audience's character. Usually, a fan just wants to complain about the issue on Twitter without any fuss, so they would avoid tagging, write only the Staff member's surname, avoid using the name, use * instead of the letters(Ex: "L*we", "L*w*", or "L***"), or make their blog private to avoid it entirely and delete their posts when they unlock their blog. Politeness isn't necessarily passive-aggressive: it's an employee doing their job. Lowe's behavior is more professional than some creatives I could name.
    Last edited by Lunala; 05-26-2022 at 04:27 PM.

BANNED

The first issue of the Saturday Morning GI Joe comic from IDW has a brilliant PSA attached to the end about trolling creators online.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Nick Lowe seems like a super nice guy and he's done really good work on the Spider-Man line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Nick Lowe seems like a super nice guy and he's done really good work on the Spider-Man line.
    "Simpson, you've made my day, you're a true gentleman, oh wait there's more..."

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I mean according to you he's Mr Burns with that logic
    Last edited by Mercwmouth12; 05-27-2022 at 05:55 AM.

BANNED

I mean according to you he's Mr Burns with that logic
    Actually, it reminds me of the "exact opposite" joke.

Lowe deals with a lot, as is his job, and he's well within his rights to have a few backing him.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 05-27-2022 at 06:17 AM.

The biggest reason this run will fail now will not be from word of mouth and people being disinterested from the story but now from theses delays and if they want to care enough to continue when everything keeps getting pushed back

Spectacular Member

delays
    Oh no. What was delayed this time?