Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I see this run as a reintroduction to the character. A lot of it has been about reintroducing the character and his world, bringing back popular elements we have seen before, but changing how he interacts with those elements. Take Bludhaven for example. Since its introduction Dick would almost never acknowledge his Titans friends. To the point where it was kind of a thing. This run made that a story point. Before with Bludhaven Dick was a bartender and a cop. He was rich but quietly so. His wealth simply existed to make things more convenient. Now he's a billionaire philanthropist promising to invest into the city. Dick Grayson has now become a figure in Bludhaven not just as Nightwing. The run has been a slow burn, but the important challenges and moments it has created so far has been about his character. With a bigger focuses on his interpersonal relationships and less on traditional superhero feats. With the scene in this preview here. The takeaway isn't that Dick lost, but him jumping headfirst into an unwinnable fight. Jumping in with out a net. But heres the thing, as it turns out he's has a net. And this has been feature of this run. Babs. Babs is his net.
    I feel like after "Ric" there's a need for something back to basics but we also got back to basics with Seeley's run.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like after "Ric" there's a need for something back to basics but we also got back to basics with Seeley's run.
    What basics do you see? What elements of Dick's personality and skill sets do you see? What makes this version of Dick distinctly Dick Grayson and Nightwing for you?

Again, I'm seriously interested. I find how perception differ interesting.

Incredible Member

Why can't you do both? Seeley wrote a likeable and competent Dick. So did Dixon.

That's entirely why people would be expecting him to be more competent and do more in his own solo book.
    I'd expect those who've read comics/Nightwing for a while to see the current run for what it is i.e. a character focus/study as against fisticuffs and "feats" which (the latter) is already well established. It might just be the amount of time being spent on this character study vs. what we know of NW. As you mentioned, past writers have had a slightly better balance (though I wasn't a fan of Seeley's run). Anyway, perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    But this book will more than likely be a major starting point for future Nightwing fans. And in this book, Dick isn't portrayed as being capable of beating up so and so. He's impulsive and doesn't plan ahead, it's very close to fandom Dick. Now it's not quite that bad, but from this book would you believe Dick was Batman for a year? No, he doesn't seem competent enough to be Batman which I dislike.
    ^Yeah, I'll give you this and that is where the issue of balance is key.

His character/personality et la is a (critical) foundation to who he is as a hero but the action, his capabilities and all that should be showcased more in the run to cater to future fans.

Incredible Member

I guess for me I appreciate those character bits but I would like to see more stuff like where he single-handedly gets through an entire sub of Supervillains on his own, which I don't think we'd see in this run.
    He just took out a “top” untouchable assassin last issue and thanks to his ingenuity also destroyed that assassins network.

I’m surprised so many people love Seeleys run. It was okay but kinda cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    He just took out a “top” untouchable assassin last issue and thanks to his ingenuity also destroyed that assassins network.

I’m surprised so many people love Seeleys run. It was okay but kinda cheesy.
    I like Seeley's run a lot, it's certainly much better than the current Robins book he is writing.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I like Seeley's run a lot, it's certainly much better than the current Robins book he is writing.
    I liked Better than Batman and parts of the rest. But some of the dialogue read as something no adult would actually say. Kind of "after school special" type dialogue. I also did not like him bringing back Doctor Hurt for nothing. If your going going to use Hurt, you gotta go big.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I'd expect those who've read comics/Nightwing for a while to see the current run for what it is i.e. a character focus/study as against fisticuffs and "feats" which (the latter) is already well established. It might just be the amount of time being spent on this character study vs. what we know of NW. As you mentioned, past writers have had a slightly better balance (though I wasn't a fan of Seeley's run). Anyway, perspectives.

^Yeah, I'll give you this and that is where the issue of balance is key.

His character/personality et la is a (critical) foundation to who he is as a hero but the action, his capabilities and all that should be showcased more in the run to cater to future fans.
    I don't know that I am a "long time fan" but have read all of the Nightwing issues, Titan, and Dick as Robin I could find (whew some were wild). I think my perception differed in that I don't see a character study in the current run. I don't see the character of Dick Grayson at all. I don't see his determination and focus, his skill, his intelligence, intuition and processing skills, his wanderlust, his explosive temper, his self doubt, his compassion, his passion for life and joy in being Nightwing...and the corresponding deep lows that come from those passions. Dick has always seemed to live out loud in prior runs...even during the Ric arc. Here he seems more like an echo, or even a pinball bounced around by the plot. So, I just don't see the character study. And frankly I have enjoyed some of Taylor's other works. Wish he didn't assume he knows more than his readers, but he can write.

Interesting how it looks like we are shifting from back to basics to experimental every few years? Tomasi's run -> Dick as Batman -> New 52 Nightwing -> Grayson -> Rebirth Nightwing -> Ric -> Taylor's Run. I wonder whats next? Dick Grayson in space?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder whats next? Dick Grayson in space?
    Even that’s been done albeit for a story arc in NTT not a status quo.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

What if Nightwing went on a mystical detective adventure with Detective Chimp? He’s got detective skills, he’s known characters like Raven, and who doesn’t love Detective Chimp.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Was there a rewrite or something?

Absolutely nothing happened as was solicited.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Was there a rewrite or something?

Absolutely nothing happened as was solicited.
    I also wondered about that. There were so many paged dedicated to the flashback that there was no space left for much else.
    We still have no clue where Dick lives right now. It seems like something that needed to be addressed sooner rather than later.
    I assume this issue was meant to be a jumping-on point for all those who ditched the book following the crossover and tie-ins, and while the character moments were good, almost nothing happened plot-wise.

I kind of understand peoples concern about Alfred when it seems like writers keep writing Bruce as emotionally incapable of responding to people properly, especially Dick, without Alfred telling him what to do.

The cameos were nice.

I genuinely liked that Dick just starred down Roland and brought in freaking Superman (Jon) to help out, not to mention that scene with him unmasking the vandals and having oracle record their faces was great
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Nothing really happened in this issue, just the final page. But it was a good read.
    The art was excellent, I don't know if it came from Bruno or Taylor, but it hit hard.