Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-forums book club?

Would anyone be interested in a X-Men book club here on the forums? The idea I have is once a month we can take a vote on a few old X-books to go back and revisit and then have a discussion about what we liked/didn't like/didn't notice before etc, etc. Fairly similar to the reviews we do for current issues, but instead of one issue we would do a TBP or a full story arc. I'm in a local comic book club and it's pretty fun so I was thinking maybe do something strictly X-Men themed here.

I think the rules should be it has to be at least tangentially related to the X-Men, so something like Nextwave would count because it features Boom Boom as a main character, the other rule I was thinking is the book should be at least 5 years old. Finally we would pick a specific time/date on when to open the discussion and then poster's can jump in to the discussion as they see fit. These rules aren't set in stone of course so I would be open to change/adding to them.

If you're interested leave a comment along with a story you'd like to nominate for the first book club reading. If we get 5 or more nominations I'll start a new thread with a poll and we can do a vote.

Alternatively, if you would like I am happy to come up with a list for us to vote on and I can just put up a poll and we can start that way, I promise to give it plenty of variety and not have all options be Wolverine-centric However my initial nomination is Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

This is such a good idea! I love it!

If you guys get it going, I'll try to read along and I'll definitely lurk the thread. I won't promise I'll post anything, though. It'd really depend on how people are going about the discussion part. If it feels like a bunch of comic book geeks happy to give their 2 cents, possibly disagree but eventually move on with no hard feelings? Sure thing. Otherwise... it's just not for me.

But seriously, awesome idea. I hope it works! :)

I think that's a great idea !

I'd like to nominate X-Factor by J.M. DeMatteis

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Love the idea! I nominate Magik by Claremont, Buscema and Frenz.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I nominate Dazzler 38-42.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Okay cool I’m happy to see others are interested! Honestly wasn’t sure if this would take. I’ll give it until the end of today and the. I'll put up the poll with the nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Would anyone be interested in a X-Men book club here on the forums? The idea I have is once a month we can take a vote on a few old X-books to go back and revisit and then have a discussion about what we liked/didn't like/didn't notice before etc, etc. Fairly similar to the reviews we do for current issues, but instead of one issue we would do a TBP or a full story arc. I'm in a local comic book club and it's pretty fun so I was thinking maybe do something strictly X-Men themed here.

I think the rules should be it has to be at least tangentially related to the X-Men, so something like Nextwave would count because it features Boom Boom as a main character, the other rule I was thinking is the book should be at least 5 years old. Finally we would pick a specific time/date on when to open the discussion and then poster's can jump in to the discussion as they see fit. These rules aren't set in stone of course so I would be open to change/adding to them.

If you're interested leave a comment along with a story you'd like to nominate for the first book club reading. If we get 5 or more nominations I'll start a new thread with a poll and we can do a vote.

Alternatively, if you would like I am happy to come up with a list for us to vote on and I can just put up a poll and we can start that way, I promise to give it plenty of variety and not have all options be Wolverine-centric However my initial nomination is Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith.
    That’s a good idea

I nominate Phoenix Resurrection & All new x-factor

I don’t have much free time today but signed on just to show support for this great idea, Wolvie!
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I don’t have much free time today but signed on just to show support for this great idea, Wolvie!
    Ditto!!! 10char

I'm up for it. I might have to miss a mont or two, due to IRL stuff. But this is my jam.

I nominate the 13 issue run of New Mutants vol 2. Specifically the first few issues that introduce the characters, or The Ties that Bind arc, which introduces Surge.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

This sounds like fun. I'll try and join in, at least if I have the issues or they're on Marvel Unlimited.

I'm down for this.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This could be fun. And I'm gonna be That Person and suggest ANAD X-Men Giant Size #1, what with Krakoa's new prominence. XD

I’m at work right now but I’ll have a poll up today. I’m glad people are interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    This could be fun. And I'm gonna be That Person and suggest ANAD X-Men Giant Size #1, what with Krakoa's new prominence. XD
    I'm down and I second this nomination.