Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel's Voices Pride #1 to introduce new hero Escapade

"Escapade, whose real name is Shela Sexton, is a trans mutant who can instantaneously switch physical locations with another person or trade any specific physical or abstract attribute such as possessions, organizational status, skills, superhuman powers, and even situations! Escapade is only able to maintain the power for a few hours at a time a time and must be within seven feet of her target, and the more complex the switch, the higher the chance of a mishap.

Luckily for Escapade, she has an invaluable partner at her side, her tech-savvy best friend Morgan Red, along with a tool belt containing an arsenal of stolen tools and devices. Together, Escapade and Morgan tear through the Marvel Universe as professional thieves, stealing from criminal and corrupt organizations...until a meeting with Emma Frost and Destiny changes the course of Escapade’s life forever."

"Fans can look forward to Escapade’s return in the fall in a special story arc of NEW MUTANTS guest-written by Anders."

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...escapade-debut
    Last edited by Diammandis; 05-11-2022 at 12:49 PM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Incredible Member

Again? is this really necessary? Are they going to create a new character in every Marvel Pride?
    Anole, Madin, Loa, Mercury, Bling!, Greymalking, Darvail, Northstar, Prodigy, Shinobi, Christian Frost, Iceman and many other characters are not doing anything right know. Lest not forget all off the characters crated by Ayala in her NM run, why not used them?

This is cute and all, but where is a solo ongoing starring a trans character, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Again? is this really necessary? Are they going to create a new character in every Marvel Pride?
    Anole, Madin, Loa, Mercury, Bling!, Greymalking, Darvail, Northstar, Prodigy, Iceman and many other characters are not doing anything right know. Lest not forget all off the characters crated by Ayala in her NM run, why not used them?
    hell Iceman isn't even doing anything right now, but I'll wait to pass judgment, Escapade is a trans hero and I'm fine with more trans characters being added to the marvel mythos so I'm not entirely too peeved about another new character
    She's A Lifebringer

She's A Lifebringer

Incredible Member

Skids wore it better

Anole, Madin, Loa, Mercury, Bling!, Greymalking, Darvail, Northstar, Prodigy, Shinobi, Christian Frost, Iceman and many other characters are not doing anything right know. Lest not forget all off the characters crated by Ayala in her NM run, why not used them?
    Hell, even beyond that, there are tons of characters that fans have been clamoring for years to be able to do anything at all that constantly get passed over yet they keep creating these characters who get to just cut ahead of the entire line. After a while, these characters stop feeling like characters and start feeling more like diversity hires that only exist to fill a quota.

I think I like her power, but what does it mean, switching "organisational status" ??

Also that "Professor X is a JERK" poster makes no sense but is hilarious !
    Maybe Kate made merch of that moment ! Get the money, girl !
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 05-11-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

It's good that we're finally getting a trans character in the X-books, and the fact that they already have plans for where she will appear next is encouraging. I don't love the design, I've never been a fan of yellow and that jumpsuit is not cute, it has strong April O'Neil vibes. The description of her power kind of confuses me. Like I'm sure in practice it will just be a form of power/skill mimicry, but the switch aspect is odd to me, what part of herself does she give away while she's borrowing someone else's ability? It's a weird caveat that I'm not sure about.

Astonishing Member

It feels like they could eventualy make a comic with all the characters created for the "voices" comics or many of those promoted in it under the title "Gone in 60 seconds", which would express their general success at gaining relevance or staying used.

Representation is good and fine, but these comics just keep highlighting how underused or ignored many of these characters are. A lot of patting one self on the shoulder, but not actualy improving from the actual problem of underusage or building on what is actualy there.

I like her power. It's pretty unique and could lead to some creative hijinks. We also don't have many trans heroes, so that could be swag.

My major complaints are her outfit, which I hate, and that we're getting a transwoman. I woulda preferred a transman or something similar, since the vast, vast majority of trans rep are transwomen. But I'm not gonna hold anything against the creators or the character for not going with something different.

Still, that is an ugly-ass outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

None of those characters you listed that are more than background characters or 1-2 appearance characters are trans. So yeah, it's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Hell, even beyond that, there are tons of characters that fans have been clamoring for years to be able to do anything at all that constantly get passed over yet they keep creating these characters who get to just cut ahead of the entire line. After a while, these characters stop feeling like characters and start feeling more like diversity hires that only exist to fill a quota.
    not comic fans complaining about diverse characters using "cut ahead of the line" metaphors.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What even happened in the dice panel? Hope they explain their powers better.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    None of those characters you listed that are more than background characters or 1-2 appearance characters are trans. So yeah, it's necessary.
    Like we really have close to no trans rep in x-books right now, like we barely have any trans characters besides Jessie Drake who coincidentally also showed up in last years pride comic, but, Marvel isnt even using her. Honestly there’s nothing wrong with marvel creating a new trans character, literally at this point the more the merrier.

The only downside is that shes dressed hideously, hopefully her encounter with Emma brings us a new wardrobe as well
    She's A Lifebringer