View Poll Results: Should Captain Marvel be renamed Captain Thunder?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

12 18.46%
  • No!

20 30.77%
  • Shazam is fine.

24 36.92%
  • Captain _________ would be better.

9 13.85%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default The change DC should make to Shazam immediately

For those who don't know, Captain Marvel wasn't the original name of Billy Batson's alter ego. It was Captain Thunder and remained so until Fawcett learned that a character with the same name was already copyrighted. They went to Captain Marvel as it was available and the rest is history.

For decades now, DC's solution to Marvel's copyright of the name is to call Captain Marvel "Shazam" both on cover and in the comics themselves. While Geoff Johns wrote his way around that in the New 52 era, it's still a clumsy solution that ultimately makes little sense. It's akin to Johnny Storm calling himself "Flame On!" instead of The Human Torch.

Johns used the Captain Thunder name in Flashpoint and Morrison referred to Captain Marvel's Earth-Five as "Thunderworld" in Multiversity.

So, I think DC should just rename the character Captain Thunder. That also gives us Captain Thunder Jr., Mary Thunder, and the Thunders.

Shazam returns to being only the transformative word.

If the choice is between Captain Thunder and Shazam, I'd much prefer Captain Thunder. Shazam is an awful name for the character.
    Now, I'd prefer if they just kept to calling him Captain Marvel even if they can't use the name as a comic title. Calling the title Shazam and the character Captain Marvel works fine imo.

I think the name used should still be "Captain Marvel" within the comic. The front cover title could include "Shazam," "Whiz" or "Marvel Family" featuring the Original Capt. Marvel."

I would absolutely change his name to Captain Thunder. It’s a much better name than just “Shazam”.

It seems like Johns tried to make it happen with Flashpoint but DC didn’t make the change. Could’ve had to do with marketing.

Shazam as a name is recognizable and now that there’s a film franchise the chances of it changing are slim to none.

Though “Captain Thunder and the power of Shazam” has a nice ring to it.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-14-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Captain Thunder is trademarked and can't be used. DC has used the name Captain Thunder before but i think since it can't be used. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/William_Fawcett_(Earth-276)

They’re not gonna use the name Captain Marvel when their direct competitor now has an extremely high profile character by that name. The situation was awkward enough even before CM became a big mainstream deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Captain Thunder is trademarked and can't be used. DC has used the name Captain Thunder before but i think since it can't be used. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/William_Fawcett_(Earth-276)
    I've checked the PTO website, and the Captain Thunder trandemark has expired.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Should Captain Marvel be renamed Captain Thunder?
    ^^^Nooooooooooo.

There’s nothing wrong w. the Captain Thunder name. For someone else…:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Like Robotman said though…:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Shazam as a name is recognizable and now that there’s a film franchise the chances of it changing are slim to none.

No.

I would rather Captain Shazam.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I think the name used should still be "Captain Marvel" within the comic. The front cover title could include "Shazam," "Whiz" or "Marvel Family" featuring the Original Capt. Marvel."
    This. Captain Marvel. And Marvel's version be damned. Audiences are smarter nowadays, they can figure it out.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I believe that name has previously been claimed . . .

Don't know if DC can jump in and claim it at present.

And there might be a lot of ill-will if they tried to take it away from Roy Thomas . . .