Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: ASM #2 preview

https://twitter.com/RedLReviews/stat...PRYljpYKaf_W3Q
    This man Nick Lowe is legit the king of bad ideas. Holy ****
    (Twitter has been going OFF on this dude btw, lmao)

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    To be fair, it's on Bendis to have latched onto that idea.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    To be fair, it's on Bendis to have latched onto that idea.
    I liked the way it was done in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon better, where Wolverine and Spider-Man switching bodies was explicitly the work of a villainous telepath rather than Jean Grey trying to punish Logan for his unwanted advances by stuffing him in Peter's body (where he proceeded to make unwanted advances toward another redhead, i.e. Mary Jane) while Peter was stuck in his body, leading to Peter cursing out all the X-Men once Jean (finally) undid the switch.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Maybe the Prince. He still has a ways to go to top Quesada.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I liked the way it was done in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon better, where Wolverine and Spider-Man switching bodies was explicitly the work of a villainous telepath rather than Jean Grey trying to punish Logan for his unwanted advances by stuffing him in Peter's body (where he proceeded to make unwanted advances toward another redhead, i.e. Mary Jane) while Peter was stuck in his body, leading to Peter cursing out all the X-Men once Jean (finally) undid the switch.
    It was Ultimate Jean Grey though, I can believe it coming from her .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The very same. That story is a good example of why context matters. If Marvel Knights Spider-Man had been written differently and opened up at "Spidey and Black Cat team up to spring Green Goblin from prison," I... don't know, man. The mystery box method rarely works in comics when it forces people to take confusing character choices at face value and trust the writer will stick the landing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_bonding

Those two have a platonic trauma bond. Spencer handled it nicely(before, well...) and from the way their conversation reads in the preview, Norman is now (unintentionally, probably) reinforcing the trauma bond the characters began forming the moment GG lost years of memory after discovering Spider-man's identity, and Peter Parker chose to keep his identity secret after Peter's Spidey sense stopped registering the villain as a threat. That is an interesting story but can Zeb Wells write it with editorial's interference? I don't know. Is it wildly ooc for Peter to give Norman Osborn the time of the day? Not with the right context. To babysit children? No. Peter Parker is precious with kids. Usually. Unfortunately context is unavailable and upcoming titles are pulling a knife on the readership.

I gotta say, that story arc introduced me to my OTP: Mary Jane & Glock. I die a little each time she's in danger and those two beautiful platonic soulmates are parted. I don't expect firearms to be effective against major villains, but there's something so satisfying about MJ shooting people trying to kill her and her loved ones and being ACKNOWLEDGED by the villain as "Clever" for actively playing a part in helping Peter. Spidey might have a code but MJ won't hesitate, glitch. I miss it so much.
    Last edited by Lunala; 05-12-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Not a lot to say t hat hasn't already been covered. Seeing Norman and Peter after all their history 'getting along' in any way feels wrong on an emotional level to a lot of fans and justifiably so.

It really depends on what kind of characterization and version of the Goblin and Norman's relatiopnship to each other that they want to go for. If they wanna slide into a more DaFoe like version of the character, that's fine, but they need to actually stick to it.

On the other hand, this could exist to show how *low* this Spidey is right now, that he'd take a job from Norman Osborne because he's so physically, emotionaly, and financially depleted and probably they both have lingering shared guilt over Harry while Norman is 'sinless'.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Not a lot to say t hat hasn't already been covered. Seeing Norman and Peter after all their history 'getting along' in any way feels wrong on an emotional level to a lot of fans and justifiably so.

It really depends on what kind of characterization and version of the Goblin and Norman's relatiopnship to each other that they want to go for. If they wanna slide into a more DaFoe like version of the character, that's fine, but they need to actually stick to it.

On the other hand, this could exist to show how *low* this Spidey is right now, that he'd take a job from Norman Osborne because he's so physically, emotionaly, and financially depleted and probably they both have lingering shared guilt over Harry while Norman is 'sinless'.

The bigger problem to me is that it all feels unearned

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    This.

Wells hasn’t anchored the reader in this new status quo, just thrown us in the deep end with only very cryptic (and highly annoying, because we’re the only ones in the dark) clues.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    This.

Wells hasn’t anchored the reader in this new status quo, just thrown us in the deep end with only very cryptic (and highly annoying, because we’re the only ones in the dark) clues.
    We're two issues in. I'm not too worried about that yet, personally.

If you don't count all of Beyond. And we all saw what a mess that was in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If you don't count all of Beyond. And we all saw what a mess that was in the end.
    I wouldn't personally lump beyond into it, myself.

I wouldn't personally lump beyond into it, myself.
    Zeb Wells wrote the first and last issues of Beyond (and a few more in between), and Spider-Man still has the same editorial team. We're even going to get a follow-up to Ben Reilly in Dark Web.

I don't understand why you wouldn't count Beyond as part of this run.

Astonishing Member

Personally, I need a reason to care about the characters to keep reading and “just trust me” while solely playing off emotional attachment earned by other, better writers gets a big fat ol’ eyeroll and a closed wallet from me. I can always buy the trade collection if by some miracle this mystery that isn’t a mystery to anyone but the reader pans out. But everyone is different. *shrug*
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-13-2022 at 08:41 AM.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    It does seem unearned, but at the same time, there's six months of history between Norman and Peter we're not privy to yet. Hopefully that will be fleshed out further than Peter just forgiving Norman for not being responsible for his actions due to Mephisto's influence (or something like that).