Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Has anyone been crazy enough to bring back a comic character that debuted before Superman did?
    New Fun Comics #6 was cover-dated October 1935.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    You just summed up why Final Crisis was an unmitigated disaster.
    Hardly a disaster. It should have never been billed as a Crisis event. It should have been marketed as the sequel to Morrison's Mr Miracle work and tie in to his Batman run that it was. It didn't help that Morrison was frustrated at getting only 6 issues for the 12 issue plan so they spread out the story across several titles they were writing at the time and they didn't even want 'Death of the New Gods' or 'Countdown to Final Crisis' tie in comics. Otherwise, it's up there with being one of the wildest, most creative stories that Morrison has ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well, DC brought back a whole bunch of old pulp heroes for awhile, like The Shadow and Doc Savage...
    I remember that. I was intrigued by that but it seemed to be another thing cut short by the Nu52 (now there is an unmitigated disaster).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Thanks. I had forgotten about him. Also created by the same creators as Superman I believe.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Thanks. I had forgotten about him. Also created by the same creators as Superman I believe.
    From the GCD:
    Doctor Occult / comic story / 0.9 page
    Script: Jerry Siegel (credited as Leger)
    Pencils: Joe Shuster (credited as Reuths)
    Inks: Joe Shuster (credited as Reuths)
    Letters: ?
    First Line of Dialogue or Text:
    Dr. Occult, the Ghost Detective, has sworn to combat supernatural evil in this world.
    Genre: adventure; fantasy-supernatural; superhero
    Characters:
    Dr. Occult (introduction); Lois Amster; Sander Amster; Rose Psychic; The Vampire
    Synopsis:
    Dr. Occult and his partner Rose attempt to stop a vampire from attacking the Amsters.
    https://www.comics.org/issue/92/

Hardly a disaster. It should have never been billed as a Crisis event. It should have been marketed as the sequel to Morrison's Mr Miracle work and tie in to his Batman run that it was. It didn't help that Morrison was frustrated at getting only 6 issues for the 12 issue plan so they spread out the story across several titles they were writing at the time and they didn't even want 'Death of the New Gods' or 'Countdown to Final Crisis' tie in comics. Otherwise, it's up there with being one of the wildest, most creative stories that Morrison has ever done.
    To say nothing of the fact that out of the entire cast, maybe only Sonny Sumo and the Human Flame is 'one appearance in 1972' obscure. The rest of the New Gods and the cast are pretty well established throughout DC Canon.

Retired

Has anyone been crazy enough to bring back a comic character that debuted before Superman did?
    I think by crazy you mean super-intelligent. I guess Dr. Occult and Rose Psychic are the oldest original comics characters to be brought back. They also brought back Slam Bradley and Speed Saunders.

Sheldon Mayer brought his Scribbly with him from Dell to re-use him in ALL-AMERICAN COMICS and later his own comic. Then again briefly in SUGAR AND SPIKE. Scribbly then showed up in an issue of SECRET ORIGINS in the 1980s--and, of course, the spin-off character of Red Tornado has been around since then.

Oswald the Rabbit appeared in the very first issue of NEW FUN (February 1935)--where it all began for National Allied, which became D.C. An animator named Walt Disney created Oswald for a series of cartoons in the 1920s which would be released by Universal. Walter Lantz later took over the cartoon series for Universal. After his seven-issue stint in NEW FUN, Dell became the rabbit's comic book publisher, from 1942 until 1962. Oswald appeared in Lantz cartoons up to 1951. After pretty much falling into obscurity, the Disney Corporation wanted to regain control of Oswald the "Lucky" Rabbit and in 2006 they traded Al Michaels for him, regaining the character from NBC Universal. After that Disney has used the rabbit in merchandising and he's potentially going to appear in an upcoming animation project. I suppose, if he appears in comics again it will more likely be in a Marvel comic.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Scorch in Justice League Vol 2 #27... however, it doesn't end good. RIP Scotty, who should've been DC's Clint Barton (in terms of personality)
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=MajorHoy;6047599]/QUOTE]
    Managed to run into him just enough in my formative years to be a bit of a fan. Though he dosn't show up a lot. And I think is dead and has been since... 2012 or so?
    Last edited by NathanS; 05-18-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Does Lilith/Omen in the Rebirth Titans run count?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Not the most obscure but I appreciated Scott Snyder bringing Starman into his Justice League run.
    Yeah I was surprised when Will Payton showed up there, a far more popular Starman in Jack Knight always made me think he wouldn't return lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I'll one up this. The Golden Age Two-Face, Harvey Kent, was essentially retired after his third appearance where he was fixed permanently in 'Tec #80. The third Two-Face- yes, third- was Paul Sloane in Batman #68, his only appearance. Decades later, Post-Crisis, the ersatz Two-Face had an appearance in 'Tec #580 (November 1987) before eventually being brought in as a heavily rebooted, long term character in Brubaker's 'Tec #777 (February 2003). It's a wild legacy for a one-shot replacement from 1951.
    It's actually funny to see how some "permanent" characters in Batman's rogue's gallery didn't stand out at first, Scarecrow was a golden age villain who only showed up a few times and his initial motivation was to get money to buy books even, and he only got the fear gas in post crisis, the 80's, and he was ripping off Mr. Fear from Marvel for doing so lol.

Does the green car from Action Comics #1 count? :P I've seen that cover recreated several times. I can't remember specifically which comic it was but there have been a few that tried to give the cover some backstory so the guy freaking out on the cover is also a fully fledged character.
    Is it AC#1000?

Only example I remember right now of someone from that specific incident getting a backstory, but DC probably did that plenty of times lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Rwcwntly in the back-up of Action comics, the Martian Manhunter story is bringing back several obscure characters: Mr. V, professor Arnold Hugo, VULTURE, even the old nickname of MM, the "Alien Atlas".
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Only example I remember right now of someone from that specific incident getting a backstory, but DC probably did that plenty of times lol.
    He's been shown a few times over the years i know of, but the only other time he got a speaking role was in Superman's post-death experience in Sueprman/Batman #42, where he was called Rick Randomski.

Extraordinary Member

Keith Giffen used an obscure character called Glorith to replace the Time Trapper in the Legion 5YL book.

James "Jimmy" Henton. A throwaway character who was retconned much later into becoming a much more significant character in Alan Scott's life:
    Alan-Scott-Train-Wreck.jpg

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I love it when good writers can dig into the past and give old characters a new life. I would much rather see that then the heroes dealing with the same villains over and over again. It does take some skill to take a forgotten character and revamp them for the modern age. Those that can do it well can really shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think by crazy you mean super-intelligent. I guess Dr. Occult and Rose Psychic are the oldest original comics characters to be brought back. They also brought back Slam Bradley and Speed Saunders.

Sheldon Mayer brought his Scribbly with him from Dell to re-use him in ALL-AMERICAN COMICS and later his own comic. Then again briefly in SUGAR AND SPIKE. Scribbly then showed up in an issue of SECRET ORIGINS in the 1980s--and, of course, the spin-off character of Red Tornado has been around since then.

Oswald the Rabbit appeared in the very first issue of NEW FUN (February 1935)--where it all began for National Allied, which became D.C. An animator named Walt Disney created Oswald for a series of cartoons in the 1920s which would be released by Universal. Walter Lantz later took over the cartoon series for Universal. After his seven-issue stint in NEW FUN, Dell became the rabbit's comic book publisher, from 1942 until 1962. Oswald appeared in Lantz cartoons up to 1951. After pretty much falling into obscurity, the Disney Corporation wanted to regain control of Oswald the "Lucky" Rabbit and in 2006 they traded Al Michaels for him, regaining the character from NBC Universal. After that Disney has used the rabbit in merchandising and he's potentially going to appear in an upcoming animation project. I suppose, if he appears in comics again it will more likely be in a Marvel comic.
    Well, crazy was a compliment on part. Sometimes intelligence and crazy go hand in hand.

Thanks for break down on older characters.

From the GCD:
    Thanks. That confirms it.

To say nothing of the fact that out of the entire cast, maybe only Sonny Sumo and the Human Flame is 'one appearance in 1972' obscure. The rest of the New Gods and the cast are pretty well established throughout DC Canon.
    Yep. Also gave a huge spot light to some lesser known characters. Some of them like Super Young Team and Tawky Twany whom I haven't heard of before the mini.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Managed to run into him just enough in my formative years to be a bit of a fan. Though he dosn't show up a lot. And I think is dead and has been since... 2012 or so?
    He was killed off in JLD Vol 1. I hated that. But between the multiple Crisis it's possible for him to have come back.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Does Lilith/Omen in the Rebirth Titans run count?
    Given how long she was gone, yeah, she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Is it AC#1000?
    Nope. But I have seen that one before.

He's been shown a few times over the years i know of, but the only other time he got a speaking role was in Superman's post-death experience in Sueprman/Batman #42, where he was called Rick Randomski.
    Named after Eric Randomski who was one of the producers of Batman: The Animated Series?

Didn't the character make an appearance during 'Death of Superman'?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly