Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #2 preview

Ugh, this makes so little sense.

Say what you like about Liz's character arc these days but she's always loved her son. Last time she was face-to-face with Norman he was sinless and she still hated his guts. Why, why would she let him within a thousand-mile radius of Normie? (Also... does she just have custody of Stanley now? What about his grandfather?)

I just can't work out why Peter's reaction in that scene isn't "GET THE **** AWAY FROM MY GODSON" and punching Norman into next month's issue.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

BANNED

I like that, so far anyway, the prevailing theme of all this is that it's about parenting.

Peter-Babysitting Normie and Stanley
    Norman-Being there for his grandsons
    MJ-With her own kids
    Tombstone-Looking out for Janice and Randy

That is a very interesting angle to focus on in the 60th anniversary, and it really gives me vibes this is not your atypical BND-level direction

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I like that, so far anyway, the prevailing theme of all this is that it's about parenting.

Peter-Babysitting Normie and Stanley
    Norman-Being there for his grandsons
    MJ-With her own kids
    Tombstone-Looking out for Janice and Randy

That is a very interesting angle to focus on in the 60th anniversary, and it really gives me vibes this is not your atypical BND-level direction
    I’d agree except Wells seems to love to kill off kids in his stories: babies and children were found horribly mutilated in Hellions plus Kwannon’s daughter was destroyed for good; he literally entombed the one parent/child relationship (albeit a murderous one, so). We all know what happened to Billy Connors in Shed.

He hasn’t been a warm and fuzzy writer to date. He seems to write characters who are morally conflicted with shades of grey (the darker, the better). But maybe he’ll surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Norman Osborn: "You want money? Babysit my grandchildren. "

Norman was implied last issue to know about Peter's issues so that's actually a nice way of writing a (former) villain "tricking" Spider-Man into accepting cash from them and distracting him from internalizing his problems. Peter might not be keen on accepting donations but if he felt he earned it doing something genuinely innocuous like looking after Harry's children, it wouldn't be so bad.
    Except doesn’t Norman know Peter is Spider-Man? Why would he want someone whose first responsibility is (or should be; Wells showed Peter actively shirking going on patrol in #1) dropping everything to help others to babysit children?! That’s like asking a doctor who is on call in the ER to look after your kids.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-11-2022 at 07:51 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I straight up forgot Harry had a son with the Menace woman.

But I guess that was his clone or some ****.

Jesus.
    "Cable was right!"

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I’d agree except Wells seems to love to kill off kids in his stories: babies and children were found horribly mutilated in Hellions plus Kwannon’s daughter was destroyed for good; he literally entombed the one parent/child relationship (albeit a murderous one, so). We all know what happened to Billy Connors in Shed.

He hasn’t been a warm and fuzzy writer to date. He seems to write characters who are morally conflicted with shades of grey (the darker, the better). But maybe he’ll surprise?

Except doesn’t Norman know Peter is Spider-Man? Why would he want someone whose first responsibility is (or should be; Wells showed Peter actively shirking going on patrol in #1) dropping everything to help others to babysit children?! That’s like asking a doctor who is on call in the ER to look after your kids.
    Unless distracting Peter is his intent?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    This makes me miss the relationship Peter and Ock had after the first run of Superior Spider-Man, I wish Otto still remembered Peter’s identity.
    I never cared for it if only because Peter gave Ock too much of a pass for Superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post

Uh...that's a weird trend to have in your writing, to be honest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I straight up forgot Harry had a son with the Menace woman.

But I guess that was his clone or some ****.

Jesus.
    Stanley is going to crumble to dust I feel. Wells won't be able to resist it and traumatise Normie some more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Stanley is going to crumble to dust I feel. Wells won't be able to resist it and traumatise Normie some more.
    Or get eaten by Norman when the sins return to him

Incredible Member

This... is so damn bad. How can anyone defend this? This seems so out of character for Peter. Remember when Harry was sending May goblin in the box toys and leaving exploding costumes filled with confetti in beds. Peter was insanely pissed during those times and Harry was just messing with him. Norman killed Gwen, Flash and countless innocents and Peter is okay with his presence? This is "in character" for some fans???

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Norman killed Gwen, Flash and countless innocents and Peter is okay with his presence? This is "in character" for some fans???
    And his daught-- well, kinda.

Admittedly Peter's seen enough odd stuff that a repentant Norman trying to be good might not be that far-fetched. But even with that being the case, it does not read like the kind of interaction that would happen between these two characters. Spencer did a much better job with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    And his daught-- well, kinda.

Admittedly Peter's seen enough odd stuff that a repentant Norman trying to be good might not be that far-fetched. But even with that being the case, it does not read like the kind of interaction that would happen between these two characters. Spencer did a much better job with it.
    Yeah, even if Peter can stand to be in his presence for more than five minutes, he should be seething with distain and anger in every panel, which I just don't feel here.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    This... is so damn bad. How can anyone defend this? This seems so out of character for Peter. Remember when Harry was sending May goblin in the box toys and leaving exploding costumes filled with confetti in beds. Peter was insanely pissed during those times and Harry was just messing with him. Norman killed Gwen, Flash and countless innocents and Peter is okay with his presence? This is "in character" for some fans???
    Word. We lost Harry and Ben for this.
    "Cable was right!"

Why is Stanley white? What the hell is this?

Lily is a blond white woman and Harry was some ginger dude.

What the heck were people expecting Stanley to look like? Kobe?

EDIT: Oh wait. She's dark in some books but white in others. Geez.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 05-11-2022 at 01:06 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Also, son of a clone. Defective.