View Poll Results: Which are the best female-led superhero movies?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

10 13.51%
  • Atomic Blonde (2017)

9 12.16%
  • Barb Wire (1996)

4 5.41%
  • Birds of Prey (2020)

4 5.41%
  • Black Widow (2021)

17 22.97%
  • Captain Marvel (2019)

12 16.22%
  • Catwoman (2004)

2 2.70%
  • Elektra (2005)

1 1.35%
  • Ghost in the Shell (2017)

4 5.41%
  • Red Sonja (1985)

2 2.70%
  • Sheena (1984)

2 2.70%
  • Supergirl (1984)

4 5.41%
  • Tank Girl (1995)

3 4.05%
  • Wonder Woman (2017)

51 68.92%
  • Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

3 4.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Yeah I'm surprised it has so many votes.

Probably the worst Marvel movie I've seen.
    How so?

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    It really bugged me that they gave Steve Trevor that much focus. In male superhero movies the female love interests rarely get that much agency as he did.
    I haven't timed it out, but I'm guessing that Diana has the most screen time (especially if you include the younger actresses playing her character). In Batman movies, it often seems like the villains get more scenes than Bruce.

I'd argue that if they gave Steve Trevor less development, we'd end up with the age-old complaint about Steve that he's two-dimensional and doesn't really deserve to be by Diana's side. The movie does a nice job of showing why Steve rates as a worthy companion for Wonder Woman, so we don't dismiss him out of hand. Other movies could do a better job of establishing the love interests for their super-heroes.

Also it's good to surround the beautiful looking super-hero actors with other actors who are trained in the job of acting. Connie Nielsen, Robin Wright and Chris Pine helped Gal Gadot to turn in a better performance.

However, I would have liked a fuller supporting cast of characters, with a couple more female companions, besides just Etta who didn't even get to go away with the team into the theatre of war.

Astonishing Member

I remember watching WW in theatres and thought it was a fantastic movie. When I re-watched it at home I wasn't that impressed as I was with an audience. Found it boring and lacked action. I would put CM, BW, and Alita over WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This says more about those movies than it does about Wonder Woman. It's not Patty Jenkins' fault that make led superhero movies don't treat their female love interests like characters.
    I was going to say...Diana and Steve's romance/relationship was kind of the heart of the movie and would not have worked near as well if Steve wasn't a three-dimensional character in his own right alongside Diana.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think it ruined the movie over all, but I definitely think that's what was going on...they totally skirted the idea that the amazons separated themselves because they wanted to avoid "man's world". And underplayed that the whole point of the character is female empowerment.
    I think that came back around when Ares showed up and basically destroyed Diana's idealized conception of what she was trying to accomplish or why Man's World was at war to begin with.

The No Man's Land scene was a perfect moment of female empowerment in my opinion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I remember watching WW in theatres and thought it was a fantastic movie. When I re-watched it at home I wasn't that impressed as I was with an audience. Found it boring and lacked action. I would put CM, BW, and Alita over WW.
    Wonder Woman was like Black Panther, 67% great movie, 33% terrible CGI crap fight at the end. CGI Ares was just bad, and I felt like resolving her big ending by shooting the bad-guy with her daddy's magic lightning didn't really do *her* or her ideals any favors.

But all the stuff on Themiscrya, and the No Man's Land section were all amazing.

I don't think it ruined the movie over all, but I definitely think that's what was going on...they totally skirted the idea that the amazons separated themselves because they wanted to avoid "man's world". And underplayed that the whole point of the character is female empowerment.
    The movie had a scene where Diana states outright that the Amazons don't need men for anything besides procreation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Wonder Woman was like Black Panther, 67% great movie, 33% terrible CGI crap fight at the end. CGI Ares was just bad, and I felt like resolving her big ending by shooting the bad-guy with her daddy's magic lightning didn't really do *her* or her ideals any favors.

But all the stuff on Themiscrya, and the No Man's Land section were all amazing.
    I feel like at least from an ideals perspective her fight with Ares ended with her renewing her ideals and willingness to keep fighting for them against Ares, but I liked that fight more than most.

It was definitely a lot better (to me) than the joke that was Carol versus Starforce or the lack of a really major final fight in Black Widow (Taskmaster was really wasted).

I really question having the Catwoman film up there. Other than the title, it literally has NOTHING to do with Selina Kyle/Comic Book Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I really question having the Catwoman film up there. Other than the title, it literally has NOTHING to do with Selina Kyle/Comic Book Catwoman.
    It's still a movie about a masked woman with superpowers (mostly) fighting crime. It just isn't accurate to the sourcd material.

Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Sheena.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was going to say...Diana and Steve's romance/relationship was kind of the heart of the movie and would not have worked near as well if Steve wasn't a three-dimensional character in his own right alongside Diana.

I think that came back around when Ares showed up and basically destroyed Diana's idealized conception of what she was trying to accomplish or why Man's World was at war to begin with.

The No Man's Land scene was a perfect moment of female empowerment in my opinion.
    The No Man's Land scene I think was most people's favorite part and ironically Jenkin's had to fight to keep it in.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The movie had a scene where Diana states outright that the Amazons don't need men for anything besides procreation.
    Yes, but compared to say the 80's George Perez origin or even the 70's Linda Carter pilot, all the "man's world" thing was really underplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't timed it out, but I'm guessing that Diana has the most screen time (especially if you include the younger actresses playing her character). In Batman movies, it often seems like the villains get more scenes than Bruce.

I'd argue that if they gave Steve Trevor less development, we'd end up with the age-old complaint about Steve that he's two-dimensional and doesn't really deserve to be by Diana's side. The movie does a nice job of showing why Steve rates as a worthy companion for Wonder Woman, so we don't dismiss him out of hand. Other movies could do a better job of establishing the love interests for their super-heroes.

Also it's good to surround the beautiful looking super-hero actors with other actors who are trained in the job of acting. Connie Nielsen, Robin Wright and Chris Pine helped Gal Gadot to turn in a better performance.

However, I would have liked a fuller supporting cast of characters, with a couple more female companions, besides just Etta who didn't even get to go away with the team into the theatre of war.
    I liked the movie, but it almost felt like a buddy action movie with two protagonists. I'm not saying that the love interest shouldn't have enough development, but when you have basically the first big budget female-led superhero movie, I expect the focus to be more on the main character. Even in that great No man's land scene, she needed help from the soldiers, which is something that I saw a lot of comments on, saying stuff like "Yeah, this is how it should be, men and women working together, not insisting that women are better and can do everything alone". Guess I missed all of those moments in male-led superhero movies. Plus, Steve had probably the biggest hero moment of the movie at the end. Not to mention all of those situations when Diana had to have things about our world explained to her. It simply felt like the writers were trying was too hard to avoid making her too competent.

If I contrast it with Captain Marvel, that definitely wins it for me in terms of portraying the main character. She still has flaws and is vulnerable, but doesn't play a second fiddle to anyone. I love the scene at the end when Jude Law's character tries the usual trick of talking her down and she's having none of that and simply says "I have nothing to prove to you".
    Plus, she's finally a female character with sensible costume that is not designed to be sexualized (yes, I know that WW's costume makes sense in the context of her culture, but still).
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I liked the movie, but it almost felt like a buddy action movie with two protagonists
    The dynamic between those two characters is precisely what make this movie good in my opinion.

Plus, it just makes sense for her to have some kind of mentor introducing her to that big world she knows nothing about.

Yes, but compared to say the 80's George Perez origin or even the 70's Linda Carter pilot, all the "man's world" thing was really underplayed.
    I think it helped that it was a little more subtle about it, but it was also more of a romance than Perez's WW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I liked the movie, but it almost felt like a buddy action movie with two protagonists. I'm not saying that the love interest shouldn't have enough development, but when you have basically the first big budget female-led superhero movie, I expect the focus to be more on the main character. Even in that great No man's land scene, she needed help from the soldiers, which is something that I saw a lot of comments on, saying stuff like "Yeah, this is how it should be, men and women working together, not insisting that women are better and can do everything alone". Guess I missed all of those moments in male-led superhero movies. Plus, Steve had probably the biggest hero moment of the movie at the end. Not to mention all of those situations when Diana had to have things about our world explained to her. It simply felt like the writers were trying was too hard to avoid making her too competent.
    I mean, even if the soldiers helped I think it was clear Diana was far more physically capable and powerful than them and, rather than it being men, I think it was to show the power of actual humans and their ingenuity in contrast to a Godlike Superheroine, but I think Diana was definitively the main character in the film. And she was the one who brought the themes of the movie together after Steve's sacrifice to stop Ares.
    If I contrast it with Captain Marvel, that definitely wins it for me in terms of portraying the main character. She still has flaws and is vulnerable, but doesn't play a second fiddle to anyone. I love the scene at the end when Jude Law's character tries the usual trick of talking her down and she's having none of that and simply says "I have nothing to prove to you".

Plus, she's finally a female character with sensible costume that is not designed to be sexualized (yes, I know that WW's costume makes sense in the context of her culture, but still).
    I think the problem with CM is that Carol's personality comes across as undefined and inconsistent because of her amnesia issues and the flashbacks so that we don't really get her character fully-formed until the very end of the movie. She didn't even really have a character arc, it was more just unlocking her powers and her memories and then flying off on her merry way. I feel like she was much less a realized character than Diana was in her movie.

I don't even think Diana's movie costume is that sexualized even if it's not covering her entire body.