View Poll Results: Should Captain Marvel be renamed Captain Thunder?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

12 18.46%
  • No!

20 30.77%
  • Shazam is fine.

24 36.92%
  • Captain _________ would be better.

9 13.85%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I agree that at this point it’s just not a good decision to change the name again. He’ll be Shazam from now on, since using the competition’s name is dumb and Captain Thunder is already taken. I see no point in coming up with a fourth option.
    As for Mary, I don’t think “Sargent” fits her. To me, the best name for her would be Mary Might. It’s similar enough to the old one and keeps the charm and alliteration.
    Or 'The Mighty Mary'.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Retired

The thing is Shazam and Captain Marvel, as names, are completely different flavours. Shazam fits as the name of an ancient shaman and as a magic word, but giving that name to a modern super-hero, in a military styled uniform, doesn't taste right.

I think that, when National Periodicals licensed the character from Fawcett in the early '70s, they were doing so because the first generation of fandom had such a grand opinion of Captain Marvel. For them, he essentially defined the "Golden Age of Comics." He influenced guys like Roy Thomas and E. Nelson Bridwell.

They remembered these big epic adventures, as well as the humour and the extended family. They wanted to bring all that back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing is Shazam and Captain Marvel, as names, are completely different flavours. Shazam fits as the name of an ancient shaman and as a magic word, but giving that name to a modern super-hero, in a military styled uniform, doesn't taste right.

I think that, when National Periodicals licensed the character from Fawcett in the early '70s, they were doing so because the first generation of fandom had such a grand opinion of Captain Marvel. For them, he essentially defined the "Golden Age of Comics." He influenced guys like Roy Thomas and E. Nelson Bridwell.

They remembered these big epic adventures, as well as the humour and the extended family. They wanted to bring all that back.
    And a lot of us older fans were very excited. DC Comics was also reprinting a lot of Golden Age stories at this time. We all had very high hopes.

Cap Thunder?! Ummmmmm NO
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Cap Thunder?! Ummmmmm NO
    Insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Insightful.
    Indeed.

Fantastic Member

1. Change the Main Character back to Captain Marvel...screw marvel comics. You can still use the name.
    2. Change the setting of the book to Grant Morrison's Thunderworld and stop using the Main Earth Marvel. They gave you the opportunity for a whole new set of Universes...use them! I mean you have Mary Marvel and Mary Shazam running around in the comics...why not Captain Marvel. Have Shazam appear in other books, but make the actual title about Captain Marvel.
    3. Whiz comics is out for logical reasons. Again, Grant gave you the title. Use it! Thunderworld!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed.

Damn, Garcia-Lopez is so, so good.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

So, of the 65 people who voted on the "Should Captain Marvel be renamed Captain Thunder?", only 12 voted "Yes!"

Twice as many people voted for "Shazam is fine."

Reality has set in. They’re not changing the name. He’s Shazam now.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Reality has set in. They’re not changing the name. He’s Shazam now.
    I suppose the same is true for Wonder Xena

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    1. Change the Main Character back to Captain Marvel...screw marvel comics. You can still use the name.
    2. Change the setting of the book to Grant Morrison's Thunderworld and stop using the Main Earth Marvel. They gave you the opportunity for a whole new set of Universes...use them! I mean you have Mary Marvel and Mary Shazam running around in the comics...why not Captain Marvel. Have Shazam appear in other books, but make the actual title about Captain Marvel.
    3. Whiz comics is out for logical reasons. Again, Grant gave you the title. Use it! Thunderworld!
    Grant Morrison: Here, DC, I'm giving you a whole new set of Universes.
    DC Comics: Ugh, no thank you. Why would you give us something stupid like that when we have no intention of ever doing anything with them?

I try and try but I really can't see what Grant or Johns offered that wasn't already present with Hypertime

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    "Screw Marvel Comics" is one of those things fans keep saying without really thinking about what it means on a business level. Like yeah, on a purely legal level they could continue using the name, but they're not gonna continue calling him a name that causes people to automatically think of another high profile character from their direct competitor, nor are they gonna continue using a name they can't actually use in marketing or merchandising. In the world of business, such a thing makes no sense unless you're intentionally trying to create brand confusion in hopes people accidentally buy yours instead, like those knockoff Pixar movies made in South America.

The higher ups at WB/DC probably allowed Billy to continue using the name as long as he did because until a relatively short time ago, nobody in the mainstream was all that familiar with Marvel's iteration of Captain Marvel and neither one was being positioned as the lead of a big budget film franchise and tie-in marketing assortment, which is no longer the case. When there's a bunch of money (potential or otherwise) involved, a desire for clear branding is gonna win out.
    Last edited by Holt; 05-30-2022 at 05:47 AM.

Retired

Okay, I get that everyone now is a sniggering child, even people in their eighties, and you can't get away with "Whiz" anymore (what does Kraft do about "Cheez Whiz," I wonder)--but what about "Whiz-Bang," is that off the table, too?