View Poll Results: Which are the best female-led superhero movies?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

10 13.51%
  • Atomic Blonde (2017)

9 12.16%
  • Barb Wire (1996)

4 5.41%
  • Birds of Prey (2020)

4 5.41%
  • Black Widow (2021)

17 22.97%
  • Captain Marvel (2019)

12 16.22%
  • Catwoman (2004)

2 2.70%
  • Elektra (2005)

1 1.35%
  • Ghost in the Shell (2017)

4 5.41%
  • Red Sonja (1985)

2 2.70%
  • Sheena (1984)

2 2.70%
  • Supergirl (1984)

4 5.41%
  • Tank Girl (1995)

3 4.05%
  • Wonder Woman (2017)

51 68.92%
  • Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

3 4.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

None unless Ghost in the shell 1995 anime counts

Retired

I think it's really stretching it to say some of those are super-hero movies. Female led comic book movies, sure, but I hate seeing other genres all being reduced to the super-hero category. However, I've only seen two or three, possibly four, of these movies so I don't have an informed opinion.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec is based on a comic book. But not, of course, a super hero.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Hm did ppl actually like black widow?
    That's puzzling to me as well since I was never for ScarJo playing BW.

Alita is my favourite. Then Wonder Woman, then Black Widow.

I voted for Captain Marvel and WW84. While I liked the first WW, I think it was playing it too safe, as if they were doing their best to not accidentally insult any men watching it, to the detriment of the movie. The second one was better and if it didn't include the scene with questionable consent, I would consider it my favorite female-led movie.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm confused as to why ghost in the shell is on there. That is not a superhero franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think it's really stretching it to say some of those are super-hero movies. Female led comic book movies, sure, but I hate seeing other genres all being reduced to the super-hero category. However, I've only seen two or three, possibly four, of these movies so I don't have an informed opinion.
    You are right, I did stretch the term. The problem is, if I were calling it female-led comic book movies I would have had to include movies like Ghost World or Blue Is The Warmest Colour, but those are not the types of movies I wanted to make a poll about. I could have come up with female-led action movies based on a comic book or manga but honestly I didn't think the phrasing would bother anyone.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    While I liked the first WW, I think it was playing it too safe, as if they were doing their best to not accidentally insult any men watching it, to the detriment of the movie.
    Exactly my thoughts. It really bugged me that they gave Steve Trevor that much focus. In male superhero movies the female love interests rarely get that much agency as he did.

As if they were thinking, yeah we're making the overdue big budget female hero blockbuster but let's still give a man plenty of screentime, otherwise male moviegoers might not want to see the movie.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I do.

Also voted for Captain Marvel (really underrated), Birds of Prey and the original Wonder Woman. Liked WW84 better than most people, it seems, but do think it was weaker than the original.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Voted for Wonder Woman. Didn't realize you could vote for more than one though.

If I was to rank these movies from best to worst, my list would go like this:
    - Wonder Woman
    - Black Widow
    - Captain Marvel
    - Wonder Woman 1984
    - Atomic Blonde
    - Alita: Battle Angel
    - Tank Girl
    - Birds of Prey
    - Red Sonja
    - Ghost in the Shell
    - Elektra
    - Barb Wire
    - Sheena
    - Catwoman

Yeah I'm surprised it has so many votes.

Probably the worst Marvel movie I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. It really bugged me that they gave Steve Trevor that much focus. In male superhero movies the female love interests rarely get that much agency as he did.

As if they were thinking, yeah we're making the overdue big budget female hero blockbuster but let's still give a man plenty of screentime, otherwise male moviegoers might not want to see the movie.
    This says more about those movies than it does about Wonder Woman. It's not Patty Jenkins' fault that make led superhero movies don't treat their female love interests like characters.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I voted for Captain Marvel and WW84. While I liked the first WW, I think it was playing it too safe, as if they were doing their best to not accidentally insult any men watching it, to the detriment of the movie. The second one was better and if it didn't include the scene with questionable consent, I would consider it my favorite female-led movie.
    I don't think it ruined the movie over all, but I definitely think that's what was going on...they totally skirted the idea that the amazons separated themselves because they wanted to avoid "man's world". And underplayed that the whole point of the character is female empowerment.
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-14-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post

I don't know if you've seen it, but the 2009 animated WW movie is even worse in this regard. It's full of Steve Trevor looking cool and "mansplaining"...there's even a point where he says, "Hey, we don't pull out chairs and open doors for you because we want to oppress you!" Gah!

Invincible Member

I did but a recognize that there's a lot a flaws with the plot. Having said that, it's interesting that the parts that people like the most are the things that the actors and others re-wrote after the movie went into production.