Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Spidey in TV! (Your ideal new Spider-Man show)

The title says all, how would you guys handle a new Spider-Man cartoon? (I've posted my thoughts on this in a message board in 4chan and...it got the reaction I expected not gonna lie lol) I wanna wait a bit until posting mine because I wanna hear everyone else's thoughts. Though to give you a hint it would feature Miles as the main character.

spider-man-poster-characters[1].jpg

Extraordinary Member

I'd probably draw entirely from the Lee/Romita run, tbh. Peter just beginning college and making friends with the likes of Harry, Flash, Gwen, and Mary Jane.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

No other Spider-Characters for maybe 3-4 seasons.

Extraordinary Member

An animated series with each season covering a year of Peter's life. With a serious tone to it.

Astonishing Member

Starting all over again.... I think I pass.

I would prefer the stories from a past show to continue over a new series.

1º) 90s animated series: This would be my top choice. I want the story to complete the rescue of Mary Jane Watson, to see what Miles Warren would create in the main reality (possibly Kaine or Spidercide) and possibly the birth of Mayday.

2º) "Ultimate Spider-Man": I'm sorry for those who don't, but I liked this series pretty much. My main interest to continue the series would be to se emore of Mary Jane's evolution as "Spider-Woman", as the last episodes didn't left her much time to shine. Ater that, maybe the Avengers' Secret Wars but from Spider-Man's perspective.

3º) Marvel's Spider-Man: Not that calls my attention too much, but I would have liked to see how this series continues. It personally calls my attention what they would have done with the Black Cat here, to see if she could end up having a crush on Spidey even after defeating her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    An animated series with each season covering a year of Peter's life. With a serious tone to it.
    Same. I think an animated show that's as mature as the comics or the movies would appeal to younger kids as well.

I'd also like to have a big bad, or overarching arc for each year. This may lead to a different approach of working backwards to figure out what works when (IE- when is the best time to do the alien costume saga? How does Norman Osborn's story fit in with plans for Harry Osborn, or Hobgoblin?)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Starting all over again.... I think I pass.

I would prefer the stories from a past show to continue over a new series.

1º) 90s animated series: This would be my top choice. I want the story to complete the rescue of Mary Jane Watson, to see what Miles Warren would create in the main reality (possibly Kaine or Spidercide) and possibly the birth of Mayday.

2º) "Ultimate Spider-Man": I'm sorry for those who don't, but I liked this series pretty much. My main interest to continue the series would be to se emore of Mary Jane's evolution as "Spider-Woman", as the last episodes didn't left her much time to shine. Ater that, maybe the Avengers' Secret Wars but from Spider-Man's perspective.

3º) Marvel's Spider-Man: Not that calls my attention too much, but I would have liked to see how this series continues. It personally calls my attention what they would have done with the Black Cat here, to see if she could end up having a crush on Spidey even after defeating her.
    I would love to see more of the 90s animated series, or Spectacular Spider-Man.

It pisses me off that they didn't do the follow-up to the 90s series while Ed Asner was alive.

He would've done it! There was an earlier thread about this.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...pider-Man-TAS)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

I'd love to see a continuation/update of the original '60s series. Or the original Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends show.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Same. I think an animated show that's as mature as the comics or the movies would appeal to younger kids as well.

I'd also like to have a big bad, or overarching arc for each year. This may lead to a different approach of working backwards to figure out what works when (IE- when is the best time to do the alien costume saga? How does Norman Osborn's story fit in with plans for Harry Osborn, or Hobgoblin?)
    So basically Spectacular: Rebirth .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically Spectacular: Rebirth .
    I mean, it worked.

Technically, Spectacular Spider-Man had a semester approach.

Though I'd make up for it with 26 episodes in a typical season (the first might be a bit shorter, both to allow it to premiere mid-season and because Peter Parker won't be Spider-Man for the entire year.

The purist in me would likely to see relatively straightforward adaptations of classic comics, which is a bit different from the route Spectacular Spider-Man took.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'll give credit to Perch from Youtube channel Comics by Perch for this idea. Because I thought it was a great idea.

Take the McFarlane Spider-man run and animate it. Start with issue 1 and go to the end. Just like with Anime. Every episode being an issue.

It is a fairly solid run in the beginning. Lizard, Sinister Six, Thanos, X-Force and Juggernaut.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I'd probably focus on an alternate spider like Noir, 2099, Charles Parker etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I mean, it worked.

Technically, Spectacular Spider-Man had a semester approach.

Though I'd make up for it with 26 episodes in a typical season (the first might be a bit shorter, both to allow it to premiere mid-season and because Peter Parker won't be Spider-Man for the entire year.

The purist in me would likely to see relatively straightforward adaptations of classic comics, which is a bit different from the route Spectacular Spider-Man took.
    Pretty much a Young Justice level of seriousness to it...and formatted like a comic series so that there is not one villain with a bunch of henchmen over the whole season or series. 2-4 episode arcs with the occasional one off for the hero to have some down time and show a real life outside the costume.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No other Spider-Characters for maybe 3-4 seasons.
    Seconded, this is a must, IMO, after the last two series. Peter needs to be unique for a while. Heck, other than MJ maybe becoming Spinneret in Season 3, I'd have all other "Spiders" take a powder for this one. Pete needs to shine.

Oh, and no quickly reformed Venom. His atonement needs to take 2 seasons (once he is introduced), or a bit longer.

Oh, and definitely no high school full of superheroes, super geniuses, or both. Pete's civilian life needs to be normal so his struggles are more grounded and thus relatable which has always been at the core of the character. The last two series jettisoned "the every person or man" vibe in favor of making Spidey a junior Avenger team captain, big mistake.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-06-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Don’t start all over again. Make a show where Spidey is his prime, has a job, has well established relationships with the cast, and create stories from there. I know it’s easier to create conflict when starting Peter over in highschool at the beginning of his career again, but it would be nice for the next Spider-Man show to have Spidey as a well-established hero. I feel Batman gets treated much better this way, adaptions don’t always start at the beginning of his career, while Spidey almost always does. Flashbacks are fine, but I want to see a Spidey more akin to 616. I’m more worried that we might not be getting any animated Marvel content not tied to the MCU for a while. It’s kinda homogenizing everything and the writers don’t get as much creative leeway. I still look forward to Spider-Man: Freshman Year, but I’m getting sick of how almost every Spidey story has to start at the beginning for the past decade (apart from rare exceptions like Insomniac and ITSV).