Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This run wants you to like the character for his character more so then because he can beat up so and so. It’s trying to establish the reason readers would want to see Dick accomplish things or win fights in the first place.
    You can do both, plenty of writers do. But even if that was the case all Taylor has been saying is that he's a nice guy and people like him. All of the characters in this run are.

Edit: If anything I think bringing in the Teen Titans last run sort of trivialized much of the conflict here given the low level nature of the conflict and all.
    Last edited by The World; 05-15-2022 at 03:37 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Spectacular Member

This run wants you to like the character for his character more so then because he can beat up so and so. It’s trying to establish the reason readers would want to see Dick accomplish things or win fights in the first place.
    That is an interesting take on the run. I dropped the run as I liked Dick less and less. In prior runs, I was drawn to how the character faced real challenges on physical, interpersonal and emotional levels. I often saw his physical struggles as a non meta to be an not just visual representation of his internal struggles, but an outgrowth of that struggle.
    From your perspective, what elements of the character have evolved? What are the changes you see from the Dick at the start of the run to now?

I'm asking seriously. Dick is my favorite character. I want to read and like the run. I'd like to see what you.

Why can't you do both? Seeley wrote a likeable and competent Dick. So did Dixon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    ^This. Especially as we all already know that he is capable of beating up so and so.

It's just a different storytelling perspective of a well established character.

That said, I would still like a bit more action in each issue but I'm far from "upset" with the run as some others.
    That's entirely why people would be expecting him to be more competent and do more in his own solo book.

I genuinely like this run, after the relative disaster that was “Ric” for about two years I’m glad to have this run. Where Dick is just going on fun adventures, seeing his friends and characters related to him, and occasionally crossing over with other comics (Batman and Superman). I’m not looking for anything to deep.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    ^This. Especially as we all already know that he is capable of beating up so and so.
    But this book will more than likely be a major starting point for future Nightwing fans. And in this book, Dick isn't portrayed as being capable of beating up so and so. He's impulsive and doesn't plan ahead, it's very close to fandom Dick. Now it's not quite that bad, but from this book would you believe Dick was Batman for a year? No, he doesn't seem competent enough to be Batman which I dislike.

What's Batman going to get lectured about this time?
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I genuinely like this run, after the relative disaster that was “Ric” for about two years I’m glad to have this run. Where Dick is just going on fun adventures, seeing his friends and characters related to him, and occasionally crossing over with other comics (Batman and Superman). I’m not looking for anything to deep.
    Oh, I'm all for fun action and character banter, but I don't think it's expecting anything deep to want the protagonist of the book to maybe do more and be portrayed as capable/self-sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

What's Batman going to get lectured about this time?

Oh, I'm all for fun action and character banter, but I don't think it's expecting anything deep to want the protagonist of the book to maybe do more and be portrayed as capable/self-sufficient.
    But I consider him as capable. I see him utilizing his resources and personality to help the poor of Bludhaven with the Pennyworth foundation all while blockbuster is on his back, helping out Jon Kent and being a mentor to him when he needs it, his quick thinking in taking down that assassin order last issue whose name I’m not even gonna try to pronounce, and all while doing this with friends who he’s known for years and care about him.

At least that’s how I look at it, you might see things differently/disagree and that’s okay. To each their own....though maybe three issues dedicated to Fear State was a bit much.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-15-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

But I consider him as capable. I see him utilizing his resources and personality to help the poor of Bludhaven with the Pennyworth foundation all while blockbuster is on his back, helping out Jon Kent and being a mentor to him when he needs it, his quick thinking in taking down that assassin order last issue whose name I’m not even gonna try to pronounce, and all while doing this with friends who he’s known for years and care about him.

At least that’s how I look at it, you might see things differently/disagree and that’s okay. To each their own....though maybe three issues dedicated to Fear State was a bit much.
    I guess for me I appreciate those character bits but I would like to see more stuff like where he single-handedly gets through an entire sub of Supervillains on his own, which I don't think we'd see in this run.

Yeah you've made some good points here. My issue stems from how this is presented, in Nightwing #88 Dick is milliseconds from being shot but Wally saves him. Dick would have been shot had Barbara not taken initiative and contacted the Titans, Dick did not plan ahead. This is, imo, a presentation of Dick who is unable to care for himself. From how the story is written so that it can be assumed that had Barbara not contacted the Titans, Dick would have been shot because he failed to prepare for a sniper when he already knew there was a price on his head and he was scheduled to speak in a public place.

He lacks agency. I appreciate his connections to the wider DCU are being acknowledged, but Dick feels like a passenger in his own book.

The criticism about him being helped too much is a fair one, but i feel like people nitpick on this book more than usual. Especially the ones that don't like Bludhaven and Barbara Gordon.

But there is no way to please everyone, so i made my peace with it.
    I'm enjoying the series a lot, but i right now want something less episodic and with more meaning. I'm hoping the next arc is the start of this.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Nightwing #92 Preview
    Writer: Tom Taylor
    Artist: Bruno Redondo

Really looking forward to this. I love Taylor. I actually love everything he is doing with the character.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The criticism about him being helped too much is a fair one, but i feel like people nitpick on this book more than usual. Especially the ones that don't like Bludhaven and Barbara Gordon.

But there is no way to please everyone, so i made my peace with it.
    I'm enjoying the series a lot, but i right now want something less episodic and with more meaning. I'm hoping the next arc is the start of this.
    Honestly I'm fine with Bludhaven and Barbara, but protagonists being capable and self-reliant is a big sticking point for me in general.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Really looking forward to this. I love Taylor. I actually love everything he is doing with the character.
    I guess that is my question. What is it you see being done with the character? How has Dick grown as either Dick Grayson or Nightwing?

I don't see getting rich and throwing money at a problem as growth. I believe it was a Detective Comic that showed Bruce funded an orphanage/group home. Then he realized just giving the money didn't stop the children being trafficked and killed. In the issue he and Damian learned that even though the numbers added up, just having a foundation fund a charity wasn't enough. Bruce needed to give personal attention to the groups he funded and not just to the reports. Kind if like Dick now funding an organization that had killed people.

Similarly, on the mentoring point, Dick is mentoring Jon. Jon who is Superman, has a supportive mother, a supportive grandfather, supportive friends , a team and boyfriend. While the child Dick mentored for years, whose mom had the child killed, a villain grandfather, three siblings with tentative relationships, a father who tips over the line to emotional abuse, no friends, a team that last we saw literally hate him, and no money or resources as far as Dick know....was in an actual Death Tournament and died two *more* times. Added to which, he apparently didn't even tell the child's father about the death tournament. I guess I just don't see that as growth as a mentor from Dick's days as Batman or a mentor to Jason and Tim....or the Titans.

I really want to see it, but I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by OOPS View Post
    That is an interesting take on the run. I dropped the run as I liked Dick less and less. In prior runs, I was drawn to how the character faced real challenges on physical, interpersonal and emotional levels. I often saw his physical struggles as a non meta to be an not just visual representation of his internal struggles, but an outgrowth of that struggle.
    From your perspective, what elements of the character have evolved? What are the changes you see from the Dick at the start of the run to now?

I'm asking seriously. Dick is my favorite character. I want to read and like the run. I'd like to see what you.
    I see this run as a reintroduction to the character. A lot of it has been about reintroducing the character and his world, bringing back popular elements we have seen before, but changing how he interacts with those elements. Take Bludhaven for example. Since its introduction Dick would almost never acknowledge his Titans friends. To the point where it was kind of a thing. This run made that a story point. Before with Bludhaven Dick was a bartender and a cop. He was rich but quietly so. His wealth simply existed to make things more convenient. Now he's a billionaire philanthropist promising to invest into the city. Dick Grayson has now become a figure in Bludhaven not just as Nightwing. The run has been a slow burn, but the important challenges and moments it has created so far has been about his character. With a bigger focuses on his interpersonal relationships and less on traditional superhero feats. With the scene in this preview here. The takeaway isn't that Dick lost, but him jumping headfirst into an unwinnable fight. Jumping in with out a net. But heres the thing, as it turns out he's has a net. And this has been feature of this run. Babs. Babs is his net.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-15-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Spectacular Member

Unfortunately, those are all reasons I dropped. I'm glad it's working for you, though. Since the sales numbers and reviews are good, I'm obviously in the minority in my opinion