Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"I can't imagine it" isn't the same as "it's a bad idea." We haven't seen anything of how they plan to handle it, so I'm waiting until there's actually something in front of us to criticize.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My thoughts exactly. By the standards of today, Al Bundy & co. said and did many extremely offensive things. While I thought most of it was funny I have thicker skin than a lot of younger people these days. It would be like rebooting my all-time favorite sitcom Sandford and Son; there is no way the character of Fred Sandford could cut loose on all the groups he hated (from immigrants to feminists to young people to the LGBTQ+ Community) as he did back in the 1970s.
    Let's be fair, people thought it was offensive back when it originally aired. What happened though was that the protests and boycotts against the show, actually created alot a free publicity and inadvertently made it more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’d argue you can’t do it without the audience reactions either.
    Yeah, and let's not kid ourselves. A lot of people, especially young men, watched that show for Christina Applegate.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Let's be fair, people thought it was offensive back when it originally aired. What happened though was that the protests and boycotts against the show, actually created alot a free publicity and inadvertently made it more popular.
    Back then it was the religious right that called for boycotts and cancellation, now it's the "religious left."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Yeah, and let's not kid ourselves. A lot of people, especially young men, watched that show for Christina Applegate.
    Not just. Katey Sagal's Peg Bundy had more than her fair share of amorous fans...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not just. Katey Sagal's Peg Bundy had more than her fair share of amorous fans...
    I can personally vouch for this. My crush on peg is why I watched the show as a kid.

I think this could work. It could obviously go badly in many different ways (too woke, too conservative, too bland) but if they have the guts to make it interesting, and the discipline to make it smart (in the same way that South Park is smart), it could be good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Theres also a similar issue with alot of these older revivals is the Boomer Humour doesn't work anymore. People mock the "I hate my wife/I hate my life" genre because it's pathetic. These days if you hate your wife people just say "Shut up complaining and divorce her then" or push for personal growth if they claim to "hate their life".

Edit -

Thinking about it, the only move I think they could take that wouldn't consign this to a stale family guy/simpsons riff in this day and age is a radical one. They Bel Air it, drop alot of the humour and focus on the drama. Bundy is miserable with his life, lets adress that rather then laughing at it. The mans having difficulties with his relationship with his wife and kids, doesn't really understand them and is very angry with the world because he feels like he hasn't got his.
    Last edited by jetengine; 05-17-2022 at 12:25 AM.

nice. But who will be the writers? They have to move beyond the settings of the living room, the shoe store, etc.

I'm not sure what direction they'd go in. I'd say they could stand to do more social satire rather than "chicken legs" jokes. No point in having a laugh track.

Bring back Marcy's first husband Steve and make him a co-character, too.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Theres also a similar issue with alot of these older revivals is the Boomer Humour doesn't work anymore. People mock the "I hate my wife/I hate my life" genre because it's pathetic. These days if you hate your wife people just say "Shut up complaining and divorce her then" or push for personal growth if they claim to "hate their life".

Edit -

Thinking about it, the only move I think they could take that wouldn't consign this to a stale family guy/simpsons riff in this day and age is a radical one. They Bel Air it, drop alot of the humour and focus on the drama. Bundy is miserable with his life, lets adress that rather then laughing at it. The mans having difficulties with his relationship with his wife and kids, doesn't really understand them and is very angry with the world because he feels like he hasn't got his.
    The "I hate my wife" humor worked with the show because Peg was a gold digger, would often neglect her duties as a wife and unappreciative of things Al did for the family. If she didn't get pregnant when Al got hurt she would have been long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Which would make it a stale riff on everything from "Save the Tiger" to "American Beauty" to "Breaking Bad" (albeit without the meth).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The more I think about the idea, the less I like it.

There's a lot of reason why I don't think it would work.

A lot of the humor actually came from the actors expressions and you can't copy that in animation.

Likewise, another good hunk of humor came from what it couldn't show. It would describe the fat women at the shoe store, Peg's mom, and how Al Bundy's car was more rust than car, but it couldn't show it. Having the ability to show it, you loose the impact.

Also, we watched the characters grow up. Literally. Bud started out as a little kid and was in college when the show went off the air. It's hard to walk that back.

Most importantly though, Married with Children inspired Simpsons and Family Guy, so to turn that right back around and make Married inspired by SImposns makes the whole thing feel like a bad imitation of itself.
    honestly, I can't see this argument as valid. the tone and scope of the humor was really different for each show. MWC seemed to carry on the tradition of "the Honeymooners" and "All in the Family" while trying to be a satire of the idealized family in the Cosby Show.

the Simpsons started out as an animated short on the Tracy Ullman show in 1987... which means that they would have started at roughly the same time. most sources I've looked at suggest that Groening based the characters loosely on his own life experiences. all of the characters, apart from Bart Simpson (who would take up Matt Groening's place), use the same names as his family! (Marge, Homer, Lisa, Maggie)

I do agree with your assessment that "Married with Children" is NOT a concept that lends itself well to animation. all of the writing was very slapstick and stage oriented. animation is a time-consuming and laborious art form... and the writing for MWC seems very inappropriate and ill-suited for it.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    True, but back then there wasn't the scourge of Social Media to amplify the voices of the perpetually and often professionally offended to thunderous proportions,,,*sigh* those were the days....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."