Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The thing about War Games is it makes the entire idea of Batman fall apart if you actually stop to think about the plot for a second. With other events like Knightfall, No Man's Land, and R.I.P., there is an external factor Batman could not have accounted for. Someone as intelligent as Bane or Dr. Hurt, a once in a millennium earthquake. These are threats or events Bruce could never have predicted when he started out as Batman. They don't say anything about his core effectiveness as Batman. War Games on the other hand is exactly what he became Batman to fight in the first place. War Games' existence proves that Batman is a complete and utter failure. Batman started out fighting the mob, fighting the very people who made up the titular 'war.' If Batman had done the one thing he was created to do, there is no way a simple gang war would ever have gotten so bad as to constitute an even in and of itself. Batman had been active for well over a decade. He had just gone through his 4th Robin. And still the street gangs and the mafia were this powerful and dangerous. The horrible way characters like Steph, Leslie, and Orpheus were treated made it worse, but even at the most basic conceptual level, the very idea of War Games proves that Batman is useless and has done nothing for Gotham in all the years he's been active.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Batman / TMNT Vol 3 for one of the worst. That one was just terrible. It decided to go with a mesh storyline and it simply failed.

Batman / Predator was fantastic and deserves its accolades.
    Too bad we can't use the animated crossover. That was a fun movie.

For me, UTRH is one of the best. Well, at least until Bruce slices Jason's throat, and protects Joker from the blast... Animated movie did that part better at least.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does No Man's Land count as an event or a status quo?
    All 9th issues of the relaunched Bat-family titles as well as All Star Western crossed over with the Court of Owls storyline, although the crossover as a whole was referred to as Night of the Owls.

BANNED

Court of Owls is the most overpraised Bat event in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of Death of the Family either. Though, the King run was far worse. But it's more easily forgotten. Snyder's stories are still highly regarded, despite my thinking that it's kind of undeserved.

BANNED

I think a lot of the 90s stories are the best of the Bat events. Those comics were a renaissance and provided us with stories and characters we regard as classics, despite the fact that it was only around thirty years ago.

Extraordinary Member

If we are talking about the classic big crossover events, I also think the Knightfall saga and No Man's Land were the best and War Games the worst.

If we also count smaller "events" I think Battle for the Cowl and City of Bane (or Tom Kings complete run if you see it as one long story) are also strong contenders for worst.

Best (I have a few): No Mans Land, Knightfall, Court of Owls

Worst: Death to the Family (Joker did not actually cut their faces off???? Come on that would have been more interesting).
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    If we are talking about the classic big crossover events, I also think the Knightfall saga and No Man's Land were the best and War Games the worst.

If we also count smaller "events" I think Battle for the Cowl and City of Bane (or Tom Kings complete run if you see it as one long story) are also strong contenders for worst.
    I remember enjoying Battle for the Cowl when it came out, mostly for the sheer sleaziness of Tony S. Daniel's writing and art, but how Daniel writes Damian takes the crown jewel for comic book writers completely misunderstanding a character. The scene where Oracle ejects a girl Damian picked up, from the Batmobile, only for her to be eaten by Killer Croc is a contender for one of the worst scenes in a comic book ever.

I'm the rare kind of fan who actually enjoys War Games and War Crimes, most things about it work for me. What I don't like about it is the following:
    • Leslie Tompkins purposefully letting a child die and causing her exile from Gotham City.
    • That anchorman who was all "Batman is awesome... yeah" to that one time when Batman saved a school from terrorists but one kid was a casualty he turned 180 degrees and all he says is "Batman brings us misery and chaos"

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Too bad we can't use the animated crossover. That was a fun movie.
    Batman/TMNT was a comic first.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I would have to say my two favorites are.

Batman / Predator. To my child self I felt very wicked reading a Batman title where people were being killed by this crazy alien and Batman has to hunt them down. I also felt like I was putting one over on my parents because they wouldnt let me watch the Predator movies but I was able to smuggle in Batman Predator.

Another great one for me was No Mans Land. Just loved so much about it.

The worst for me was Death To The Family. I didnt really like how dark and crazy it was.

I also didnt enjoy the last two volumes of Batman Ninja Turtles.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does Court of Owls count as an event...
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I'm the rare kind of fan who actually enjoys War Games and War Crimes, most things about it work for me. What I don't like about it is the following:
    • Leslie Tompkins purposefully letting a child die and causing her exile from Gotham City.
    • That anchorman who was all "Batman is awesome... yeah" to that one time when Batman saved a school from terrorists but one kid was a casualty he turned 180 degrees and all he says is "Batman brings us misery and chaos"

Batman/TMNT was a comic first.
    Yeah, but the movie was its own story.

Definitely Knightfall/KnighQuest was the worst. At the height of Batman's popularity and at the time of the Death Of Superman storyline, DC decides to pull a major upset with Batman for sales' sake. The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way and was in no way on board with Jean Paul Valley being the new Batman.

I also didn't like the Killing Joke resulting to Barbara's paralysis and thus, retiring as Batgirl for several years.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Definitely Knightfall/KnighQuest was the worst. At the height of Batman's popularity and at the time of the Death Of Superman storyline, DC decides to pull a major upset with Batman for sales' sake. The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way and was in no way on board with Jean Paul Valley being the new Batman.
    That was the point.

DC spent a whole year doing a meta story explaining why Batman didn't need to follow the popular comic book trend of being an edgy, tortured hero who doled out over the top violence and/or killed. It was also a dig at the movies.

The entire premise is that Batman, and his seemingly outdated values, doesn't need to change to accommodate the current fads as told by replacing him with a Batman that does. And they were right. Look back at Knightfall and imagine if that were actually Bruce.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    That was the point.

DC spent a whole year doing a meta story explaining why Batman didn't need to follow the popular comic book trend of being an edgy, tortured hero who doled out over the top violence and/or killed. It was also a dig at the movies.

The entire premise is that Batman, and his seemingly outdated values, doesn't need to change to accommodate the current fads as told by replacing him with a Batman that does. And they were right. Look back at Knightfall and imagine if that were actually Bruce.
    That's true, but it's also a critique of the dark and gritty 90's trends that gleefully revels in those trends. Knightfall condemned Jean Paul Valley's more vicious and cruel Batman, but also used him cynically to sail the tides of the grim and gritty trend in comics.