View Poll Results: Should Captain Marvel be renamed Captain Thunder?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

12 18.46%
  • No!

20 30.77%
  • Shazam is fine.

24 36.92%
  • Captain _________ would be better.

9 13.85%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    As long as they don’t call him Captain Whiz.

Great, now I want to see a character whose power is super-high-pressured urination.

(Having high-pressured liquids blasted at you is actually no laughing matter; a maintenance tech at my job had to be taken to the ER Friday night because his hand got blasted by high-pressured water unexpectedly while he was doing some work on a meatpacking line, and the water wasn't even hot, but he still talked about a "large bubble" (eww) forming on his hand where it got hit by the water.)

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Great, now I want to see a character whose power is super-high-pressured urination...
    And then there's Marvel's Golden Age "The Whizzer".

They could just make Mary the main Marvel since she can actually go by her name.
    Her or Marvel Bunny.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

The thing is the Distinguished Competition doesn't want to over-advertise for MarvelTM. They might be able to get away with using the word "marvel"--but they would be pushing it if they tried to use it as part of a name or title and then trademark that. And what profit would there be for them in that, since they would just be pushing their Marvelous Competition's brand name?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Shazam stuck cuz that's what people knew the character as outside of America so I guess DC stuck with that.
    "Cable was right!"

Retired

Hoppy the Magic Bunny was actually acquired from Fawcett by Charlton, which continued publication of FUNNY ANIMALS starting with issue 84 (April 1954). But now the rabbit was called Happy or Hoppy the Magic Bunny, or similar such names.

Later on, after National Periodicals acquired the license to Captain Marvel from Fawcett, they did do stories featuring Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, but I wonder if they had any right to the character since Charlton had acquired those rights. And I doubt that Charlton sold the rights to Hoppy when they sold Blue Beetle, Captain Atom et al.

Meanwhile, Charlton also had published Thunderbunny in CHARLTON BULLSEYE in 1982--but that was a creator owned character from Martin Greim. Thunderbunny then went on to be published by Archie (Red Circle) and then "WaRP Graphics" and then Apple Comics.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Billy/SHAZAM are hit by magical lightning bolts to transform. Thunder and lightning are different things.

SHAZAM is fine.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    They could just make Mary the main Marvel since she can actually go by her name.
    Her or Marvel Bunny.
    Mary's name is also a no-go. In the latest season of Young Justice, where her name is supposed to be Sergeant Marvel, they go out of their way repeatedly to avoid ever actually saying it in full. Characters either get cut off or interrupted after saying "Sergeant" or just say Sergeant and leave it at that. I don't know where the decision ultimately came down from but it seems WB/DC does not want their characters to have the name Marvel anymore.

Astonishing Member

Captain Magicbolt, Captain Bolt, Captain Marvelbolt, Red Robin..... All kinds of superior choices

They should just switch out the word Marvel for Shazam then, at least for Billy. Mary and Freddy's names need complete updates. With Darla existing Freddy's no longer the youngest Marvel, so calling him Junior no longer makes sense. And Mary's old codename has her real first name in it. Not a good way to hide a secret identity, especially as that name is a lot less common now than it was 80 years ago when she debuted. They could call Mary Sergeant Shazam, which has alliteration like her old codename, and use other ranks for the other four (making sure none outrank Captain of course, even if that means a couple have to use navy instead of army ranks).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Retired

Fawcett comics called Mary the Marvel Girl. When she was revived in the 1970s, National Periodicals called her the Shazam Girl.

But before she was Phoenix, Jean Grey was Marvel Girl. There is also a Marvel Boy, who first appeared in his own title in 1950 and then also in the re-titled ASTONISHING, from Timely/Atlas/Marvel--and he's been revived since then.

I've been wrestling with this naming problem since the 1970s and I've yet to come up with a good solution. It's easier for me to say what I don't want than what I do want. I don't want Billy, Mary or Freddy to be called Shazam--that's the name of the Old Wizard. And I don't want to lose "SHAZAM!" as the magic word that Billy and Mary must say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Captain Thunder is trademarked and can't be used. DC has used the name Captain Thunder before but i think since it can't be used. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/William_Fawcett_(Earth-276)
    I've checked the PTO website, and the Captain Thunder trandemark has expired.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . There is also a Marvel Boy, who first appeared in his own title in 1950 . . .
    There were also one or two guys named "Marvel Boy" from Timely Comics in the 1940s.

It's BOB!

Yeah, I like that...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And then there's Marvel's Golden Age "The Whizzer".
    Even at such an advanced age, "The Whizzer" proved to be too much to handle for The Avengers