View Poll Results: Should Captain Marvel be renamed Captain Thunder?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

12 18.46%
  • No!

20 30.77%
  • Shazam is fine.

24 36.92%
  • Captain _________ would be better.

9 13.85%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Okay, I get that everyone now is a sniggering child, even people in their eighties, and you can't get away with "Whiz" anymore (what does Kraft do about "Cheez Whiz," I wonder)--but what about "Whiz-Bang," is that off the table, too?
    "Whiz-Bang" sounds a tad . . . silly . . . for the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Whiz-Bang" sounds a tad . . . silly . . . for the 21st century.
    Yeah, it's an even bigger relic of the past than "Whiz" or "Dick" being used unironically, because nobody today uses it at all.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Yeah, it's an even bigger relic of the past than "Whiz" or "Dick" being used unironically, because nobody today uses it at all.
    Well! I can see where I'm not wanted. *harumph*

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Yeah! At one time, "Dick" meant something else (LOL):

Per Mark Waid, he’ll be called “The Captain” in the new series.
    https://twitter.com/Smv_of_Heroes/st...QSkh2A_2bqAw7w

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I think the name used should still be "Captain Marvel" within the comic. The front cover title could include "Shazam," "Whiz" or "Marvel Family" featuring the Original Capt. Marvel."
    This. Captain Marvel. And Marvel's version be damned. Audiences are smarter nowadays, they can figure it out.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

I'd prefer they be called Marvels within the stories -- even if they can't use Marvel as a trademark. I think it is karmic justice for DC that they were to blame for the original Captain Marvel series being cancelled -- and now cannot use the trademark. There is no way DC would have gotten away with trademark infringement now. Aside from powerset, Cap was never similar to Superman.

The Captain. Marvel ship has not only sailed, it’s been at sea indefinitely like one of those mega yachts.
    Last edited by Holt; 02-10-2023 at 12:58 PM.

The thing I don't like currently is that none of the Shazamily has ANY name.
    "Look! It's unnamed superhero to the rescue!"
    There's got to be something better than literally nothing.

Mary does - she's the New Champion of Shazam, or just Shazam for short. She calls herself Shazam in the last issue of the New Champion mini, and then in Lazarus Planet when Billy comes back she's addressed as New Champion. A reporter (who doesn't know her real name) does nearly call her Miss M- but is interrupted by Darla who repeats what Mary had said earlier in the issue and says her name is Shazam.

In Teen Titans Academy Donna Troy actually referred to Billy as "Captain freaking Shazam" at one point, so they've been setting up Billy calling himself Captain. The other four are depowered anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Considering it looks like everything from Johns run is gone; safe to assume only Freddy is left of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The Captain. Marvel ship has not only sailed, it’s been at sea indefinitely like one of those mega yachts.
    Speaking of Marvel (Comics), I wonder if there'll be a problem with calling the Big Red Cheese "The Captain" since that's what Marvel called Steve Rogers back in the late 1980s, back when John Walker was Captain America.

Probably not. The issue with Captain Marvel was never just that it's also the name of a Marvel character. It's that said character Billy shared the name with is now extremely high profile and ubiquitous in a way that makes for confusing branding (especially since DC can't even use it for merchandising while Marvel absolutely does). Marvel hasn't actively marketed Steve Rogers as the Captain in decades.

Incredible Member

I don't see the problem with the Billy being referred to as "Shazam", since he is supposed to be the previous holder of the title replacement. I did think that the transformation process was silly, being that Billy has to have the intention to transform when speaking his magic word. That was a bit clumsy. I'd do this: as Billy, "Shazam!". As Shazam, "Mazahs!" However, he transforms whenever HE wants to, not by accident. My preference.

Incredible Member

I'm deeply split about this. On the one hand, I absolutely hate Mary not being Billy's biological sister and what Jim Lee did to their costumes (And I'm none too fond of the whole "Shazam" name either, but we all know that's a lawyer-driven choice, not a creative one)...

...but on the other, I fully realise that a huge degree of that is nostalgia for the way things were - and if I had somehow fallen onto a Shazam book, I'd feel the need to go to war with the army I had, with what was established for the current versions, not the army I wanted... (although I'd at least have wanted the costumes fixed, if not exactly reverted)

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I don't see the problem with the Billy being referred to as "Shazam", since he is supposed to be the previous holder of the title replacement. I did think that the transformation process was silly, being that Billy has to have the intention to transform when speaking his magic word. That was a bit clumsy. I'd do this: as Billy, "Shazam!". As Shazam, "Mazahs!" However, he transforms whenever HE wants to, not by accident. My preference.
    Eh, if you're going for the reverse-idea, have "Shazam" transform him into super-mode, and "Billy Batson" revert.
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 02-10-2023 at 10:41 PM.