View Poll Results: Which are the best female-led superhero movies?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

10 13.51%
  • Atomic Blonde (2017)

9 12.16%
  • Barb Wire (1996)

4 5.41%
  • Birds of Prey (2020)

4 5.41%
  • Black Widow (2021)

17 22.97%
  • Captain Marvel (2019)

12 16.22%
  • Catwoman (2004)

2 2.70%
  • Elektra (2005)

1 1.35%
  • Ghost in the Shell (2017)

4 5.41%
  • Red Sonja (1985)

2 2.70%
  • Sheena (1984)

2 2.70%
  • Supergirl (1984)

4 5.41%
  • Tank Girl (1995)

3 4.05%
  • Wonder Woman (2017)

51 68.92%
  • Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

3 4.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can see why fans of the comic book were disappointed with BIRDS OF PREY. But Warner did try to let you know through the trailers and the change in the title that this wasn't going to be the comic book movie you wanted. Of course, some people try to avoid spoilers, so I can imagine there were those who went into the theatre expecting one thing and got a bait and switch.

I try to set aside any expectations when I go into a movie. Still, what I saw in the advance publicity made me think it was going to be a train wreck. So maybe that's why I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so bad as I had been led to believe.

For me it's all about the egg sandwich. That's what got me hooked into the plot and seeing how that quest played out was enough to satisfy me. I'm ruled by my stomach.
    Clearly for Harley as well. It's not a good sign when the lead character's most emotional scene involves a sandwich. Even then, the sandwich hadn't been built up enough for the audience to connect to it. (in terms of its metaphorical meaning) I don't think the movie was terrible, it just fell flat to me - a lot of wasted potential. (and characters - I mean, I loved their version of Huntress, but there wasn't enough of her)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Clearly for Harley as well. It's not a good sign when the lead character's most emotional scene involves a sandwich. Even then, the sandwich hadn't been built up enough for the audience to connect to it. (in terms of its metaphorical meaning) I don't think the movie was terrible, it just fell flat to me - a lot of wasted potential. (and characters - I mean, I loved their version of Huntress, but there wasn't enough of her)
    Even if so, it was still a better love story than Twilight.

(Personally, I took the sandwich to be part of a joke. The point of the scene is Harley realizing that her protection is gone and there are scores of people who would be happy to kill her, but she's more concerned about getting to eat her sandwich in peace than in the long-term implications of this turn of events.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Birds of Prey" was a movie about a comically ultra-violent, smart-alec, canonically queer anti-hero who started out as a villain wherein they lose the love of their life, spiral into depression, bust up a government facility then form a ragtag team to save a troubled teen from losing their way and making real human connections along the way to discovering the hero within. It was great! .... when it was called "Deadpool 2."
    It would have worked better if they had just called it a Gotham City Sirens movie and used Poison Ivy and Catwoman. But I heard they didn't want to upstage Robbie's Harley Quinn. ::rollseyes::

I can see why fans of the comic book were disappointed with BIRDS OF PREY. But Warner did try to let you know through the trailers and the change in the title that this wasn't going to be the comic book movie you wanted. Of course, some people try to avoid spoilers, so I can imagine there were those who went into the theatre expecting one thing and got a bait and switch.

I try to set aside any expectations when I go into a movie. Still, what I saw in the advance publicity made me think it was going to be a train wreck. So maybe that's why I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so bad as I had been led to believe.

For me it's all about the egg sandwich. That's what got me hooked into the plot and seeing how that quest played out was enough to satisfy me. I'm ruled by my stomach.
    I keep up spoilers and trailers. I knew what we were getting and knew enough that it was a pass for me.

In my case, the comparison would be that I wanted a Spagetti Bolognese. I already indicated that I wanted a Spagetti Bolognese but the establishment only makes Spagettic Cabonara. They're not going to give me Bolognese they want me to pay for the Cabonara instead. So I decide to skip the place and go for a meal elsewhere.
    I want the Bolognese, dammit.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In my case, the comparison would be that I wanted a Spagetti Bolognese. I already indicated that I wanted a Spagetti Bolognese but the establishment only makes Spagetti Cabonara. They're not going to give me Bolognese they want me to pay for the Cabonara instead. So I decide to skip the place and go for a meal elsewhere.
    I want the Bolognese, dammit.
    Up until your post, I didn't know these were two different things. The characters on CORONATION STREET are always saying they're going to have a "spag bol" for their tea and I wonder what are they on about--can't they just say "spaghetti."

When I was growing up, my parents always got the spaghetti in the can for supper. Until when they had a little more scratch, then they switched to Chef Boyardi spaghetti in the box.

I never buy spaghetti noodles at the supermarket, as I prefer linguine noodles. Since I just whip up stuff on my own without using a cookbook, whatever I make is my own invention and I have no idea of what's a Bolognese or a Cabonara.

I love Alita and Captain Marvel, don't really care for the rest.
    Wonder Woman 1984 is fun, and the score helps with the feel of the movie.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

Wow! I was just reminded that I have yet to see Black Widow. I loved Wonder Woman, but I'll probably wait to watch the hugely dissed sequel on TV.

Supergirl had so much potential, but somewhere along the line the producers of the Superman franchise lost their way and tried to inject lame humor over story and action. Superman III, IV and Supergirl all suffered under their hands, but it's still a treat to see Helen Slater portraying Supergirl.

Captain Marvel was okay. I would have preferred her origin to be closer to that of comics, but Marvel wanted the character to be her own thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    97% of the time it's Steve Trevor crashing on Paradise Island and spurring Diana to head to Man's World. Actually the movie and Greg Rucka's Rebirth run helped bring the relationship with Steve, and Steve in general, back to prominence after years of not being relevant or being relegated to discount Nick Fury.

I feel like the sex jokes and mansplaining came more at Steve's expense when Diana educated him on the Amazons or just went her own way, from what I remember.

I think the thing is that those other relationships would've been with the Amazons and you can't really have them involved in the movies plot after the origin. Granted, I would have loved to have seen them do more with Etta.
    The Steve Trevor aspects of Wonder Woman were amazing, IMHO. He never was the focus, but he was instrumental in showing Diana's character. I do think the weakest part of Wonder Woman was the much criticized CGI fight. I mean -- Ares and Steppenwolf in JLA may as well have been the same (lame) characters. They really pissed all over Kirby's Fourth World.

It's a pretty good film in its own right. The marketing didn't really land and it kind of vanished. You could argue they should have called it something else, called the characters something else or whatever - but then even the best-selling comics only sell in the tens of thousands, so why would they bother?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It's a pretty good film in its own right. The marketing didn't really land and it kind of vanished. You could argue they should have called it something else, called the characters something else or whatever - but then even the best-selling comics only sell in the tens of thousands, so why would they bother?
    I think Warner actually got lucky with BIRDS OF PREY AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN. The movie may not have made a huge amount at the box office but it came out ahead of when all theatres shut down, so it actually made more money than it would have if it had come out just a few weeks later. And having had a theatrical release, they could then put it on streaming where it would make money directly for Warner (but how much we will never know). Its release date put it in a better position than WONDER WOMAN 1984.

It didn't just vanish--it remained available for months on streaming. And probably a lot more people got to see it that way. It wasn't one of their greatest successes (only a few Warner super-hero movies have been) but it wasn't an unmitigated failure either. Like a lot of Warner comic book movies it falls somewhere in the middle, between these extremes.

Should EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE be on this list? It isn't based on a comic book, but Michelle's Yeoh's character is certainly a super-hero in the movie. And it's a movie that has gotten a lot of love from those that have seen it.

Should EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE be on this list? It isn't based on a comic book, but Michelle's Yeoh's character is certainly a super-hero in the movie.
    From the OP:
    Only characters adapted from comic books or manga are considered.

Birds of Prey deserved more votes imo. But then again this is a comic book forum so I guess it was to be expected that it wasn't to the liking of most people here given how little it had to do with the source material.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Birds of Prey deserved more votes imo. But then again this is a comic book forum so I guess it was to be expected that it wasn't to the liking of most people here given how little it had to do with the source material.
    Nope. That didn't bother me at all as a comics fan. My problem was that the writing failed to make me care about any of the characters aside from Huntress, and she was barely in it. I really like Robbie as Harley, but her charisma couldn't carry the movie for me or make me care about Harley's struggles.