View Poll Results: Which are the best female-led superhero movies?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

10 13.51%
  • Atomic Blonde (2017)

9 12.16%
  • Barb Wire (1996)

4 5.41%
  • Birds of Prey (2020)

4 5.41%
  • Black Widow (2021)

17 22.97%
  • Captain Marvel (2019)

12 16.22%
  • Catwoman (2004)

2 2.70%
  • Elektra (2005)

1 1.35%
  • Ghost in the Shell (2017)

4 5.41%
  • Red Sonja (1985)

2 2.70%
  • Sheena (1984)

2 2.70%
  • Supergirl (1984)

4 5.41%
  • Tank Girl (1995)

3 4.05%
  • Wonder Woman (2017)

51 68.92%
  • Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

3 4.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Urge View Post
    I thought this was gonna be an easy win for Atomic Blonde in the votes, I guess i was wrong. But i vote for it.
    I mean it was not some big blockbuster with a lot of advertising like some other movies on here. I agree with you though. That movie was good and Charlize Theron was perfect for the role.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm a bigger Marvel fan and love Black Widow.
    However, I don't see how a vote for anything other than Wonder Woman holds up.

Looking at the votes it appears that is true for an over whelming number of votes cast.
    The race is for second place.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    However, I don't see how a vote for anything other than Wonder Woman holds up.
    Oh one could reasonably argue that some of the others may be better movies by comparing the acting, directing, and cinematography. I'm convinced that "first time" bias is a thing though. Otherwise I'd find it hard to grasp why a pretty generic origin movie gets such high praise and how its flaws like forgettable villains and a bad CGI finale rarely get mentioned, despite these things being common points of criticism when other movies are concerned. For another example for a pretty generic superhero movie that gets overblown praise one has to look no further than Shang-Chi (that one doesn't have a forgettable villain but enough other problems), a film that also happens to be a first timer. What a funny coincidence, or maybe not.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Retired

Like I've said, I don't really have an informed opiinon on most of these movies, so I haven't voted on the poll.

I saw WONDER WOMAN in the theatre nine times. And then I bought my own copy of the movie and have watched that three times so far. I saw BIRDS OF PREY once in the theatre and then again on streaming. I've seen WONDER WOMAN 1984 twice on streaming. I don't know if I ever watched all of SUPERGIRL. I've watched some scenes but probably not the whole movie. I might have watched the whole of RED SONJA, but I have no memory of it. I did watch both Conan movies with Schwarzenegger, so I might have seen RED SONJA around the same time, but it hasn't stuck with me.

I have no real knowledge of any of these other movies. I might have seen clips from some of them, but never watched any of them in their entirety. I have watched all of GREEN MANSIONS though (and read the book).

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Hm did ppl actually like black widow?
    I liked it. It's not a favorite or anything, but it was entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I liked it. It's not a favorite or anything, but it was entertaining.
    I didn't hate it it just wasn't what a black widow movie needs to be

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I didn't hate it it just wasn't what a black widow movie needs to be
    I'm curious, who decides what a Black Widow movie needs to be?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Oh one could reasonably argue that some of the others may be better movies by comparing the acting, directing, and cinematography. I'm convinced that "first time" bias is a thing though. Otherwise I'd find it hard to grasp why a pretty generic origin movie gets such high praise and how its flaws like forgettable villains and a bad CGI finale rarely get mentioned, despite these things being common points of criticism when other movies are concerned. For another example for a pretty generic superhero movie that gets overblown praise one has to look no further than Shang-Chi (that one doesn't have a forgettable villain but enough other problems), a film that also happens to be a first timer. What a funny coincidence, or maybe not.
    I don't disagree the finale was middling. That isn't uncommon. However, for me at least, the notion of first time bias isn't at play. I'd think likely not for many here. Wonder Woman had a lot in common with Captain America First Avenger and I recall that movie getting heavily slammed at the time.
    Let us look at the list and I'll take Ghost in the Shell as an example. I have never read Manga. Didn't know a single thing about the story but I like action films and SJ.
    I liked that movie and would've watched a sequel but apparently too many didn't like it for its adaption, casting or other so too bad.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Like I've said, I don't really have an informed opiinon on most of these movies, so I haven't voted on the poll.

I saw WONDER WOMAN in the theatre nine times. And then I bought my own copy of the movie and have watched that three times so far. I saw BIRDS OF PREY once in the theatre and then again on streaming. I've seen WONDER WOMAN 1984 twice on streaming. I don't know if I ever watched all of SUPERGIRL. I've watched some scenes but probably not the whole movie. I might have watched the whole of RED SONJA, but I have no memory of it. I did watch both Conan movies with Schwarzenegger, so I might have seen RED SONJA around the same time, but it hasn't stuck with me.

I have no real knowledge of any of these other movies. I might have seen clips from some of them, but never watched any of them in their entirety. I have watched all of GREEN MANSIONS though (and read the book).
    I've only seen WW twice, once in the theater and once on streaming but i chose it as the best one. Frankly, I thought the way who the main villain was going to be being misdirected and who it really was to be quite good. The movie also gave a wonderful (pardon the pun) feeling of combining hope and bleakness.

I started watching Birds of Prey on streaming and did something I rarely have done with a movie, especially a superhero movie. After an hour, I just said "Enough" and gave up. Sorry, I like Harley Quinn but I wanted to see a Birds of Prey movie, not a Harley Quinn movie with the rest kind of sort of there.

The only thing good about Supergirl was Helen Slater. Red Sonja was just plain bad. Many of the movies on the list seem just thrown in like Catwoman.

Interestingly, WW had the disadvantage of being associated with Batman vs Superman and the character herself emerged as almost the only good thing about that movie in many people's opinions. So, whether that was a plus or a minus going into her own movie is debatable.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I don't disagree the finale was middling. That isn't uncommon. However, for me at least, the notion of first time bias isn't at play. I'd think likely not for many here. Wonder Woman had a lot in common with Captain America First Avenger and I recall that movie getting heavily slammed at the time.
    Let us look at the list and I'll take Ghost in the Shell as an example. I have never read Manga. Didn't know a single thing about the story but I like action films and SJ.
    I liked that movie and would've watched a sequel but apparently too many didn't like it for its adaption, casting or other so too bad.
    Maybe it wasn't clear what I meant with first time bias, because your examples don't really fit. The First Avenger wasn't a first time for anything, there had been plenty superhero movies with white male leads before, there even had been Captain America movies before. Wonder Woman was the first big budget superhero movie with a female lead and some people may have judged it differently because of it. Maybe they were that surprised that female-led superhero movies don't necessarily suck because they compared it to Catwoman and Elektra and therefore got carried away. Maybe they feared that a failure of Wonder Woman would have reinforced the industry notion that female-led superhero movies can't be successful, thus leading to Hollywood studios not greenlighting other female-led movies in the future, since that is what happened after the failures of Catwoman and Elektra. Therefore they wanted this movie so hard to be great that it became something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

For me the high praise and the movie's actual quality don't really add up. In terms of quality Wonder Woman is closer to The First Avenger than to The Winter Soldier but the reception leads one to believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Maybe it wasn't clear what I meant with first time bias, because your examples don't really fit. The First Avenger wasn't a first time for anything, there had been plenty superhero movies with white male leads before, there even had been Captain America movies before. Wonder Woman was the first big budget superhero movie with a female lead and some people may have judged it differently because of it. Maybe they were that surprised that female-led superhero movies don't necessarily suck because they compared it to Catwoman and Elektra and therefore got carried away. Maybe they feared that a failure of Wonder Woman would have reinforced the industry notion that female-led superhero movies can't be successful, thus leading to Hollywood studios not greenlighting other female-led movies in the future, since that is what happened after the failures of Catwoman and Elektra. Therefore they wanted this movie so hard to be great that it became something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

For me the high praise and the movie's actual quality don't really add up. In terms of quality Wonder Woman is closer to The First Avenger than to The Winter Soldier but the reception leads one to believe otherwise.
    Or maybe they liked it just fine in spite of whatever flaws it had and your opinion, while valid from your perspective, is simply the minority.

Wonder Woman was one of the three films I voted for. It brings an iconic character to life in a colourful, epic adventure that has a lot of heart and humour, and some memorable set-pieces. Yes, the finale was the weakest part of the film, but it still worked. It's a film that oozes quality, and the idea that people are lying to themselves when they praise it is rather fanciful, imo.

Objectively in terms of what it accomplishes I think it's the best. That doesn't mean it's my favourite - out of my three picks (Alita: Battle Angel, Black Widow, and Wonder Woman), Alita is my favourite, and I've watched it more times than the other two combined. It wastes talented actors - Alita and Doc Ido are the only characters who really register - but it looks great, and I love the action set-pieces, and I just find it really re-watchable, despite its flaws.

Wow, slim pickings.

Black Widow and CM were strictly okay. Nothing really mind blowing. Nat deserved a whole trilogy and not a solo movie set after death that acts as a send off and to set up a new character.

Wasn't a fan of WW and WW84. I think Patty gets the character and what she represents but the execution is....eeehh. Gal can barely act and looks a cosplayer in the suit. WW fans are so desperate for content that DC could have released a 30 minute sock puppet adaptation of 'Gods & Mortals' and fans would have lapped it up as the greatest thing on the planet.

Haven't seen the rest. Nothing about 'Birds of Prey' movie resembled anything that got me interested in the comic book in the first place so I chose to skip it.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Haven't seen the rest. Nothing about 'Birds of Prey' movie resembled anything that got me interested in the comic book in the first place so I chose to skip it.
    "Birds of Prey" was a movie about a comically ultra-violent, smart-alec, canonically queer anti-hero who started out as a villain wherein they lose the love of their life, spiral into depression, bust up a government facility then form a ragtag team to save a troubled teen from losing their way and making real human connections along the way to discovering the hero within. It was great! .... when it was called "Deadpool 2."

Retired

I can see why fans of the comic book were disappointed with BIRDS OF PREY. But Warner did try to let you know through the trailers and the change in the title that this wasn't going to be the comic book movie you wanted. Of course, some people try to avoid spoilers, so I can imagine there were those who went into the theatre expecting one thing and got a bait and switch.

I try to set aside any expectations when I go into a movie. Still, what I saw in the advance publicity made me think it was going to be a train wreck. So maybe that's why I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so bad as I had been led to believe.

For me it's all about the egg sandwich. That's what got me hooked into the plot and seeing how that quest played out was enough to satisfy me. I'm ruled by my stomach.