Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Worse, with the newspaper comics now discontinued, nothing's stopping Slott from finishing that off too. He only spared it from Spider-Verse because it was an ongoing publication.
    I thought he didn't touch it as a tribute to Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That's what I remember.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Stan hadn't died yet though, Spider-Verse/Secret Wars was all in 2015 when Slott spared it. The strip was still running at that point, it couldn't just end because of what was going on in the core books, and Slott wanted the reader to worry about every variant in that story so that's why he included it.

The only hope we have that the strip will be spared again is if it eventually starts publishing new material, it's currently been in reruns for four years.

Stan hadn't died yet though, Spider-Verse/Secret Wars was all in 2015 when Slott spared it. The strip was still running at that point, it couldn't just end because of what was going on in the core books, and Slott wanted the reader to worry about every variant in that story so that's why he included it.

The only hope we have that the strip will be spared again is if it eventually starts publishing new material, it's currently been in reruns for four years.
    Do you think Slott is going to kill the newspaper characters now that Stan is dead?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Do you think Slott is going to kill the newspaper characters now that Stan is dead?
    I hope it isn't the case and that the title 'End of the Spider-Verse' is just hyperbole, but it's hard to envision a title like that meaning any variant is going to be just fine during it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's what I remember.
    Me too. I can't remember exactly which panel or interview it was, but I remember him saying he didn't have the heart to kill Stan's newspaper Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Me too. I can't remember exactly which panel or interview it was, but I remember him saying he didn't have the heart to kill Stan's newspaper Spider-Man.
    No, just the heart to gleefully kill every other version with any possible reader emotional connection other than 616.

Spider-Verse is the most willfully and purposefully mean-spirited piece of media it has ever been my misfortune to experience.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    No, just the heart to gleefully kill every other version with any possible reader emotional connection other than 616.

Spider-Verse is the most willfully and purposefully mean-spirited piece of media it has ever been my misfortune to experience.
    Even the beloved Capcom one.

I'm sure Marvel thought it was funny.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Most definitely. And NWH really made the effort to treat each live action Spidey with care and respect, which worked great. I don't get why its so hard for Marvel to understand that it pays to treat these characters with some reverence. Fans appreciate it.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post

Considering Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite happened and Spider-Man was in it, though . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Most definitely. And NWH really made the effort to treat each live action Spidey with care and respect, which worked great. I don't get why its so hard for Marvel to understand that it pays to treat these characters with some reverence. Fans appreciate it.
    It says that the most disrespected Spidey in that movie, TASM one, still gets his moments and even saves Michelle.

He did make fun of it instead. Disrespectful in other way
    Isn't the only scene Newspaper Spidey show up has Morlun annoyed with how slow time advances in it? 'Cause if that's all it happens, it's mocking Morlun more than anyone else because of how quickly he rage quit lol.

To be fair, the player's reaction to Spidey being one-shotted was kinda funny at least lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Considering Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite happened and Spider-Man was in it, though . . .
    MvC:I acts like the previous games didn't happen, so it's likely another continuity, specially considering the previous games barely had any story to begin with, and hell, that lack of story means that even if he did die there (His "death" could always be him just losing a round), it wasn't permanent.

Plus if you think about continuity in those old games, he "died" in MvC1 (You can tell by the intro and background), still shows up in 2 and 3, so if we take his death as canon to MvC, it didn't last lol.

So yeah, of all of the deaths among the Spider-Men around, MvC Spidey being killed is the most meaningless one (Which's pretty noticeable considering how many Spideys have the wrong reality number), he could even not have had a real death and just lost the round too lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 05-24-2022 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Plus if you think about continuity in those old games, he "died" in MvC1
    Remind me, who has the 'canon' ending of the first game?

Remind me, who has the 'canon' ending of the first game?
    There isn't one, because those games had flimsy excuses as stories, MvC2 had even less of one too since it didn't have character endings, so it didn't reference anything from MvC1, and I doubt character quotes in MvC3 reference MvC1 too (Only reference I'm aware of from old games is Akuma mentioning he was one of Apocalypse's horsemen, that Cyber Akuma nonsense in Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter and all).

The closest thing I would consider to a canon ending would be Captain America's ending, and that's more so because it explains how the hell Marvel and Capcom crossed over (Xavier within Onslaught somehow pulled Capcom characters), but again, there's no conclusive answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    There isn't one, because those games had flimsy excuses as stories, MvC2 had even less of one too since it didn't have character endings, so it didn't reference anything from MvC1, and I doubt character quotes in MvC3 reference MvC1 too (Only reference I'm aware of from old games is Akuma mentioning he was one of Apocalypse's horsemen, that Cyber Akuma nonsense in Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter and all).

The closest thing I would consider to a canon ending would be Captain America's ending, and that's more so because it explains how the hell Marvel and Capcom crossed over (Xavier within Onslaught somehow pulled Capcom characters), but again, there's no conclusive answer.
    And then before that, Marvel Super Heroes by Capcom had Spider-Man's ending be that he went back home to Mary Jane, who informed him that she was pregnant and he was going to be a father. Considering how that ended up in the comics, though . . .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And then before that, Marvel Super Heroes by Capcom had Spider-Man's ending be that he went back home to Mary Jane, who informed him that she was pregnant and he was going to be a father. Considering how that ended up in the comics, though . . .
    Yeah, I always get that ending confused with Marvel V Capcom

Yeah, I always get that ending confused with Marvel V Capcom
    Yeah, with Marvel vs. Capcom, Spider-Man was hobnobbing with some of the Capcom characters in his ending. I particularly recall taking a photo (with an actual camera, would be more of a smartphone selfie these days) with either Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers or Sakura Kasugano from Street Fighter.