Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Also loved the idea ! I used my vote and second vote in support of the book club. So many books I love. Wouldn’t mind having a discussion on ANAD GSXM#1

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Also loved the idea ! I used my vote and second vote in support of the book club. So many books I love. Wouldn’t mind having a discussion on ANAD GSXM#1
    I put a sticky up for the options if you want to cast your vote!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

For the next round I would like to nominate "The Rise and Fall of th Shi'ar Empire" by Ed Brubaker and "Supernovas" by Mike Carey
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I’d also love New X-Men (2004)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    For the next round I would like to nominate "The Rise and Fall of th Shi'ar Empire" by Ed Brubaker and "Supernovas" by Mike Carey
    2nd that! Loved those, and Academy X

An idea like this is exactly why I joined these forums. I'm game. I've recently moved and don't have anyone nearby to engage me in comic discourse. Let me know what we're reading, squad.

Spectacular Member

Some action-packed reading occurs in Uncanny X-Men #111 thru #116 (July '78 to December '78):

- #111: Mesmero enslaves the All-New, All-Different X-Men (including Cyclops and Phoenix) and forces them to perform as part of an an old-fashioned circus freak show. Beast, applying for Avengers membership, wonders about his old friends, tracks them down, and attempts to "rescue" them ...

- #112: It turns Magneto also tracked down the X-Men, and this is his second time facing the ANAD team. He trounced them the first time (a few issues earlier) and he does it again! He imprisons them in his Antarctic base, using shackles that reduce their physical coordination to those of toddlers, thereby making escape impossible. His "nanny" bot is the only thing present to care for them as he wanders off into the world for villainous purposes. No one knows the X-Men are in Antarctica, not even Professor X, so there's no one to save them...

- #113: ... Except Storm! She famously escapes her restraints and helps the others to as well. Magneto returns home after receiving alerts, and the X-Men instigate round three of a no-holds barred fight. The new X-Men have finally started to fight together as a team and trash the Antarctic base in the process. Magma from the active volcano that powers the installation pours into the compromised compound and splits the team - Beast and Phoenix go one way, and Cyclops, Storm, Banshee, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus the other, both parties thinking the other didn't make it.

- #114: While Beast and Phoenix fight for survival in the Antarctic wastes, the rest of the X-Men have managed to find themselves in the tropical Savage Land, home of Kazar, his sabertoothed cat Sabu, and Dinosaurs galore! Also stranded in the Savage Land is the mutant "vampire" Karl Lykos, who just can't resist the temptation to drain bathing beauty Storm. Her anguished cry alerts the X-Men, who are horrified to discover that Lykos has transformed into the monstrous Sauron, who happens to be standing over their sapped teammate.

- #115: A fight with Sauron ensues. However, the encounter further sidetracks the X-Men from their attempt to get back home. Instead, they learn the Savage Land is being destroyed by a priestess named Zaladane and the "god" Garokk, the Petrified Man, who has managed to erect an advanced city that's corrupting the Savage Land. The X-Men vow to help Kazar rescue his homeland...

- #116: The X-Men infiltrate the Sun God's city and must defeat him, Zaladane, and their minions. Wolverine's character has been developed to a point in the series now that the other X-Men find him and his lethal methods worrisome. We (the readers) can sense this is where his popularity stems from... Once the menace is dealt with, the X-Men can finally make their trip home.

The art is beautiful (John Byrne), the action non-stop, and the plotting masterful (Claremont). What's really great about those stories, however, is the character development of the ANAD team. Reading these issues, it's not hard to imagine an ever-growing fanbase that now includes those of us reading these forums, primed for whatever's coming next. These stories are part of the famous "X-Men World Tour" early issues. Although I've managed to present quite a bit above, I haven't given much away. I've always felt there was an Indiana Jones vibe to these stories even though this was a few years before Raiders of the Lost Ark was even released. So fun, and so essential!
    Last edited by Grimsmack; 05-17-2022 at 04:51 PM.

I mean it sounds neat, but Hellion's not involved in it. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    2024: The Year of Hellion

I love this idea...
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Voting has completed and the title Magik by Claremont won for first book club reading. Let’s take a week to give everyone a chance to read it and then I’ll start a discussion thread. If you need more than a week no worries feel free to join in whenever you have the chance. I hope the works out!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.