Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you stop a Reality Warper?

Set up: You recently discover three things.

One, someone is changing Reality in ways that are subtle, though occasionally something happens that implies whoever is doing this is holding back, and has more power than they are displaying.

Two, that you are immune from being directly affected by these changes. The world around you might change, but you retain your memories and you are 100% certain that nothing about you personally has changed. Note that, for example, if this person turns a friendly dog into a large, angry Brown Bear, you best move away quickly.

Three, that you figured out who is doing it and that it is someone in your own community.

Assuming that this person likes playing with this power enough not to listen to reason and that there is a risk that taking the wrong action might escalate things, how do you stop a Reality Warper?

Bonus: If you are in physical contact with something, that something also doesn't change (example: If you are driving a car, the car doesn't suddenly turn into a boat)
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Kind of depends on the nature of the powerset at play here. If they are akin to an Omega level mutant and thereby don't actually need a physical body, there's not much I can do to stop them.

Also I live in a city of almost 9 million people, I highly doubt I'll find this person easily haha.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Erm...yeah. Hard to stop them. Especially since 'Immune to being directly affected' actually isn't a whole lot of protection at all; there's a metric crap-ton of things someone can do to put me down nigh-instantly that don't need to be 'I warp your existence'.

Even if your morals allow for it (or your fear outgrows your morals), killing them is (to say the least) risky (assuming they CAN be killed by whatever we can muster, which we really don't know). Slightest error, any threat is warped away and then the attacker dies. Sooooo...not a lot to work with, especially since thread stipulations state that talking them down isn't going to work.

I guess at some point one needs to make the decision. Are they doing things that are hurting people to the point where it becomes 'either I do something, or I don't and things go to the crapper anyway'? If so, then I guess one might want to take the chance (assuming the reality warper can even be harmed). If not, then it's probably wiser to accept that this is how the world is, now.

I mean...we're talking about putting a seemingly powerful reality warper into our real world, and we're not superheroes with plot shields. The 'cannot be warped' is nice, but in the end it's nothing if the warper decides you need to go.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-12-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Kind of depends on the nature of the powerset at play here. If they are akin to an Omega level mutant and thereby don't actually need a physical body, there's not much I can do to stop them.

Also I live in a city of almost 9 million people, I highly doubt I'll find this person easily haha.
    Lets' say that by Community I mean Neighborhood or the equivalent. Someone you might not know very well, but you have seen them in public places like stores, or at work, or so on. It might have taken you a few months of detective work, but you finally managed to figure it out.

Then, let's say that the changes are mostly localized. Potentially dangerous, but for the most part currently harmless. There is no evidence yet that the person is Omega, though the full extent of this power is unknown. It's possible that this person might not know themselves.

If you can get to them quickly enough, you might be able to do something that keeps this situation from reaching an out-of-control level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Lets' say that by Community I mean Neighborhood or the equivalent. Someone you might not know very well, but you have seen them in public places like stores, or at work, or so on. It might have taken you a few months of detective work, but you finally managed to figure it out.

Then, let's say that the changes are mostly localized. Potentially dangerous, but for the most part currently harmless. There is no evidence yet that the person is Omega, though the full extent of this power is unknown. It's possible that this person might not know themselves.

If you can get to them quickly enough, you might be able to do something that keeps this situation from reaching an out-of-control level.
    Not sure how this obviates any of the problems I've outlined above. I still feel it boils down to 'do you already feel it's going to escalate to the point where you would be very much worse off and taking a shot at them - somehow - is worth the risk?' If so, clearly life has gone to the crapper and why not take a shot, so to speak. If not, then why would one risk death with a very low chance of 'fixing' something?
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Not sure how this obviates any of the problems I've outlined above. I still feel it boils down to 'do you already feel it's going to escalate to the point where you would be very much worse off and taking a shot at them - somehow - is worth the risk?' If so, clearly life has gone to the crapper and why not take a shot, so to speak. If not, then why would one risk death with a very low chance of 'fixing' something?
    I'll give you a hint, it is possible. There are at least two solutions that I can think of. Solutions I'll share later on. I'd like to see if anyone else can come up with ideas first.

I'll give you a hint, it is possible. There are at least two solutions that I can think of. Solutions I'll share later on. I'd like to see if anyone else can come up with ideas first.
    Sorry, I thought this was some generalized 'how does one deal with a reality warper' rather than a game. Apologies and my mistake.
    Why are we here?

The funny part about that is that I'm soon moving. It's only about three miles, but it's a different neighborhood. With those rules, I just move away. Killing them isn't much of an option. Even if they are just as killable as anyone else, if I could bring myself to do it without hesitation (very doubtful), nobody else is aware of the reality warping so I'm in prison for murder.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Sorry, I thought this was some generalized 'how does one deal with a reality warper' rather than a game. Apologies and my mistake.
    It is a generalized 'how does one deal', only I have my own ideas and I wanted others to know that this isn't an impossible scenario. I am actually interested to see if anyone can come up with ideas of their own.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Realize that I was the Reality Warper the whole time, making myself periodically forget so I could enjoy the mystery. Then I stop using my powers that way once I get bored of the game, and go do something else instead.

If it's subtle, realistically speaking I would morally feel obliged to not escalate until they did something big and deadly. It's not Minority report after all, and I don't have the best Charisma to talk them down

If I have to kill them...guess I'd have to figure something out and try to Agent 47 them somehow through an accident.

Given that I am not a fictional hitman, that attempt likely goes poorly but I'd guess it'd involve some form of poison
    Last edited by Postmania; 05-12-2022 at 06:07 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

If you are creative enough, it is possible to kill this reality warper. Reality warpers are not omniscient, so out-thinking them is possible. I am not in favor of the killing option, so there is a second possibility, at least as far as I have been able to come up with. That is to trick them into using their powers on themselves to Depower themselves.

It might take time, and some risks, but using some creative tricks it might be possible to neutralize them, power-wise.

Mighty Member

High powered rifle from ambush. Just like Kincaid suggests in the Dresden Files. The reality warper is dead before they know they are under attack.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    High powered rifle from ambush. Just like Kincaid suggests in the Dresden Files. The reality warper is dead before they know they are under attack.
    And that's the other way.

Astonishing Member

So.... He could be like Anthony Fremont in Its a Good Life Tz ep or like that Writer fellow in A world of his own tz ep. If I could summon the courage, I suppose I’d have to find away to take the former out. If it’s the latter and he’s just making himself comfortable and not doing anything too manevolent, I let it go.