Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I will see Remo Williams (I don't care about its casting choice), but so far Tremors was my big exposure to Fred, and he and Bacon kill it in that. One of those rare movies that walks the tightrope of horror and comedy perfectly.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-18-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Real reasons and logic for complaining about changing the race of pre existing characters:
    1. Bigots get upset at the sight of minorities
    That's a terrible and misguided oversemplification. I'm not a bigot and I have NO problems with minorities. I have problems with big companies changing the ethnicity of the characters which I love just because it's fashionable and trendy. It's a pretty pathetic way to make money from propaganda.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As for the yellowface aspect I will say Joel Grey did an impressive job I didn't know it was him or even a Caucasian until I was in my teens and I saw this as a kid.

So while I don't agree with the casting even for the time period it was the 80s James Shigeta, James Hong, or Mako (Pat Morita is too obvious of a choice) would had done equally fantastic in the role as Joel Grey.
    Pat Morita was 100% wooden and not plausible as Master of Sinanju.

Maybe they picked Joel because:

"Joel Grey (born Joel David Katz; April 11, 1932) is an American actor, singer, dancer, photographer and theatre director. He is best known for portraying the Master of Ceremonies in the musical Cabaret on Broadway as well as in the 1972 film adaptation. He has won an Academy Award, a Tony Award, and a Golden Globe Award."

Agility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post

"Joel Grey (born Joel David Katz; April 11, 1932) is an American actor, singer, dancer, photographer and theatre director. He is best known for portraying the Master of Ceremonies in the musical Cabaret on Broadway as well as in the 1972 film adaptation. He has won an Academy Award, a Tony Award, and a Golden Globe Award."

Agility.
    I only mentioned Pat Morita because that's who an 80's producer would suggest I myself wouldn't like him in the role. The 3 actors are candidates I think could had been great.

That's a terrible and misguided oversemplification. I'm not a bigot and I have NO problems with minorities. I have problems with big companies changing the ethnicity of the characters which I love just because it's fashionable and trendy. It's a pretty pathetic way to make money from propaganda.
    The issue of diversity and representation isn't just about being "fashionable and trendy" - calling it that is "a terrible and misguided oversimplification." And in terms of making money from propaganda, what about the decades of "big companies" non-stop pushing of straight, white male (and usually American) exceptionalism that dominated media? (because that was just as much propaganda and just as much about following trends to make money - why do you think they had Remo Williams learns martial arts in the first place? (just to swing back to the thread topic...))
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-03-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

You're assuming that the original stories are 100% free from outside agenda or propaganda. This is false.

The comics industry spent decades refusing to have any minority or POC characters to avoid boycotts by racist distributors. Those stories were created under the agenda/propaganda that only white males could be a hero. Insisting that modern day adaptations adhere to the original ethnicity with 0% changes is continuing that agenda.

Adaptations can recognize that our culture, society, and attitudes on diversity have changed from the days of segregation, and modern stories should reflect that.

Astonishing Member

Agility.
    Are you trying to argue that only white people can be agile?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    why do you think they had Remo Williams learns martial arts in the first place? (just to swing back to the thread topic...))
    Because it's extremely cool to see a former American fat cop turning into a different man, learning ancient and secret martial arts and becoming a better man in the process. Regeneration/Resurrection.

Enjoy the ride! It's a wonderful story. Brilliant movie. Cult classic.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 06-03-2022 at 02:04 PM.

BANNED

Are you trying to argue that only white people can be agile?
    No. But it was extremely cool to see Joel Grey moving the way he does. Life is simple. Enjoy it.

Also, they turned an American man into a Korean man. Big challenge, nice special effect. Oscar nomination. That's priceless! Forget the propaganda, movies are cool.

Astonishing Member

No. But it was extremely cool to see Joel Grey moving the way he does. Life is simple. Enjoy it.

Also, they turned an American man into a Korean man. Big challenge, nice special effect. Oscar nomination. That's priceless! Forget the propaganda, movies are cool.
    Breakfast at Tiffany’s is considered a classic. But the yellow face scenes are dogshit. The bigger challenge would have been to look for an Asian actor who could bring the same comedic energy and physicality. The producers never even tried.

Because it's extremely cool to see a former American fat cop turning into a different man, learning ancient and secret martial arts and becoming a better man in the process. Regeneration/Resurrection.

Enjoy the ride! It's a wonderful story. Brilliant movie. Cult classic.
    Yes, I definitely enjoyed it when I was a kid. I was pointing out that having a hero become proficient at martial arts in the 80's was following a trend. So there's no sense in decrying movies for following trends, since they always have. Otherwise, you're just being selective as to which trends are fine and which aren't - which falls into the realm of personal taste.

BANNED

Breakfast at Tiffany’s is considered a classic. But the yellow face scenes
    Yes, but 'Remo' got an Oscar nomination. Terrific make-up job.

By the way... could we talk about the movie itself?
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 06-04-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Yes, but 'Remo' got an Oscar nomination. Terrific make-up job.
    By the way... could we talk about the movie itself?
    1) We can agree to disagree about the make-up. Even as a kid I thought he looked weird and it took me out of it.
    2) It's part of the movie
    3) Nobody's stopping you from bringing up other topics regarding the movie.