Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default WildC.A.T.s #5 Preview

WildC.A.T.s #5 Preview
    Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist: Stephen Segovia

Segovia's art feels more anime-inspired here, or at least that's the vibe I'm getting.

Weird how young Caitlin Fairchild is in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Segovia's art feels more anime-inspired here, or at least that's the vibe I'm getting.

Weird how young Caitlin Fairchild is in this.
    The weird part is that it seems that in every issue she looks younger and younger, or at least that is the feeling that I have.

Amazing Member

I kinda like that after all the weirdness that Deadshot has been exposed to "the whole persona body switch thing" that there is still disbelief at the entire concept that Zannah is as long lived as she says.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Its kinda sweet Zealot's odd devotion in Grifter despite absolutely no one liking him

Also time to see whats Majestic's deal here

Superman about to have some words with a fake kryptonian.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

So Kat is like a child who becomes young woman?

Incredible Member

The only aspect of this run that I find remotely interesting is what they're doing with Deathblow. That said, there hasn't been much time given to exploring this concept.

Like what exactly is the plot? Just seems to be a bunch of random things happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    The only aspect of this run that I find remotely interesting is what they're doing with Deathblow. That said, there hasn't been much time given to exploring this concept.

Like what exactly is the plot? Just seems to be a bunch of random things happening.
    Well if I recall the Wildcats were a secret underground team that ran afoul of the Court of owls. Grifter pressed the matter causing the Court to out the existence of Wildcats so the Halo Corp created the seven soldiers of victory as a cover team. However Grifter is still causing problems causing him to quit/get fired where he found himself in a war zone and is presumably faking his death or something and now the wildcats are at odds with the seven soldiers.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't have that much experience with Wildstorm beyond Authority mainly but I did read several issues of Captain Atom Armageddon which did heavily feature Mr. Majestic.

And he does feel like a huge downgrade here compare to his classic self who is sort of a heroic Omni-Man in that sense. Judging by his reaction to Superman, Caitlin's claim that he's actually a child may appear to be true.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if Mr.Majestic is some kinda Bizaro clone? Just speculation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Well if I recall the Wildcats were a secret underground team that ran afoul of the Court of owls. Grifter pressed the matter causing the Court to out the existence of Wildcats so the Halo Corp created the seven soldiers of victory as a cover team. However Grifter is still causing problems causing him to quit/get fired where he found himself in a war zone and is presumably faking his death or something and now the wildcats are at odds with the seven soldiers.
    I hear you. But I ask myself why/to what end?

Why create the 7 Soldiers? Why does Halo have to have a team out there (especially if the Wildcats were meant to be a covert team)? Why is there a WC vs 7S clash especially as they both supposedly work for Halo?

I haven't identified the overarching plot. That thread that connects everything. And we're 5 issues in...

Grifter being Grifter has become standard. But that's not really part of the plot.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

Agreed. I really wanted a good Wildcats book, but I’m almost giving up.
    It feels like Rosenberg doesn’t have a clear enough idea of why the team exists and what these characters’ motivations are.
    Couple that with very questionable and arbitrary changes (Fairchild, Majestic) and it doesn’t make for the must compelling read.

Hell I am confused how the dynamics here work exactly, like why is Cole hired exactly?

Barring Zealot and Caitlin everyone in this book violently despises him which begs the question why exactly Marlowe keeps him hired despite his horrible success rate. Like I've seen this compared to Archer but Archer had a reason for why Archer still has a job despite his lunacy (being the son of the boss) while Cole doesn't have much of a reason beyond something about his dead brother.

And why is Zealot so devoted to him? The comic still hasn't really bothered to explain or develop what their history.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Agreed. I really wanted a good Wildcats book, but I’m almost giving up.
    It feels like Rosenberg doesn’t have a clear enough idea of why the team exists and what these characters’ motivations are.
    Couple that with very questionable and arbitrary changes (Fairchild, Majestic) and it doesn’t make for the must compelling read.
    ^I specifically omitted to mention my extreme disdain for these particular changes as it wasn't the focus of my post but man... I just don't get it. Plus if you were going this way, more clues or outright expositions should have been given as to why by this stage/issue (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Hell I am confused how the dynamics here work exactly, like why is Cole hired exactly?

Barring Zealot and Caitlin everyone in this book violently despises him which begs the question why exactly Marlowe keeps him hired despite his horrible success rate. Like I've seen this compared to Archer but Archer had a reason for why Archer still has a job despite his lunacy (being the son of the boss) while Cole doesn't have much of a reason beyond something about his dead brother.

And why is Zealot so devoted to him? The comic still hasn't really bothered to explain or develop what their history.

It's arguable that Cole is the face of Wildcats. Always has been so I'm not surprised he's there. In fact I'd be hella confused if he was absent.

That said over the years, they've really amped up the cowboyism and whatnot so he comes across as the wildcard of the group - despite the fact that he is highly effective/capable/good at his job. (Not sure when that became a "gimmick" in comics. #Hawkguy). Also the thing with Archer, irrespective of his antics and general craziness, the job always got done (9/10).

As to Zealot's devotion to him, it's always been Grifter and Zealot. In all iterations. They've always had that relationship/ camaraderie so the devotion is not out of place in the slightest. Of course this may only be recognised/understood by readers familiar with Wildcats history.

As to the others despising him, I think it's just "poor" writing. Maxxine and Cole were always friends though, they constantly took swipes/jabs at each other. Deathblow and Grifter have been on the same team in the past so I'd expect more of a sibling rivalry than what we're currently getting.

Summary - I just don't get it...