Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-Man: Family Business

Marvel just released a trailer for a comic book? Ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdl7_a3_q4

Is this a good read?

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Marvel just released a trailer for a comic book? Ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdl7_a3_q4

Is this a good read?
    I thought it was only okay, but I know of a lot of people who liked it. Also, Marvel has released numerous trailers for comics before.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Haven't read it yet but I am planning on buying it. Sounds like an interesting story though I'm curious as to how they're going to explain the fact he has a sister in it. Also it's Waid and Robinson so I'm looking forward to it for them as well.

I liked it. The art's lovely, and they play fair with the mystery of the sister.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

I thought it was fantastic. Beautiful art, exciting story, perfect characterization and will likely have lasting impacts on the relationship between Spider-Man and one of my favourite villains, Wilson Fisk.

Not to mention that the OGN line is a good idea and we need to support it so Marvel keep bringing them out. Endless War was awful, Family Business was fantastic. I'm waiting on No More Humans to arrive, but I hope it's good too.

I wish this was better than it was. I love the concept of complete OGNs, but this and Avengers: Endless Wartime just weren't very good, unfortunately.

The art was fantastic, but the plot was only decent up until the climax, where it took a nosedive.

Spoilers:
    Teresa Parker wasn't who she thought she was and everything got mind wiped back to the status-quo. I would have welcomed a long-lost sister to Peter. It would have given him and the writers a new family dynamic to play off of, but instead nothing really happened or mattered here.

Kingpin was fantastic though, visually and as a character. I love when he gets to be a globe-trotting James Bond villain so much more than the mafia guy stuck in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    will likely have lasting impacts on the relationship between Spider-Man and one of my favourite villains, Wilson Fisk.
    Im sorry but this just a flat out big fat lie, by the end of the story the entire reset button is conveniently pressed so that there are no consequences for anyone.

And fyi, I knew the "mystery" of the sister when the books was announced nine months before it's release. Hint: Ask yourself if Marvel is going to retcon fifty years of their franchise character being an isolated loner in a graphic novel one off and u have ur answer.

Might as well adapt this for the next movie.

All-New Member

All in all, I thought it was a pretty fun read with good art. I'm generally not a big fan of Gabriele Dell'Otto's work outside of posters and covers but I felt like it worked well enough here. Also, I believe Waid has teased that he wouldn't be surprised if Peter's 'sister' introduced here, appeared later down the road since the story is in continuity. The ending certainly leaves a few possibilities open.

All-New Member

Finally got to read this last night, I enjoyed it. Pretty cool parallel to have this book out the same week as the new movie, where both have scenes about Peter's parents. Of course Peter's sister wasn't going to all of a sudden be a main stay supporting character, but I think the story played it well. Even though I knew Kingpin was pulling the strings, the story keeps you guessing about her. Seems there might be some truth in the lies, going off the ending. I'd love another Spidey OGN.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Read it last night. Thought it was decent, thought the art was ''meh'' personally speaking. The ending definitely leaves it open for his ''sister'' to come back further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by trypp View Post
    All in all, I thought it was a pretty fun read with good art. I'm generally not a big fan of Gabriele Dell'Otto's work outside of posters and covers but I felt like it worked well enough here. Also, I believe Waid has teased that he wouldn't be surprised if Peter's 'sister' introduced here, appeared later down the road since the story is in continuity. The ending certainly leaves a few possibilities open.
    Is it after Superior Spiderman, when Peter gets his body back, or, sometime before Superior? He seems to have been around for at least 3 months from this statement:

"Third month in a row I blanked on paying Con Ed despite a positive cash flow. Even when I have money, I'm moronic with it".

If it's after Superior, it must be after Original Sin?

Myself, I liked the story, and agreed with Dan Slotts forward that this is done by two great story tellers. (Although, not just Waid and Robinson, but Dell'Otto too). I do believe the epilogue that hints that Mary Parker was pregnant with her second child, so I can see, (even if Teresa Durand can't remember), that Peter will invite her to see Aunt May and they meet. It's interesting Teresa has blond hair at the end, when she is auburn through the OGN. Maybe there was a second Parker child, but it might not be Teresa? Then again, it might be Teresa anyway. Maybe the blond hair is from her mother Mary's sister?

The mind wipes at the end were just too cute, and convenient. Yes, Mentallo being present and going haywire could explain something like that, but why did he freak out then, and not just double cross Kingpin a lot earlier and get away? How did Kingpin get a hold of Teresa Durant? Why did Kingpin order his troops to blow up the Parker safe house with Parker in it, if Kingpin wanted to make Parker lead him to the treasure in Egypt? They would have killed Peter and Teresa. Unless I missed something and the Kingpin had been monitoring Parker and Teresa at the safe house while Peter read the map in the screen? Then he wouldn't need them anymore. In any case the whole setup of getting a real bonafide CIA agent and brainwashing her into thinking she is Parker's sister, was such an elaborate plan for the Kingpin, because it assumes Kingpin knew something about Richard and Mary Parker being CIA agents, sending Peter on this nostalgic journey to follow in his parents footsteps.

I will say, the tech in this is from the Iron Man Movieverse, so Marvel have fast forwarded Peters Parents into the 21 st Century, and to us old nerds it's a little off putting considering Petes parents were supposed to only have 1950's tech like phone booths and nothing more.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-23-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Does anybody know when this is set if it is in continuity? Kingpin recalls being sent to a hospital in Tunisia. When did that happen?

And I don't know what device the Kingpin was showing Metallo. Was it an image inducer? Was Mentallo just altering other people's perceptions, because he seems to be doing from long distance?
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-23-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Does anybody know when this is set if it is in continuity? Kingpin recalls being sent to a hospital in Tunisia. When did that happen?
    I vaguely remember Waid stating this takes place after Superior. Considering Kingpin's exiled, and he fled Shadowland after SSM #14, it would make sense. As to whether it's in continuity or not, I guess it's your choice until the staff goes and confirms/denies it.

I very much want Teresa to show up in the main book.

This book rocks. ROCKS. Have I mentioned this book rocks yet? Cause it totally rocks. It does.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I vaguely remember Waid stating this takes place after Superior. Considering Kingpin's exiled, and he fled Shadowland after SSM #14, it would make sense. As to whether it's in continuity or not, I guess it's your choice until the staff goes and confirms/denies it.

I very much want Teresa to show up in the main book.

This book rocks. ROCKS. Have I mentioned this book rocks yet? Cause it totally rocks. It does.
    Thanks. I do recall the Kingpin fleeing Shadowland, but it makes no sense he was captured and interred in a mental institution in Africa.