Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The only thing I don't like about No Man's Land is the idea that Batman refuses help from Superman. Everything else is fine. Kinda. He's a jerk to Huntress but he's kind of a jerk to everyone, that's more of a general characterization problem at the time than the event problem.

I like the monster design in Monster Men and the kaiju vs bat pod fight. Monster Nightwing is especially cool, but one thing that made me laugh was Batman apparently installed holographic warning system in street lamps. Like, it's not as bad as Moon Batcave, but it's up there.

I really like that Night of The Owls have the timeline up to the minutes. I know that The Court pretty much gave up on secrecy because Batman escaped, that's why they decided to just kill everyone, might as well, but the mistake about secret society controlling things from the shadow is their threat level is significantly reduced once they're found out.

However the biggest problem I have is it began the trend of everyone knowing the Bat fam identity. The Talons found out about Batcave and Manor, that's fine, because they then get cryogenically frozen... but The Court has members in the upper echelons of society that they can just steal them back and defrost them, and by the time we meet them again, they already know everyone's identity, coupled with Dick Grayson's unmasking, Lincoln March and Raptor being one of their numbers, and the retcon much later that they've been watching Dick since he lost his parents. It makes sense for Dick's story, but it gives trouble for the whole thing.

Luckily The Court itself seems to be taking a whatever approach, since they can buy or bribe anything and came back on top again, but it's still too many people knowing the Bat fam identity, and worse, the Bat fam doesn't seem to be concerned with this breach of information. A part of it is what are you gonna do about it, but the other part... there should be something they can do about it. Like, show Oracle erase the database or threaten to take their riches if they blab about the identity or something.

So I find No Man's Land really flawed conceptually because of the shared universe effect, but in story itself it's executed really well, while The Court has a great, scary idea that is really terrible in the execution and aftermath
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-20-2022 at 11:37 AM.

BANNED

The problem with Court of Owls and many of Snyder's concepts in the unnecessary retcon of past events to involve a secret plan or tradition that we just so happened to never have heard about all of these years. It's tired.